The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank you for sharing that Shanny. The LCHF food pyramid shown in the presentation was very informative to me - seeing it in that form.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
This is a great bunch of presentations. I watched 6 yesterday and will see the rest today. Another very informative one was Dr Caryn Zinn , a registered Dietitian who teaches low carb and tells of her experience dealing with the Dietitian community who fight her and refuse to be open minded. It shows how it is an uphill battle but she feels that she is gaining support. We need more people that are willing to buck the crowd, but it takes a lot of determination to go against idea that " we know it's right because it's always been this way, don't try to confuse me with facts "
Thanks for the link. Much of this information we already know but it's great to hear it from experts.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I finished watching the rest of the presentations today. I really get a lot of enjoyment out of this. These are some of the people that are going to help the world to finally start to come to the realization that what we have been told for decades is wrong.

·
Super Moderator
9,533 Posts
Wish they'd graph a VLCHF example, this looks good but it is still twice the carbs many of us eat. Do we just assume we are even better?

Reactions: Patdart

·
Registered
356 Posts
Do you remember which presentation had that chart?
Prof. Tim Noakes - 'Medical aspects of the low carbohydrate lifestyle. I really enjoyed his presentation. His presentation was second to last.

Reactions: jp_az

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
I've been watching the videos and am blown away at the volume of scientific research that supports the LCHF way of eating. Yet, the medical community is not going to budge because they would have to admit they are wrong.

A statement that resounded with me is that people are born insulin resistant, they don't develop it. What develops is the degree of IR, which eventually shows up as metabolic syndrome, etc. etc. And the degree of IR is an individual thing (which we know all too well). Some people (raises hand) need to reduce carb consumption to very low level (ketosis) in order to counteract or nullify IR. Others not as much.

Another thing brought out by the speakers is the link between carbs and inflammation and that it's this inflammation that sets up the possibility of so many diseases - CVD, gastrointestinal disease and cancer, all cancers really, hypertension.... etc etc

I am more than ever convinced that when I stop eating carbs, I stop the inflammation, and I give myself a higher chance of avoiding even cancer. I have a history if IBS, which is generally thought to be caused by inflammation. On a ketogenic diet I am certain (in the absence of any test) that there is no longer any inflammation in my gut. Haven't had IBS symptoms for years (ever since going gluten-free, and especially lowering carbs).

By the way, I did have breast cancer years ago (non-invasive, en sito). Most of the time since then I've been sort of low-carb, and the last 10 years gluten-free - being VLC/HF these last 4 years. I think my WOE is a better cancer prevention than anything else I could have done. I guess time will tell.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I do believe that I have been insulin resistant all my life. I was in the "eat carbs, BG goes low, crave carbs" cycle since I was 7 years old. The terrible craving for carbs has always been part of my life. Well, until I started LCHF in 2011. I wish that people who think "fat people need more willpower" could experience those cravings.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I remember as a youngster, coming home from school, popping two slices of bread in the toaster and that was my mainstay. Mom always baked our bread and toast was my go-to food until I embraced LCHF.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Mom made bread too. A typical lunch was two huge pieces of bread with margarine and either peanut butter or Cheez Whiz. It would give me heartburn sometimes, which I attributed to the fats in the filling. I fought that heartburn all my life until LCHF, now I rarely get heartburn. I can't believe I lived with that pain for most of my life!

·
Banned
563 Posts
A statement that resounded with me is that people are born insulin resistant, they don't develop it. What develops is the degree of IR, which eventually shows up as metabolic syndrome, etc. etc. And the degree of IR is an individual thing (which we know all too well).
I had very severe insulin resistance and reactive hypoglycemia from the time I was a child, and I was very thin (underweight, as a matter of fact) until my 30's when I went through infertility treatments (PCOS which is a metabolic disorder) to try to conceive my first child.

Likewise my kids are both very thin and slightly built, but both have insulin resistance signs. My youngest daughter has been diagnosed with PCOS and insulin issues already (only because I insisted they check--I knew the signs). They inherited my lousy genetic profile (I don't take all the blame, BOTH of my husband's parents had IR ->Obesity -> Diabetes and he has IR too).

IMHO, insulin resistance (IR) comes BEFORE obesity, but it is not as easily recognized until AFTER the obesity is present.

I get especially irritated by doctors who think that losing weight is the answer to "curing" insulin resistance--it will not make IR go away. A pediatric endocrinologist was talking about my 13 year old daughter when she said that the best way to deal with insulin resistance is to lose weight. She was looking at my 13 year old, who is absolutely 50th percentile in body weight, not an ounce of extra fat on her body. I could have slugged her for saying that in front of a perfectly normal body weight 13 year old--shall we just invite her to have an eating disorder?

I had much worse IR symptoms back when I weighed 100 pounds because my diet was terrible. But there's no question in my mind that my kids and I were born with IR issues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Down Under forum

Thanks for the original post which has led to both my wife and I getting ourselves booked into the Brisbane Convention next month.
Personally I believe I have suffered diabetes of some sort for many years due to neuropathy in both feet. That started around 40 years back and the doctor said it was gout. I do not drink alcohol at all so went to another who diagnosed pinched nerves due to wearing shoes. So I took to wearing sandals in the belief that exercised my feet better than shoes. My pulses in the feet are fine but the feet get pretty heavy at times. Now the medics are blaming it on diabetes.
So we are really looking forward to meeting the experts in Brisbane.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts