The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Agency For Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) in the USA has made an interesting report on the use of premixed vs long acting insulins for Type 2 diabetics. Here is the link.

AHRQ Effective Health Care Program - Research Reviews

The report states that 16% of Type 2 diabetics in the USA use insulin alone to control their diabetes. It is reported, elsewhere, that there are approximately 24 million diabetics in the USA and roughly 10% of those are Type 1's. That means that the USA has 21.6 million Type 2's and 2.4 million Type 1's. If 16% of the Type 2's use insulin alone then there are about 3.5 million Type 2's and 2.4 million Type 1's who use insulin alone. So there are about 1.1 million more Type 2's than Type 1's who use insulin alone to control their diabetes in the USA. I was rather surprised.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
So there are about 1.1 million more Type 2's than Type 1's who use insulin alone to control their diabetes in the USA. I was rather surprised.
I'm surprised, too. I know this forum is a small percentage of diabetics and not typical of the general diabetic population, but it seems most T2s who are struggling are prescribed more and more drugs and many have had to fight to get insulin.

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
16% of T2s using only insulin doesn't seem a big number to me.

My endo says in her practice T2s are resistant to insulin, will do anything to avoid, when she is pleased to prescribe as she agrees insulin is preferable to oral meds (excluding metformin.)

It's a shame those wanting insulin can't have my doc!

That said, being needle-phobic, if I were not educated about meds, I too would likely want my doc to give me pills vs needles. I've a friend who doesn't mind needles, but gets the heebie jeebies thinking about insulin, no matter how gently I discuss the brilliance of insulin.

I'm thinking that 16% should be much larger - so should the number who do LCHF :)

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Funny, you mention needle phobic, and while I can't look when someone takes my blood, or watch anyone really get stuck with a needle, my insulin pen needle never gave me a single worry. It's so tiny and the pen looks nothing like a traditional syringe that my lizard brain just doesn't register it as the same thing to be scared of! :D

·
Registered
294 Posts
Agreed, Moon. Despite how great I think my doc is, she did resist my request for insulin. She kept saying " But you're too young". I think there's just this preconceived notion that insulin is the last resort and I think it's hard to shake it.

my lizard brain just doesn't register it as the same thing to be scared of! :D
Ok, sorry Daytona, but you have anything BUT a lizard brain, lol. :biggrin:

·
Registered
146 Posts
If most people hate needles so much, why aren't insulin inhalers more successful? I love to ski and travel. Right now I don't need insulin, but my biggest worry about it is portability, not needles. I remember my friend telling me story how she got stuck with her dad at the airport and nobody would refrigerate her dad's insulin. See, I would love the convenience of an inhaler.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
On another forum, a number of people use afrezza the inhaler insulin and I keep seeing that they would love to take it forever but it causes them to have asthma, or a "smokers" cough after a few years. So inhalers are cool (and they all seem to like it because it's so fast acting and handles carbs better) but they don't seem to be a good replacement yet for needles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I was first diagnosed the Endo wanted me to start off with insulin which appalled me. That was back when I hated the idea of that burden because I knew I could become NOT diabetic again with a little effort.

Here I am 16 years later and I'm ok with stabbing myself several times a day and poking my fingers several times a day as long as I can keep the bs's where they need to be.

I'd like to know where i'd be if i'd taken the Endo up on that.

vic

1 - 9 of 9 Posts