The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Thanks Gizmo. Looks like a meta-analysis of previous studies and I'm betting it included the woefully flawed ACCORD intensive arm that was stopped early due to high rates of death. For those who missed it: ACCORD used older persons with long-standing Type 2, poor BG control and many with pre-existing heart disease. They basically threw medication at them... at each follow up visit if their A1cs had not reached their new lower level their Meds were increased. Big surprise it did not work out well for all involved. :cool:

Reactions: jwags

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I'm 100% convinced that "studies" (and I use the term loosely) like this are simply pharmaceutical-company propaganda to keep us on meds. These are the same 'studies' used to create clinical guidelines pushed by the ADA, etc.

When my last A1c came in at 6.0% I mentioned to my medical team (because of all my health problems, I see an Alberta Health 'Complex Care Team' on a monthly basis) that I wasn't really happy with this number, and was wanting to see it in the 5.x range. Two people on the team looked quite shocked at this, and started quoting CDA (Canadian Diabetes Association) guidelines about A1c control - who recommend that A1c be simply "< 7.0%" ... and then said that the "research shows trying for lower than 7.0% is risky" ...

They were surprised when I said that not only had I read the CDA's "Clinical Practice Guidelines" but that I had also studied much of the research that they used in adopting those guidelines, and that what the committee stated was (paraphrasing) 'that the absolute benefit of lowering A1C levels from 7.0 % is expected to be small and must be weighed against the risk of hypoglycemia.' ... And, since I don't run the risk of hypoglycemia (as I'm not on insulin) there WAS no risk for me.

I also went on to mention the same guideline document also stated that a Fasting Blood Glucose of >5.5 mmol/L (99 for you good folks in the USA) was associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular events ... and with my wonderful family history of heart-disease (EVERY male member of my family in the last four generations has had a cardiovascular event before the age of 50, some fatal), my own diabetes diagnosis and my high-normal blood pressure, that it would make sense to try for as tight control as possible.

The response? Blank stares. I kid you not.

Just love these 'studies'.:mad:

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Beefy, getting your A1c down from 12.1 to 6.0 in only 6 months is a great accomplishment. Instead of telling you what the research says, they should have been asking you how you did it and passing that advice on to their other patients. It's all so frustrating that way too many doctors listen to fake research instead of paying attention to what their patients who are successfully controlling their diabetes have to say.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Beefy, getting your A1c down from 12.1 to 6.0 in only 6 months is a great accomplishment. Instead of telling you what the research says, they should have been asking you how you did it and passing that advice on to their other patients. It's all so frustrating that way too many doctors listen to fake research instead of paying attention to what their patients who are successfully controlling their diabetes have to say.
I know, eh? :)

·
Registered
716 Posts
Beefy your a great example of what can be done when you put your mind to it and take the time to learn and adapt. Not sure how old you are but I'm 53 and appreciate your knowledge and advice :)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think the researchers need to come to online forums and see diabetics who do take control of their disease. I remember before I found these forums I believed what my doctor and CDE said. They recomended 7.0 like the ADA as a good HbA1c. Well, that is an average 154 bg, yikes. I just turned 61 and have been D for 4 years and it took me almost 4 years but I finally got mine down to 5.3. It is not hard but it does take work. Sometimes it takes saying NO to your doctor when he wants to push additional expensive drugs on you.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I am so glad I found this forum Was feeling really alone before - misery loves company and great company it is. Just want to say thanks to everyone on this forum.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I am so glad I found this forum Was feeling really alone before - misery loves company and great company it is. Just want to say thanks to everyone on this forum.
I feel the same way - this is a great forum. Lots of friendly, supportive and knowledgeable people.

... and to answer your query re: my age, I'm 45 years young. My spinal surgeon says I have the lower-back of an 85 year old... but my brain still thinks I'm 25. So overall I'm very confused. =)

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Registered
78 Posts
I too wish dr's would listen to their patient's more. I think they would learn wealth of information that no study could ever provide.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts