The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up this morning at 5:30, not my usual time. I was sweating and my heart was pounding, so I checked my blood sugar, it was 50- yikes! So thanks to all the info I get here on this forum. I stayed calm and drank some OJ and waited 15 minutes, checked, it was at 86 and 15 minutes later it was 106.
Now my question is ...
1. Last night I skipped dinner, which I normally don't do.
but had my 8pm snack, cocoa and Lorna Doone cookies, I have been doing this for 11 days straight and my morning number have been great...Was is skipping dinner?
2. Or is it time to start lowering my evening insulin.

I have only been "good" for 11 days, with great results on a Lowcarb High Fat diet. My morning numbers have been running around 80-95.
Thanks for any ideas :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Once is not a trend.

Try your [new] normal routine tonight, but set a 4am alarm. Get out of bed and test!

My theory and observations: Low carbing will result in lower glycogen stores which will result in lower basal output. I lower my basals after a week or two of lower carb levels.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I almost always go too low if I don't have some type of dinner.
Usually though I don't have much of a lunch, mostly a snack, and I really need to eat by then. It gets me through the night without problems and it doesn't have to be much as long as it's something nutritious.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
The empty stomach, then the cookie probably caused an insulin surge which resulted in you going low. Dinner would have buffeted the cookie, my guess only.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts