1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I would appreciate any input on this.

I am trying to get my type 2 diab
etes back under control and am doing pretty good but am really confused about one thing...

I get up at 5am each morning and I test and I will come out with 5.9 to 7.2 and anywhere in between. For me this is really good.

Confusing thing is that I make coffee and have a couple of cups of coffee over an hour and all I put in the coffee is Coffee Mate which is very small carbs per tbsp. I am probably giving myself 6-8g of carb.

One hour after testing 5.9 with two cups of coffee I am testing 9.9 or higher?

Why is this with only coffee?

Anyone know?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to the land of liver dumps. I was so frustrated and my doctor never told me about them. What happens is something called Dawn Phenomenom or DP. In the very early morning hours our natural hormones start being produced to start the wake up process. These hormones like adrenaline, growth hormone, cortisol all signal liver to convert stored glycogen and turn it into glucose. When you wake up try eating something high protein or high fat to shut down the DP rise. If I eat carbs I will spike very high, if I eat nothing I spike very high. If I eat some cheese of low carb Coconut Oil cookies I spike only about 10 points. I am never hungry in the morning so eating is difficult but it does make a big difference. You can also get these liver dumps at other times of day, especially if you haven't eaten for quite awhile. Basically, your body won't let you starve. So even if you don't eat, your liver will provide the glucose your brain needs.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Sugar spikes me, in whatever quantity. I was loathe to give up sugar in my morning coffee so cut back from 2 tsp to 1 tsp, and had it with a breakfast of eggs and bacon. Those few carbs, because they were sugar, spiked me.

It's the sugar in Coffeemate that's likely the culprit, and I think it also has hydrogenated oil in it. A safe choice would be full cream - I use a splash of whipping cream in my coffee and have no blood sugar effect.

·
Registered
105 Posts
weird.... wheneva i drink coffee my BGL goes down.. not a lot but still.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I'll give my vote to giving up coffeemate and going with full cream.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for your comments.

This is only the first morning trial, but so far, with real cream (no sugar) in my coffee I have only gone from a 5.2 to 6.8 reading. I am going to try a sugar free yogourt first thing too.

I guess what I have to get good at is mastering tricks like this to keep the A1C under control.

I think what I hate most about this disease is that some things just don't make sense. I am such a black and white person that with 'science' there should be no grey - but there sure is with diabetes.

I have always gone on the course that carb count on the label will dictate what I eat and when. Obviously not always the case. I think that I hate that we have products like coffee mate that enhance the taste of things so that we really want them...

jwags - thanks for your post - I was not aware of this DP in this way. I have always tested fairly high in the morning but I don't tend to test when I get out of bed and then again 1 or 2 hours later - I only found this spike the other day by chance. I can keep my bg very controlled during the day but did not know that this was happening. This may be a big part of my higher A1C readings.

I will continue over the next few days and weeks to moniter this and bring back my results - thanks again everyone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts