The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another newbie introducing herself & looking at the number of us newbies diabetes is sure on the rise. I am T2 diagnosed about 8 months ago, started off very committed but lately have fallen off the wagon in regards to eating foods high in sugar & carbs also exceeding alcohol limits. So I have made a promise to myself that starting from today I will try to change my mind set. I have just signed up at local gym & have my assessment today & exercise program. I know it wont be easy to forgo all the foods that I love so much but realise that being diagnosed gives me a chance to change & improve my health. Anyway thanks for listening

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Browse our recipe board, Muck . . . we've invented a lot of work-arounds & trade-offs that help us with some of the foods we have to forgo. Just today jwags posted one, a low-carb English muffin that can be toasted & enjoyed just like the original. Tell us some of your favorites & we'll see if we have something to replace it.

Are you testing frequently? Are you on meds of any kind? What was the way-of-eating you follow for management?

It's good to have you with us & I hope you'll feel refreshed & ready to renew the diabetes battle when you've settled in here awhile. Take care & thank you for joining us! :cool:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Shanny, I am on Metformin 500 ER once daily with no side effects. My 1st A1C was 5.9 but my last one last week wad 6.2, so I have joined a gym & started a more regular exercise routine, have also started a lower carb diet than what I was previously on but still unsure how many carbs a day I should be consuming, I've started testing 2 hours after each meal to figure out what effect different foods are having. For the last 2 days I have deleted all carbs except for veggies, my plan is to slowly introduce carbs & test. I guess it is just a learning curve. I love to cook & miss my gooey choc brownies, my diet at present is fairly bland I need to introduce a more varied choice so I don't slip back to bad habits. I find this site invalueable & don't feel so alone so a big thanks to all

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
You're fortunate that your diabetes was caught earlier than it could've been, and that you're now taking it seriously. Good for you.

One of our missions around here seems to be keeping eating interesting, and so far the crew around here has surely helped me in that regard. The recipe section is great, and there are so many awesome low-carb sites, that I'm finding I cook more than I did before and have been jagged out of my former cooking rut.

There's life after carbs!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Hi Shanny, I am on Metformin 500 ER once daily with no side effects. My 1st A1C was 5.9 but my last one last week wad 6.2, so I have joined a gym & started a more regular exercise routine, have also started a lower carb diet than what I was previously on but still unsure how many carbs a day I should be consuming, I've started testing 2 hours after each meal to figure out what effect different foods are having. For the last 2 days I have deleted all carbs except for veggies, my plan is to slowly introduce carbs & test. I guess it is just a learning curve. I love to cook & miss my gooey choc brownies, my diet at present is fairly bland I need to introduce a more varied choice so I don't slip back to bad habits. I find this site invalueable & don't feel so alone so a big thanks to all
Welcome Muck! I, like you, like many here, all were carb addicts at some point in our life. How can you not be? In any case, I've been the route of behaving and then giving in. But, after finding this forum, I do not need to do that anymore. You say you love to cook gooey choc brownies...there is a recipe on here for a chocolate mug cake that is made in the microwave that is absolutely delicious and fulfilling in the chocolate department! You have to be willing to wrap your head around the "I can't eat this anymore, but I can certainly have this" attitude. There is no need to feel deprived of some favorites, and to discover some new favorites. Good luck, and stick around here. You will see that these people eat very very well!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice, & Moon you are so right about my diabetes being caught early it was certainly a wake up call & I feel very lucky to have been given a 2nd chance to turn it around. Going to Zumba class this morning to move my body parts around!! Then off to a Diabetic class on medications.
Haven't checked out the recipe section yet will do that tomorrow.
My BG was higher this morning than when I checked it last night going to bed is that my liver releasing stored insulin??
I am also going to order Blood sugar 101 book from my local bookstore to get further knowledge.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Zumba! I love doing Zumba! I think ordering blood sugar 101 is a great idea, and a great book to have for information to begin with, and reference to have in the future. And yes, the fbg's in the morning being higher than night before is called dawn phenomenon. I have it too. I hate it. But, mine is getting better, but it is requiring more insulin (basal) at bedtime. Oh well. I have to do what is best right now. Can't worry about the amount. Got to get to a good number and stay there! Good Luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Another newbie introducing herself & looking at the number of us newbies diabetes is sure on the rise. I am T2 diagnosed about 8 months ago, started off very committed but lately have fallen off the wagon in regards to eating foods high in sugar & carbs also exceeding alcohol limits. So I have made a promise to myself that starting from today I will try to change my mind set. I have just signed up at local gym & have my assessment today & exercise program. I know it wont be easy to forgo all the foods that I love so much but realise that being diagnosed gives me a chance to change & improve my health. Anyway thanks for listening
I am newish also. Gave up the alcohol. That really was a benefit! My wife ate pizza last night, but I didn't. Life has gotten a bit simpler, but I feel a lot better because of eating correctly. Society pushes junk food and that got in the way at first, but I am settling into better habits. It is about attitude towards better living and acceptance for me. I still balk at going to a gym, but I do walk the dog longer in the early morning and before bed. At least it keeps me off the sofa.

They said to not do things that created a resentment. Like you said, "mind set". I am working on it.

Jere

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Jere well done on not having pizza it's hard when your partner can eat / drink normally, I admit to making my own pizzas with a very thin crust & minimal toppings & only have bout 2 slices that way I don't feel deprived.
Zumba was great fun & certainly burned up some sugar.
I admit to missing my couple of glasses of red wine in the evenings, I now only have 1 glass occasionally.
Your dog will love the extra walking time, I have 2 cattle dogs that love their walks with me.
I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to be perfect with diet & exercise all the time & just have to accept that sometimes no matter how hard I try my bgl aren't going to be where I'd like them to be!!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Naynay I loved Zumba class so much I have downloaded a DVD to do at home, I am very unco though but I guess as long as I keep moving it can only help.
You have a great attitude towards having to take extra insulin at night, I am only on meds so far fingers crossed
Take care

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.