The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I just read the article posted this morning on cognitive decline and brain atrophy in a study by Dr. Novak. The rate of brain deterioration in 65s is something like 15x that of normals. What I found interesting was that the study concluded that this was due to hyperglycemia, and yet the subjects were ON medication. Hmmmm.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for posting the article Shanny. I should have done that; brain is starting to deteriorate already and it's only been 2 yrs. since diagnosis. Yikes.

But seriously folks, I have a question about these complications, because it is so common in diabetes websites to mention the importance of staying within safe blood glucose ranges to avoid them. Question: If you are within the same numbers as non-diabetics, is diabetes progressing anyway, or are you equivalent to not being diabetic?

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I think this really misses the point. The problem is not so much hyperglycemia (although if present that no doubt would have its own issues) but rather the continued reliance of the brain on glucose (along with the rest of the body) as its sole energy source. While true for the vast majority of people today, this is not a given and can be changed.

This is one of several reasons (along with a parent and a grandparent now dead from Alzheimer's) why I intend to stay on my ketogenic diet for life. The known way to avoid brain degeneration which leads to Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia is to circumvent the impaired glucose metabolism of the brain and cause those cells to be fueled by ketones instead. This is done naturally and without providing profits to any drug company by maintaining two things:

1) Keeping carbohydrates and proteins restricted (and replaced primarily with fats) such that the body remains in the state which Atkins and others popularized under the name "ketosis". In this state, glucose stays in the normal range as it is conserved and regulated by your body and insulin levels stay very low as there is very little need for it.

2) Ensure a constant supply of ketones in the blood. This is pretty much automatic when #1 above is maintained but can can be enhanced by including coconut oil in the diet which is more highly prone to producing ketones than any other fat.

This works because the sensitive nerve cells in the brain which degenerate and die (over many years prior to any obvious symptoms, making it even more scary) when their ability to metabolize glucose becomes impaired can SWITCH to using ketones when the body is in ketosis, circumventing the problem and remaining healthy and fully "fueled".

Naturally, drug companies, NIH, etc. are only looking something which can be patented and produce profits so, believe it or not, they're looking for a PILL whereby people can simply dump ketones directly into their blood even as they continue with a glucose-dominated diet. That seems grossly stupid to me. The desired effect is easily accomplished perfectly naturally by just eating right.

I have read a study which said it generally takes two solid weeks of ketosis for 90% of of the brain's cells to "switch" and the remainder take even longer. Therefore, those who "dabble" in ketosis flipping in and out would get little or no benefit and I highly doubt if simply causing ketones to be present in other than the natural way would have the desired effect. It is mainly the glucose deprivation and not the mere presence of ketones which triggers the switch.

Ketone bodies as a therapeutic for Alzheimer's disease.
Henderson ST.
SourceAccera, Inc., Broomfield, Colorado 80021, USA. [email protected]

Abstract
An early feature of Alzheimer's disease (AD) is region-specific declines in brain glucose metabolism. Unlike other tissues in the body, the brain does not efficiently metabolize fats; hence the adult human brain relies almost exclusively on glucose as an energy substrate. Therefore, inhibition of glucose metabolism can have profound effects on brain function. The hypometabolism seen in AD has recently attracted attention as a possible target for intervention in the disease process. One promising approach is to supplement the normal glucose supply of the brain with ketone bodies (KB), which include acetoacetate, beta-hydroxybutyrate, and acetone. KB are normally produced from fat stores when glucose supplies are limited, such as during prolonged fasting. KB have been induced both by direct infusion and by the administration of a high-fat, low-carbohydrate, low-protein, ketogenic diets. Both approaches have demonstrated efficacy in animal models of neurodegenerative disorders and in human clinical trials, including AD trials. Much of the benefit of KB can be attributed to their ability to increase mitochondrial efficiency and supplement the brain's normal reliance on glucose. Research into the therapeutic potential of KB and ketosis represents a promising new area of AD research.

PMID:18625458[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Note that this paragraph contains the ususal brain-dead propaganda:

KB are normally produced from fat stores when glucose supplies are limited, such as during prolonged fasting.
Huh? I have ketones 24/7 without fasting at all! They always try to scare you that the only way to have ketones is to be starving. Not true. On my ketogenic diet, I eat as much as I want as often as I want without limit.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think this really misses the point. The problem is not so much hyperglycemia (although if present that no doubt would have its own issues) but rather the continued reliance of the brain on glucose (along with the rest of the body) as its sole energy source. While true for the vast majority of people today, this is not a given and can be changed.

This is one of several reasons (along with a parent and a grandparent now dead from Alzheimer's) why I intend to stay on my ketogenic diet for life. The known way to avoid brain degeneration which leads to Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia is to circumvent the impaired glucose metabolism of the brain and cause those cells to be fueled by ketones instead. This is done naturally and without providing profits to any drug company by maintaining two things:

1) Keeping carbohydrates and proteins restricted (and replaced primarily with fats) such that the body remains in the state which Atkins and others popularized under the name "ketosis". In this state, glucose stays in the normal range as it is conserved and regulated by your body and insulin levels stay very low as there is very little need for it.

2) Ensure a constant supply of ketones in the blood. This is pretty much automatic when #1 above is maintained but can can be enhanced by including coconut oil in the diet which is more highly prone to producing ketones than any other fat.

This works because the sensitive nerve cells in the brain which degenerate and die (over many years prior to any obvious symptoms, making it even more scary) when their ability to metabolize glucose becomes impaired can SWITCH to using ketones when the body is in ketosis, circumventing the problem and remaining healthy and fully "fueled".

Naturally, drug companies, NIH, etc. are only looking something which can be patented and produce profits so, believe it or not, they're looking for a PILL whereby people can simply dump ketones directly into their blood even as they continue with a glucose-dominated diet. That seems grossly stupid to me. The desired effect is easily accomplished perfectly naturally by just eating right.

I have read a study which said it generally takes two solid weeks of ketosis for 90% of of the brain's cells to "switch" and the remainder take even longer. Therefore, those who "dabble" in ketosis flipping in and out would get little or no benefit and I highly doubt if simply causing ketones to be present in other than the natural way would have the desired effect. It is mainly the glucose deprivation and not the mere presence of ketones which triggers the switch.

Note that this paragraph contains the ususal brain-dead propaganda:

Huh? I have ketones 24/7 without fasting at all! They always try to scare you that the only way to have ketones is to be starving. Not true. On my ketogenic diet, I eat as much as I want as often as I want without limit.
So having ketones in the blood is not risky, as in ketoacidocis?

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
So having ketones in the blood is not risky, as in ketoacidocis?
No, it isn't, not at all. That's another scare tactic being used by many. Not sure it it is ignorant or devious or some of both. I have discussed this at length in other threads. Perhaps you could find it by searching on "ketoacidosis".

In a nutshell:

1) Ketosis (diet-induced, non-starvation) is essentially an OPPOSITE condition from ketoacidosis, arising from completely different conditions and circumstances and with vastly different possible endpoints. The only thing they have in common is the presence of ketones in the blood.

2) Levels of ketones possible in the above-described ketosis are nowhere near the hazardous levels which occur during ketoacidosis and can never reach them - "You can't get there from here."

·
Banned
33 Posts
what brain

Hi folks,

I just read the article posted this morning on cognitive decline and brain atrophy in a study by Dr. Novak. The rate of brain deterioration in 65s is something like 15x that of normals. What I found interesting was that the study concluded that this was due to hyperglycemia, and yet the subjects were ON medication. Hmmmm.
My girl friend says Im a numb-skull,maybe she read the same article !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts