The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This August will be 2 years since I had a permanent job.
And if in a couple more months I don't get a job that pays enough to meet my bills.
Then I'm probably going to lose my home and everything else.
So I'll probably have to move in with relatives. Which means I'll have to move out of PA and back to NJ.

I vaguely recall that when I moved to PA 3 years ago and got a PA driver license.
That one of the questions on the application was if I suffered from diabetes.
At the time I was not diabetic; so there was no problem getting a PA license.

But now that I am diabetic.
What will happen if I have to move back to NJ (or any other state) ?
How does being diabetic affect getting a driver license ?
Do I run the risk of not getting a driver license and never being able to drive o ride a motorcycle again ?
Do I run the risk of for the rest of my life being subjected to yearly physical exams and having my driving license revoked at any time ?
Does being a non-insulin dependent type 2 make a difference ?

Anyone have firsthand experience with getting a driver license after being DX'd as diabetic ?

Thanks;
--ET

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
So sorry to hear of your troubles :( I will keep good thoughts coming your way! I have never had issues renewing mine. I just renewed it in January and had to go in to the DPS office here to do it since I was changing my name. They handed me a form to fill out that asked if I was diabetic or not. I said I was, and that I used insulin. It also asked if I ever had lows that made me pass out and I said no. The guy behind the counter just looked at it and didnt say anything, so it wasnt a problem. That is here in Texas tho, no idea about your state.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
We had a member on here that was T2 and was driving a truck. I don't know what state he lived in, but I do remember that he said that he had been taking oral medication for years. His doctor wanted him to be on insulin but he couldn't because of his occupation. I would check with the driving bureau of your state and call and ask them about the medical criteria and diabetes. Hope things get better for you.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
We had a member on here that was T2 and was driving a truck. I don't know what state he lived in, but I do remember that he said that he had been taking oral medication for years. His doctor wanted him to be on insulin but he couldn't because of his occupation.
After he got that INCORRECT info he never came back, So he never found out that Yes you can drive a truck while on insulin. There is a federal waiver process to go through, that will allow a diabetic on insulin to drive OTR (over the road).

you can find the process for CDL (commercial Drivers License) waiver at
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/documents/safetyprograms/Diabetes/diabetes-exemption-package.pdf
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/documents/safetyprograms/Diabetes/diabetes-exemption-package.pdf

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hang in there ET, I know how you feel. I am in the same boat. Last year I moved to GA and transferred my AL license. No questions were asked at all. This may not apply to to every state though. We will soon see if I have any problems transferring back to AL next month.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
After he got that INCORRECT info he never came back, So he never found out that Yes you can drive a truck while on insulin. There is a federal waiver process to go through, that will allow a diabetic on insulin to drive OTR (over the road).

you can find the process for CDL (commercial Drivers License) waiver at
I went online and there are many websites that provide info about taking insulin and driving a truck. I think the best site is dot.gov. I used to work in the office of an asphalt paving company and handled all of the paperwork for the truck drivers. You MUST pass a physical and when you are diabetic, you have to see an endocrinologist and an ophthalmologist. I read this info on a website for truckers. Where I live, I have never been asked if I were a diabetic when renewing my driver's license. If you are driving around and are having a diabetic low episode and are involved in an accident, you can get sited for driving while impaired. If you take diabetes medication that will cause low blood sugar then it would be best to be educated about treating lows and staying off of the road until a low has subsided and you have allowed ample time for you to get your mentality back to normal. Driving while low is extremely dangerous and you should not be on the road.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I totally agree. I *never* get behind the wheel of my car without checking my blood sugar first.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
In MA if you have an accident or get stopped for a traffic violation because you are having a hypo event, the state considers it the same as driving drunk. As far as keeping you license.

G

·
Are There Days When You Test A Lot More Than Others..!!?

I *never* get behind the wheel of my car without checking my blood sugar first.
THAT must be a pain in the.. well, you know what I mean. Are there days when you think sometimes you're a taxi service. You know what I mean. I know I've had days when it seems like all I'm doing is driving here or there and doing this or that.

It would seem to me that testing myself 20 or 30 times in a 4 to 6 hour period or so would be going a little bit overboard.. so I'm curious as to the extent of your monitoring. Do you figure we (as diabetics), should be doing the same.. or just under certain circumstances?

Breeze 2 User

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
THAT must be a pain in the.. well, you know what I mean. Are there days when you think sometimes you're a taxi service. You know what I mean. I know I've had days when it seems like all I'm doing is driving here or there and doing this or that.

It would seem to me that testing myself 20 or 30 times in a 4 to 6 hour period or so would be going a little bit overboard.. so I'm curious as to the extent of your monitoring. Do you figure we (as diabetics), should be doing the same.. or just under certain circumstances?

Breeze 2 User
Yes I agree that would be going over board. I dont drive anywhere 20 or 30 times in a 4-6 hour period of time. It would stand to reason that in that short of a period of time you wouldnt have to test constantly. I test when I go to work. on my way home from work. I test if I am going shopping and I havent checked it recently. I usually test anywhere from 4-8 times a day, depending on what I am doing and how my blood sugar has been running that day. I check it when I go to the gym for sure...and before I drive home after I have been exercising. I just think its a prudent thing to do to be sure you are not going low before you get behind the wheel of a moving vehicle that could injure yourself or someone else if you have a bad low. It has been known to happen.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
For insulin-dependent diabetics and those who take meds like the sulfonylureas which can cause lows, testing before driving is the cheapest insurance money can buy.

I've never experienced a low, but from what I hear, there might be times when you think you're perfectly all right to drive, although you're actually an accident waiting to happen. Kinda like driving under the influence - I can remember from my youth, times when I thought I was much more capable of driving than my equally besotted friends. Lows can affect peoples' judgement exactly the same way.

Breeze 2 User

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Testing before driving is very important. I have thought I was OK to drive when I actually tested too low to drive. One day I needed to get somewhere quick and when I tested below 60, I ate some fast acting carbs until I was reading 100. It took about an hour to get to 100, but it beats driving around low. I don't test every time I get in and out of the car if I have already tested and made my correction as necessary.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think everyone should always keep emergency glucose tabs or candy in the car at all times. You can check your sugars before you drive but get stuck in traffic for hours? It can happen, drive through Atlanta sometime at 5pm :car:

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I think everyone should always keep emergency glucose tabs or candy in the car at all times. You can check your sugars before you drive but get stuck in traffic for hours? It can happen, drive through Atlanta sometime at 5pm :car:
You've got that right. I have driven through Atlanta at rush hour and it was no fun. Columbus, Ohio is about 1/2 as bad. :eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts