The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this recipe has been posted before. It is new to me and has been such a success that I wanted to share.

I found the recipe on the FatHead site, Faux Carb Pizza.

1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
¾ cup almond flour
2 tbs cream cheese
1 egg
Garlic salt
Parchment paper and cookie sheet

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Microwave the mozzarella and cream cheese until smooth.
3. Mix the cheese with the almond flour and egg. I also add a few dashes of parsley, fennel and oregano.
4. Flatten out the dough on the parchment paper/cookie sheet. I like to put my hand in a sandwich bag so that nothing sticks.
5. Liberally sprinkle the crust with garlic salt. Poke the dough a bit with a fork to prevent bubbles*.
6. Bake for 8 minutes, and poke any bubbles.
7. Bake for another 4-6 minutes until it is slightly brown on top.
8. Add any ingredients for your topping and then pop back into the oven to melt the cheese on top.

In all it takes me less than 20 minutes to make and is the best homemade low-carb, gluten-free pizza I have had yet. It's much easier than the cauliflower crust and holds up better too.

* I haven't tried skipping all the bubble bursting, I have a feeling it's not really necessary.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
I see so many recipes I'd love to try that have almond flour, including this one. I cannot eat almonds. My blood sugar hits the space station when I do. Is there a good substitution, that would work in most recipes that have almond flour? I really haven't played around too much, since I am not too sure what to buy in place of it.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I see so many recipes I'd love to try that have almond flour, including this one. I cannot eat almonds. My blood sugar hits the space station when I do. Is there a good substitution, that would work in most recipes that have almond flour? I really haven't played around too much, since I am not too sure what to buy in place of it.
It's too bad you can't tolerate almonds, I always wondered if you are allergic which could explain the crazy BG spikes you get... In your case, I would recommend the cauliflower recipe, it's in the recipe section or I like this version here.

Have you tried any other nut flours? If it's just almonds that give you grief, but not other nuts, that may be an option. Bob's redmill sells Hazelnut flour, or you could grind your own from any nut at home.

Coconut flour all by itself is very tricky to make work without help from a proven recipe. Elana's Pantry has lots of coconut flour recipes (some use almond flour but others are just coconut flour). Once you find the right ratio, it at least has the right taste and texture.

Other ideas would be soy flour or flaxseed meal, neither of which I have used but the carb count is at least in the right range.

Edit: Evidently sunflower seed flour works well as an almond flour replacement. That may be an option as well, I haven't tried it myself.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Maybe I should get tested for an almond allergy. Thanks for the info, I will try the flours you've suggested. Can't wait to try several recipes I have bookmarked, have just been waiting to find a suitable replacement!

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I can't wait to try this! I've been taking antibiotics that rule out dairy--I never realized how much of it I eat until I couldn't have it! Glad to be at the end of that regimen.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have tried putting Parmesan both in the crust and just on top of the cheese. I could not taste it in the crust but on top was a nice addition.

My biggest recommendation is to give in to the dark side and coat the sucker in garlic salt. I put it both in the crust, on top of the crust before it backs and then sprinkle it on top of the cheese before melting. Totally worth it. :D

·
Registered
733 Posts
It looks good so far. I don't know about the "bubble bursting" though because there were no "bubbles" to burst. But it's golden and looks like it will hold the toppings well.

I haven't tried it yet. I'm waiting for my daughter to come over for dinner. :D

·
Registered
733 Posts
This is my favorite pizza crust so far! It has the texture of a wheat pizza crust. In fact it's almost bread like. I'm going to make it again and try toasting it to use as a sandwich.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just made it again last night and skipped the bubble bursting. It's not necessary at all, the crust only puffed up a bit on the edges.

·
Cheryl
693 Posts
Has anyone tried this with garlic powder rather than garlic salt? I have swollen hands/knuckles and I think it's because of high sodium. I am trying to reduce my sodium intake.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Has anyone tried this with garlic powder rather than garlic salt? I have swollen hands/knuckles and I think it's because of high sodium. I am trying to reduce my sodium intake.
I haven't made it with just garlic powder, but if I did, I would try 1 tbsp and put it only in the crust. Make sure to mix it first with your almond flour, then add to the melted mozzarella. That way it will be evenly distributed.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I finally got around to totaling up the nutrition info for the pizza. I always make a double batch, which yields 16 square slices. I use 1/2 a cup of plain pizza sauce and 1 cup of mozzarella for the topping. The mozzarella I use is low-moisture, part skim as I don't have access to whole milk mozzarella.

Below is the info for 1 slice:
Calories: 159
Fat: 11.6g
Carb: 4.1g
Fiber: 1.3g
Protein: 10.5g

66% Fat, 27% Protein and 7% Carb

·
Registered
733 Posts
I had the left over pizza for lunch today and I can't believe I'm saying this but it was even better cold!

I made a small 'pizza' crust for breakfast and lashed it with butter and vegemite and 2 eggs. Finally something to carry my beloved vegemite!

PS I use onion salt and dried oregano to season the mixture.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I made this crust for homemade pizza tonight. The only thing I didn't use was the fennel because I didn't have any. I used pizza sauce, hand shredded mozzarella cheese, I sautéed some Vidalia onions, red, yellow, and orange bell peppers, and mushrooms together, cooked some ground meat and topped it all on the crust.
All I can say is YUMMY! This is by far my favorite pizza crust. This reminded me of a thin crust pizza you can order, but it was even better! I had two wonderful pieces and have two pieces for lunch tomorrow! Hubby liked it as well. He thought this was his favorite too so far.

I would imagine this would make a great breakfast pizza with scrambled eggs, cheddar cheese, some bacon or ham or sausage (or even ground meat) with whatever else you like. Nommy Nom.

Reactions: Daytona
1 - 20 of 69 Posts