Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

MSM - Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM)

9K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  foxl 
#1 ·
Hey all...

I have searched this forum and don't see anything on MSM.

Perhaps there are other areas where it is mentioned?

I would like to open a discussion about MSM and see what people think of it and if there is any credence to some claims that it aids Type 2 diabetics?

From research that I have done, MSM is a sulfur that is natural in our foods but often cooked out of the food. I have also read reports that suggest diabetics are deficient in sulfur. In some reports it suggests that MSM actually assists the pancreas to produce insulin.

My Doctor has a Naturopath that works in the same clinic and he has told me in the past that he has no issue with me taking MSM and that it can't hurt me.

I was taking it in the past but have not in the past 6-9 months and wonder if this is one of the pieces that led to my sugars rising over the past year?

Anyone with any experience? Anyone with successes or warnings?

You read and read across the internet but never know what article or writing to trust - most of what I find are companies that produce and sell it so the information is biased.

See less See more
#5 ·
No, it is not a byproduct of the paper industry, and the pills I had had no smell at all...and yes, sulfur is a treatment option for ringworm. Does this mean that it can't be used for anything else?

I asked a legitimate question - I thought that there were reasonable people on this site but it looks like there are a lot of sarcastic people that have an opinion and not open in thier thinking.

Methyl sulfonyl methane (MSM), also known as dimethyl sulfone (DMSO2) is an organic sulfur compound found in minimal quantities in food and human blood.
MSM or (DMSO2) is a derivative of DMSO and it is a biological source of sulfur.

#6 · (Edited)
I am not being sarcastic. It is a relatively inexpensive, readily available chemical, and I did read it is a byproduct of paper production. It might have legitimate pharmacologic uses but I am skeptical of some of the people selling it as a cure-all, and would approach it with caution.

If you are allergic to sulfa drugs, I also would not try it.

And as I recall DMSO was removed from the market a couple decades ago b/c it causees many substances to be absorbed through the skin, because some of the substances absorbed at increased rates with it are toxic. Not saying do not use, but I would research very, very carefully.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.