The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have just come across this site while looking for information about the smart insulin...sounds exciting, hope it will hit the shelves soon!

My two year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 almost a year ago now. She is amazing, so brave and doesnt let anything stop her from enjoying life everyday!!

I am finding her levels way easier to manage now that she is on a pump. She has had the pump for about 3 months now and we are still "tweaking" the basal rates etc as we are running into a few probs (mostly with highs and lows overnight!) but I am hopeful that it will stabilise soon. Alot of hard work and sleepless nights for me but I do enjoy our midnight cuddles!!

I wish for a cure everyday for my little princess and everyone living with diabetes. Thank god there are lots of smart people out there working on it and lots of money going into research.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Thank you for a heartwarming message, Bel . . . and give your sweet little girl some hugs from this old granny!
She reminds me of my own grandniece who was diagnosed about the same age, and the docs always said let her be herself - she's a child who happens to have diabetes. Don't let the diabetes define her. My niece is 12yo now & has worn out two pumps.

You're welcome to jump in anytime you have comments or questions, and I know our mod Richard has a website for parents of children with diabetes - perhaps he'll drop by & post that for you too.

G

·
Welcome Belconning :) it sounds like you have your hands full trying to manage diabetes for a 2yo. It's good to hear you are finding the pump easier at least. Even as an adult it's hard managing BGLs. I'm sure you'll find this a great place for support and info. Keep us posted on how things are going.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
My son had very bad asthma, but I can't imagine dealing with diabetes and the problems you have had. Give both yourself and your darling baby a cuddle for me and it doesn't have to be a midnight! Glad you found us and hope to keep hearing how it's going for y'all!

Welcome!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello, and welcome! Your daughter's pump can make a really big improvement in her control, but it takes time to get all that tweaking done so things will go more smoothly. With variable basal rates during the night you can eliminate morning highs.

I don't think there are many, if any, regular members here with young diabetic children. There is a special website for parents of diabetic children. Here is the link:

children with DIABETES Online Community

I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6, and am very healthy. With your help and guidance, your daughter can have a long, healthy life.

Richard

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thankyou all for your kind and encouraging words! Trust me they make a difference and I love hearing that you are all doing well!

Richard thanks for the link, I have joined the site and will love chatting to other parents helping their children through this.

How wonderful to see that you are well and have been living with T1D for so long. I cant even imagine how hard it was to control without all of theses wonderful devices and information that we have access to today. Makes me so happy to know that my little girl can still live a healthy long life!

Take care all x
Bel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello. My daughter was diagnosed at age 6 now is 9. I am so glad things r as best ad possible. We r going on Wednesday for a pump appointment. I've had one for over ten years. I've been type I for 32 yrs. My best. Robert

1 - 7 of 7 Posts