The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am very interested in people's experiances with muscle's cramping up , and its cause's from a diabetic point of veiw...
i've had 2 main problem area's... my calf's, and my abbs .
i kite landboard alot and have had my abbs cramp up several times, and when i feel it coming on , i stretch in oppersite ways to stop it, which is tricky to do whilst kiting in a harness :)

but any info very much appreciated

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I have a cramping problem. Mostly from med side affects. I found Vitamin D helps.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
i am very interested in people's experiances with muscle's cramping up , and its cause's from a diabetic point of veiw...
i've had 2 main problem area's... my calf's, and my abbs .
i kite landboard alot and have had my abbs cramp up several times, and when i feel it coming on , i stretch in oppersite ways to stop it, which is tricky to do whilst kiting in a harness :)

but any info very much appreciated
Well Slide, I can't speak from a "kiting" point of view, but yeah - even fat old grannies :)D) get cramped muscles, and I do the same as you - try to stretch that muscle to counteract the spasm. Mine used to occur in the arches of my feet, long before I was diagnosed diabetic, so I don't know whether diabetes is a factor for me or not. This morning I had one in my lower back which spooked me for a second, but it didn't go into spasm, thank heaven. Maybe we should both be tested for vitamin D deficiency . . . :confused:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i reckon it is possibly a build up of lactic acid, and i never had it much untill i was diabetic, so i'm convinced its worse as a diabetic
and on the calf , i tend to get it in bed at night, and have woken up a few times , having to jump out of bed and walk about and stretching :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have just started having muscle cramp, its mostly my left leg , the calf and also my thigh going round to my groin and the to the opposite side of my thigh

·
Registered
299 Posts
I was having a tough time with calf cramps at night for a few months before I knew I'm diabetic - and I was taking vitamin D at the time.
I've only had one or two instances since getting my sugars under control. I don't know what has caused the improvement as I've added other vitamins, changed my eating totally, and started getting more exercise but something has changed for the better cramp-wise.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I get cramps upon waking up from bed or getting that mussel cold. I also stretch the mussel to relive the pain. I have learned to put up with this as I have never done anything to relive this however Vitamin D may well help.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I used to get cramps all the time in my calf at night. Before I was even awake I was walking around the whole house trying to get my calf back to normal so I could go back to sleep. I cannot remember having one since I have my numbers under control.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Potassium ... Magnesium ...

Eat more NUTS! Pumpkin seeds and almonds in particular have a lot of Mg, which may be deficient in D.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Vitamins B6 and B1.
Electrolyte imbalance from sweating is the most probable since I assume that you are not guzzling sports drink? I would recommend either coconut water like Vita Coco or a sugar and sweetener free electrolyte replacement for your water bottle like Elete.

All of these work for me, and I suffer from calf cramps quite often.

Oh, if it happens in the daytime, try using a foam roller on your calf.

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cramps

sweating - does that bring cramping on , and maybe more redbull will help:), and it does seem calfs are the worst for this problem , altho of late i/ve had it mostly to one side a bit (of the abbs ) -right under my scar (kidney out last year) . that may be part of the muscle rebuilding process , i'm not sure , but it comes on quick

·
Registered
800 Posts
The kidneys are the controllers of sodium/potassium balance in the body. So yes any exercise could cause some imbalance. It normally is fast, and many triathletes suffer from cramps. The biggest culprits seem to be sports drink, sugary sports gels and electrolyte depletion.

I hope the red bull was a joke... ;)

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
exersize

surely , proper slow release carbs intake will keep the muscles working at their best , as nature intended
yea , i was tongue in cheek about the red bull- it's far too expensive -get a cheaper alternative:D,

·
Registered
800 Posts
Yes, they are if you are on a low fat, high carb diet. Try to think porridge for breakfast or flapjacks. Not a sports drinks made for professional athletes, you just won't use the energy up.

An average gel is designed to give a 'normal' man of 160-175 lbs a blood sugar of between 120 and 140 mg/dl in 30 minutes, they recommend 2 to 3 gels an hour. The artificial and highly processed sugars react fast and hard, some of the drinks and gels use un-natural sugars (not found in nature), your body will treat these as a toxin, and the poor liver will get the double whammy of fructose and poison at the same time. Thus some people get side cramps from them.

Note I said normal people, now the same gel will spike a pre-diabetic to 200mg/dl and it does not come down slowly because it was designed for sustained energy. If the person just does one gel, they may get away with it, as it drops to 140 by the second hour. This is boasted of on one sports gel site...personally I'd vomit all over the floor if my BG went that high and I was trying to exercise.

As a general rule, my training partner Chris (who is diabetic) applys a couple of rules that seem to work for most diabetics as well as pre-diabetics:
You don't need extra fuel for less than an hour and a half aerobic exercise, just water.
After that point take food (drinks or bars or real food) and electrolytes (plain water or water plus electrolyte (no sugars or sweeteners) seperately. Drink regularly.

Since she changed to that system, she no longer gets cramps or vomits when doing long distance events.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also had terrible muscle cramps, mostly at night. Predominatly in my legs, but I also got them in places I didn't know I had muscles with no way to stretch them out. I believe now that I got them due to a lack of Magnesium & Potasium. This occured when my blood sugar was high, and I would have incredable thirst and thus drink large amounts of water. This had the effect of flushing out my system and leave me deficient in magnesium & potasium. I have solved this by controlling my numbers and taking a multivitamin rich in magnesium and potasium. Hope this helps

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I had a really one last night so reviewed the top "medical" web pages on this, this morning.

I bought an electrolyte replacement drink mix to see if it helps, though I doubt it will.

Most sites mention: statins, diabetes, age > 50, hypothyroidism ... and stretching.

Whatever. I am not too impressed with the offered solutions.

·
Banned
116 Posts
Vitamins B6 and B1.
Electrolyte imbalance from sweating is the most probable since I assume that you are not guzzling sports drink? I would recommend either coconut water like Vita Coco or a sugar and sweetener free electrolyte replacement for your water bottle like Elete.

All of these work for me, and I suffer from calf cramps quite often.

Oh, if it happens in the daytime, try using a foam roller on your calf.
Judy, I googled this after I sent my email, but apparently you've already answered this before, and was wondering if you have any update as I've now started to get cramps on my right calf, first time at 45 minutes into a 50 minute run, and had to stop, and 2 days later at 10 miniutes into a run. Both times, I was running not too fast, just a relaxing 12 min mile (7-1/2 min KM), and not really dehydrated, but could be.. If so, how long would you think it will take to rehydrate and the calf cramp gone? Anyways I suppose these are all questions I can google, but if you have the time, a response from you is always appreciated.

·
Registered
640 Posts
When I first went low-carb I started having cramps in my calf muscles at night. I googled "low carb cramps" and found a few posts of people who had the same problem and found relief by taking magnesium, calcium, or potassium.

I took a magnesium and a potassium supplement for a couple of days when that happened and eventually they went away. I haven't had any cramps recently. (I didn't take calcium because I was eating a lot of cheese and dairy.)
If I remember correctly, avocado has a good amount of potassium, but even eating avocado wasn't helping me.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I never have figured out HOW to resolve mine. Potassium, Magnesium ... actually the change in seasons resolved it, till next summer ...

Oh, and sleeping with a fan and having my legs exposed were triggers.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Judy, I googled this after I sent my email, but apparently you've already answered this before, and was wondering if you have any update as I've now started to get cramps on my right calf, first time at 45 minutes into a 50 minute run, and had to stop, and 2 days later at 10 miniutes into a run. Both times, I was running not too fast, just a relaxing 12 min mile (7-1/2 min KM), and not really dehydrated, but could be.. If so, how long would you think it will take to rehydrate and the calf cramp gone? Anyways I suppose these are all questions I can google, but if you have the time, a response from you is always appreciated.
I'm not totally sure what you are asking.

How long does it take to rehydrate? How long is a piece of string...this differs for everyone. Generally to avoid dehydration on the run, take one small mouthful of water (or water with electrolytes if run is greater than 60 minutes) every 10 minutes.

Electrolyte solution for adding to water: Elete.

Cramp cause: could also be from your interval training, anaerobic exercise does cause greater risk of injuries of all sorts. Also the obvious...shoe fit.

Reactions: GreeceDweller
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.