The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A1c's were first available in 1976. My doctor started having mine done in 1980. As part of my preparation for my taking part in the Joslin Medalist Study I was supposed to have a listing of all my A1c's that had ever been done. My doctor was very cooperative but there were several gaps in the list. The years 1990-1994 were not available.

Below are the A1c's that my doc was able to retrieve from his files. I have updated for 2010.

1980...10.6, 9.6, 9.0
1984...9.2, 9.7, 8.9
1987...8.0, 9.8, 10.3
1988...10.5, 7.7, 7.7

1997...6.0, 5.4
1999...6.8, 6.7, 6.5
2000...6.3, 6.1, 5.5
2001...5.8, 6.0, 5.6, 6.0
2002...6.0, 6.4, 6.2, 6.0
2003...5.6, 5.4, 5.9
2004...5.9, 5.7, 5.8, 5.6
2005...5.6, 5.8
2006...5.6, 5.7
2007...5.5, 5.6, 5.7, 6.1
2008...5.7, 5.9, 5.7, 5.6
2009...5.6, 5.8, 5.8
2010...5.7, 5.6, 5.6, 5.4

Note the improvement in 1988. That is the year that I discovered I should follow a low carb diet. I read about it in a magazine. I had been eating hundreds of carbs every day before that time. No doctor ever told me I should limit my carbs. I have always wondered why?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Thank you for sharing that Richard. I am also so happy I discoverd what lower carb diets could do for us. You must be so proud of your control the last 20 or so years.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Wow, that's an incredible and impressive list Richard. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Richard, all I can say is wow and thank you so much for this info. Ok, my docs and endo never have told me to really restrict my carb intake... They say take " bolus for your carbs" I'm beginning to think now that I may be doing badly in eating all the carbs that I do. I will eat something like 100 carbs or more a day.. What do you think? My sugars are 80% of the time in the 200s when I wake up :(

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you should eat fewer catbs, but you need to find your own personal comfort level. Reduce your carb intake gradually, don't cut down very much all of a sudden. I found it very difficult to adjust to less than 120 carbs per day, but others do very well on less than 100 per day. I lost the weight that I needed to lose at 120-130 carbs per day.

I also watch how many fast acting carbs I eat. The Glycemic Index in the diet forum will help you choose the more appropriate foods that will not cause rapid increases (called spikes soon after eating). I eat no more than a half cup of foods like potatoes and pasta and I avoid all cereal and breads, excet low carb oatmeal or whole grain breads.

·
Registered
33 Posts
that really is amazing!! How crazy that the doctors didn't tell you to limit carbs!! Hello...isn't that what its all about!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
that really is amazing!! How crazy that the doctors didn't tell you to limit carbs!! Hello...isn't that what its all about!
Yes, that IS what it's all about, but there are damn few docs/dietitians/nutritionists who aren't married to the notion that these human bodies of ours NEED carbs for fuel. Phhfffftttt . . . . !!!! :mad: It's all a conspiracy of the grain growers of the world! heheh!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Carbs and A1c

Shanny, I love your reply!! :D

I was lucky in 1945 they were able to diagnose me. The first three doctors had no clue. To have them tell me about carbs would be asking for too much. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I love seeing these A1c numbers Richard. It's rather inspirational and gives me something to shoot for!

Lowering carbs certainly wasn't the easiest for me, but it's sure working =)

·
Registered
33 Posts
one other thing I have to say is this:

As someone who was recently diagnosed and is not only glued to but consumed by the occasional spikes I see on my dexcom I keep telling my seelf I have to work hard to live past 50 and see my grandkids. But you really are an inspiration. The fact that you have had diabetes for so long with such a minimal support system not that long ago amazes me! I know how the technology has advanced over the years and I get the chills when I compare my dexcom 7 to the draconian urinalysis or weekly blood sugar checks that were common a few years back. But to think that doctors didn't even get the connection between carbs and diabetes boggles the mind! The fact that you have had diabetes for 65 years is incredible and I think the only explanation must be that you are some sort of Jedi Knight or something. You truly are an inspiration and we are so luck to have you in this forum. You really can't imagine how much of a weight you life of my shoulders....not that I compare myself to your amazing acheivements but I tell myself if you can live 65 years with out all the technology availble to me I have no reason to be worried about seeing my own grand kids! :)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glomaster, I appreciate what you are saying, but it takes much effort and patience to get the control that prevents the complications. It does not happen all by itself. Even in my beginning years I TOTALLY avoided sugar. I also worked on our farm and got much exercise. The food that I ate was from our farm, even the meat. It was not processed food like most of us eat now. It was very healthy food for many years.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thats my whole point. It must have taken soo much more effort to avoid complications decades ago than it does today. With all the technology we have at our disposal we really don't have an excuse to take care of ourselves.

Your comment about living on a farm is ironic in a way. Even though we have the advantage of all these new technologies to help treat diabetes, we are at a serious disadvantage in the junk we put in our bodies. I have been buying grass fed beef lately (not that it has anything to do with diabetes) but the fact is it tastes sooo much better and I feel like we are so unlucky to live in a world where everything is motivated by profit and everyone eats so much junk. Just look at the trend of obesity in the USA, is it really worth all the cheap junk food?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts