The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came out as 5.2%. Which is apparently within 'normal' levels. So anyway my next step is an Glucose tolerance test when I can find a place to survey me. I am sure this result is too high for someone with supposedly normal blood sugar control.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Came out as 5.2%. Which is apparently within 'normal' levels. So anyway my next step is an Glucose tolerance test when I can find a place to survey me. I am sure this result is too high for someone with supposedly normal blood sugar control.
5.2 is an average bg of 103 or 5.7. Many of us tend to spike at night while we are sleeping which could be why there is a discrency. I think 5.2 is a great number. Usually in the US they don't pick up pre diabetes until close to 6.0.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It absolutely IS a normal A1c reading - there's no "apparently" about it.
And what happened to the OGTT that you hσd scheduled Monday a week ago?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
It is absolutely normal. Congrats...you are *not* diabetic. I thought you were having a glucose tolerance last week?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is absolutely normal. Congrats...you are *not* diabetic. I thought you were having a glucose tolerance last week?
I found out the hospitals policy is not to give glucose tests to those whose fasting levels are below 100... mine were, so unfortunately they didn't do it, only the A1C. Another hospital I found would do the OGTT and I might arrange it sometime in May.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Congrats! That is awesome! Glad to hear you are not diabetic.

I can see why the hospital won't give the glucose test to those whose fasting levels are below 100...that could be a waste of money. I bet there are allot of folks out there that want a multitude of tests for every ache and pain, imagined or not.

Cheers,

Jeremy

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I can see why the hospital won't give the glucose test to those whose fasting levels are below 100...that could be a waste of money.
Actually, for a considerable number of diabetics (with impaired phase1/phase2 insulin response), the fasting number is the LAST symptom of diabetes - their post-prandials are very high, but fasting is normal. This can happen if the basal insulin release is working as it should (lowering blood sugar during a 10-12hr fast), but there are problems with the 1st or 2nd phase insulin response.

As such, the fasting glucose reading is NOT the best test to use to diagnose diabetes, as it may miss MANY people that already have progressed from insulin-resistance to full-blown Type II without any clue based on the fasting reading...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Actually, for a considerable number of diabetics (with impaired phase1/phase2 insulin response), the fasting number is the LAST symptom of diabetes - their post-prandials are very high, but fasting is normal. This can happen if the basal insulin release is working as it should (lowering blood sugar during a 10-12hr fast), but there are problems with the 1st or 2nd phase insulin response.

As such, the fasting glucose reading is NOT the best test to use to diagnose diabetes, as it may miss MANY people that already have progressed from insulin-resistance to full-blown Type II without any clue based on the fasting reading...
To be honest Beefy, there was a bit of sarcasm meant in my post as Ferrus has been told by both many on this board as well as medical professionals that Ferrus is not diabetic. It would appear that it does not matter what any test results are to Ferrus.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
To be honest Beefy, there was a bit of sarcasm meant in my post as Ferrus has been told by both many on this board as well as medical professionals that Ferrus is not diabetic. It would appear that it does not matter what any test results are to Ferrus.
Bah. Forgot to use my sarcasm detector...

Reactions: Madea

·
Registered
219 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Congratulations on not being a diabetic. I would quit worrying about it now! Live your life!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts