The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My two remaining bads that have to go away in the next few months are staying up late (midnite - 1AM) and the associated snacking that goes with it.

I've always been a night-owl and as I got older late night snacking became a habit. Less exercise. Lots and lots of simple carbs. Gain 45lbs of fat - repeat for many years.

What is really maddening is that I can go from breakfast thru dinner eating very moderately and healthy. Then before I know it I've downed 500 - 1000 calories of junk ... and its past mid-night.

Its 10PM so its off to bed.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've also heard that chronic lack of sleep does not help anything - esp diabetes .... yet there I am. Once again proving I'm not too bright.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've also heard that chronic lack of sleep does not help anything - esp diabetes .... yet there I am. Once again proving I'm not too bright.
Bluesboy, welcome!

I have to ask with a name like that are you a musician?

Anyhow, I am a musician. I understand the nightlife syndrome (as I call it)

Here is my two cents. you need to eat a better breakfast, lunch and dinner. This is how I fixed my body not to crave late night food. I found if I neglected either breakfast and especially lunch, then I would load up at night. I fixed that by eating better/bigger breakfast and lunch. you need to develope a schedule for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I noticed when i stick to consistant times and hearty meals, it stopped my late night urge to gobble things in sight.

Its kinda of like your body needs a set amount of food. you can give the body the food at breakfast and lunch and dinner evenly or you can not give it what it needs during the day which will cause you to load up at night. one way or the other its gonna get what it wants! I choose to eat a good breakfast but mainly lunch, that way i can burn it off and have a good dinner at around 6pm and then im good, not to load up. most times now I dont eat anything after dinner. sometimes I will have a couple turkey meatballs topped with cheese for a snack if I really have too!

well hope that helps...

Good day!

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Go to the health food store and load up on a couple of things. Ground Flaxseed, Kava Kava, GABA, L-Theanine. Start about 8:00 pm take a 1/3 of a cup of the flaxseed and mix it in a big glass of water, drink it down quickly or well you will be drinking sludge. This will keep the hungries away the rest of the night and do wonders for your digestive system. Around 9:00pm take some of the KAVA, GABA, L-Theanine, you will be in bed by 10:00pm and will not wake up until you hear the alarm the next morning.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Go to the health food store and load up on a couple of things. Ground Flaxseed, Kava Kava, GABA, L-Theanine. Start about 8:00 pm take a 1/3 of a cup of the flaxseed and mix it in a big glass of water, drink it down quickly or well you will be drinking sludge. This will keep the hungries away the rest of the night and do wonders for your digestive system. Around 9:00pm take some of the KAVA, GABA, L-Theanine, you will be in bed by 10:00pm and will not wake up until you hear the alarm the next morning.
MCS..hi my friend!

What does the KAVA do? and GABA and L-Theanine..I will look them up but in your words what are they and what do they do for you?

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Kava in high doses will put your butt in park, it's a pretty strong muscle relaxer and relaxes the brain. GABA calms down your adrenalin activity, it's like the off switch as opposed to the on switch when it comes to adrenalin. I have taken upwards of 4 (750) mg tabs three tomes a day. L-Theanine, your body can convert this to GABA, it like taking a long lasting pill.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Unfortunately I have the same problem with being a night owl and the night snacking. That is always my downfall. I can do wonderful all day long, but once the 10:00 p.m. hour and beyond hits, I am usually beginning my relaxation before bed (usually by midnight). This is when I typically get bored and the snacking gives me something to do. I have begun stopping myself and asking "are you really hungry, or just bored?" The answer is usually just bored, so I find something to occupy my mind and get it off of food. Or I will drink a glass of water to curb the thought of being hungry.

At least you recognize where your downfalls are, and that is half the battle. Good Luck and keep up the good work!

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
I am a full fledged night owl also!! I may have a slightly different perspective. If you don't have to be up at an early hour why fight it?? I am fortunate to be semi retired and self employed. I work from home so I can set my own hours. Why fight your natural body rhythms if you don't have to?

I generally don't go to bed until 2 or 2:30AM. I get up around 10:30. Breakfast at about 11:00 is a very high fat meal. Lunch at around 4:00PM is really more of a snack, celery with cream cheese, nuts, half of one of MCS's protein bars. Dinner is around 8-8:30, it is the highest protein meal of my day but also high fat. My daily nutrient ratio is usually 80% fat/15% protein/5% carbs. I just don't get hungry between meals. I do have a glass of wine or sometimes a night cap after dinner. On the odd times I might feel hungry before bed, I'll have a piece of CO Fudge or a few nuts. I go to sleep immediately and sleep soundly through the night (sometimes I get up briefly around 7AM to visit the bathroom ;)).

I say all this because instead of taking all sorts of supplements, not that I have anything against them, an adjustment to your daily diet may help. Upping your fats can really help you keep that full feeling longer. Also, don't keep snacks not on your eating plan in the house. Make some of the Coconut Oil Fudge to have on hand as a snack if you find you need one or nuts.

We have so many challenges as it is with the D, why try to fight your natural body rhythms too? Just my $.02... :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm a night owl too. Always have been. My theory is that someone needs to be in charge of the world when all the larks (early risers) are drooling in their chairs ****evil grin****

My most creative time is the 9pm to 2am slot....do my best writing/whatever then.

Once I've done the whole tooth brushing deal I don't eat- old dieting trick.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I'm a night owl also. I try to read and have a wine before bed. Some times it works and other times it doesn't. Thankfully at 73 it works most of the time. My friends know not to call me before 10 am.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow - so there are more than a few die hard night owls here. I do know the joy of that but am working to get to sleep earlier. Its better for me and the D and I do need to be at work by 7:30 (ouch).

The 'witching hour' for me is between 9 - 10PM when I actually do get a little sleepy. But if I power thru till about 11PM then its wide open - eat - snack - eat snack .... one dietician diagnosed me with a metabolic disorder. Basically endless eating. Either way I'm no longer 25 or 35 or 45 or 55 --- cannot do it and don't need the carbs and extra calories. Oh my.

So its snack time around 9:30 - I do take melatonin - then off to bed .... unless I get distracted and then poof ---- it mid-night. Oh my. Gotta change that. Thanks for all the tips I will look into them.

Bluesboy, welcome!

I have to ask with a name like that are you a musician?

Anyhow, I am a musician. I understand the nightlife syndrome (as I call it)
MCS - No I'm not a musician (I'm not worthy). I do love the blues and bang out some blues on the guitar - but a musician I'm not. Glad to hear you are out there though.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Lotta night owls around this ranch . . . I'm like Pat - people know not to call us too early in the morning! ;)

It does me no good to go to bed before I'm drowsy, I'll just lie there twitching & finally have to get up again. I actually thought I had a chance tonight to move toward normal hours, because we had a power outage about 10:30, so there was nothing to do but sit here in the glow of the oil mantle lamp - bright enough to light the room, but too dim to read by - and obviously couldn't stay online or I'd run down the laptop battery.

But it was not to be . . . got all settled & comfy in bed, but without the hum of my CPAP machine, my odds of falling asleep were about those of an icicle's chance in that fabled hot place. I know that machine is like a security blanket after all these years, but I really didn't think it was so much that I couldn't fall asleep without it! :eek:

At any rate, I got up & found a beer in the refrig . . . after a couple more hours the power came back on & here I are. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hey Shanny
I know what you mean. I don't use a CPAP but my hubby does. If he has to go on a business trip or if I am at the cabin on my own, my first thought, as I get ready for bed, is that I will miss the hum of that machine. It helps with falling asleep!
Deb
PS I also miss him too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts