The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband put my coconut oil in the refrigerator and now it is hard to get any out. Is it okay to store it not refrigerated now?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
When the weather got real hot and my CO started to become a liquid I decided to put it in the fridge. Bad idea, it was so hard I couldn't even get a metal spoon in it. I now store it in the pantry.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yes it is stable at room temperature and also at high cooking temperatures.

Straight from the fridge though it reminds me of a wax candle!

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
In the cold months, mine stays solid even outside of the fridge. I place a large metal spoon on the burner flame for a minute or two and then use that to scoop it out easily.

As others have mentioned, CO is stable at room temperature (or even higher) and does not change or become rancid for about two years at least.

·
Banned
26 Posts
What do you know about CO that we don't. Please share
Coconut oil consists largely of a certain type of saturated fatty acid. One tablespoon of coconut oil contains 117 calories and 13.6 grams of sat fat.
Although eating coconut oil in moderation for a short-term diet probably won't harm your health, it may not help you lose weight. And keep in mind that coconut oil actually has more saturated fat than do butter and lard. For successful, long-term weight loss, stick to the basics, an overall healthy-eating plan and exercise. Source
If you are using coconut oil to help control diabetes? Any type of fat will not spike your BG, however, it is converted into energy and needs insulin for that conversion. Insulin supplies the body with energy. You can try everyway in the world to not use insulin , but the end result is, you will use insulin to supply energy to your body or you will die. Every living being on this earth uses insulin even the earth worm….:)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Are you saying that everyone has to inject insulin or is it OK if we use the stuff our own body makes?

Please explain the metabolic process where insulin is required to convert Fatty Acids into energy? I am not aware of any such process. I am aware of insulin's role in converting carbohydrates into Fatty Acids and storing them but so far as I understand it is only with reduced levels of insulin that the body is able to use those Fatty Acids as an energy source... the opposite of what you suggest?

Is this your unreferenced source? Mayo Clinic - Weight Loss - Can coconut oil help me lose weight? where it also says...
...the few research studies that have specifically examined coconut oil — or the type of fatty acids it contains — have shown mixed results for weight loss.
Please correct me but surely "mixed results" implies that in terms of weight loss it works sometimes and others not? Is that the same as when you say "it may not help you lose weight" because surely it is just as logical to say "it may help you lose weight" :confused:

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Coconut oil consists largely of a certain type of saturated fatty acid. One tablespoon of coconut oil contains 117 calories and 13.6 grams of sat fat. Although eating coconut oil in moderation for a short-term diet probably won't harm your health, it may not help you lose weight. And keep in mind that coconut oil actually has more saturated fat than do butter and lard. For successful, long-term weight loss, stick to the basics, an overall healthy-eating plan and exercise. If you are using coconut oil to help control diabetes? Any type of fat will not spike your BG, however, it is converted into energy and needs insulin for that conversion. Insulin supplies the body with energy. You can try everyway in the world to not use insulin , but the end result is, you will use insulin to supply energy to your body or you will die. Every living being on this earth uses insulin even the earth worm….:)
First of all, I suggest you read a few articles about MCTs (medium-chain triglycerides) before making any direct comparison between coconut oil and other saturated fats, like butter, etc. I eat them all and have nothing against any of them, but MCTs are VERY different, follow a completely different metabolic pathway in the body and have very different effects. No need to go into details, you can read about it yourself.

Second, slight correction, insulin is NOT required to convert fats to energy. It is only required to convert GLUCOSE to energy. That's kind of the whole point of addressing this condition by swapping out carbs for fats. Diabetes is some combination of the pancreas not producing enough insulin and/or the body's cells not responding correctly to insulin and taking in and using that glucose.

Under the proper conditions, fats (saturated or otherwise) can supply ATP (the actual energy source at the cellular level) to nearly all of the body's cells (at least 95% of them) including all the really important ones like muscles, heart and nearly all of the brain WITHOUT the need for any insulin at all. This completely circumvents the two previously mentioned problems which are T2 diabetes.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Okay, now that we've got that out of our system, there'll be no more baiting. Don, you don't know sic 'em about coconut oil except what you've read online. Many if not most of the people here are actually using it and discovering amazing benefits.

There is no coconut oil in our arteries - in fact, what's clogging your arteries is no doubt the carbs you've eaten your whole life. Our bodies manufacture 85% of the cholesterol we need, and dietary fat supplies energy, not plaque in our arteries.

Thanks for explaining about the MCT, Salim - saved me the trouble.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Okay, now that we've got that out of our system, there'll be no more baiting. Don, you don't know sic 'em about coconut oil except what you've read online. Many if not most of the people here are actually using it and discovering amazing benefits.

There is no coconut oil in our arteries - in fact, what's clogging your arteries is no doubt the carbs you've eaten your whole life. Our bodies manufacture 85% of the cholesterol we need, and dietary fat supplies energy, not plaque in our arteries.

Thanks for explaining about the MCT, Salim - saved me the trouble.
You don't know "sic 'em"? LOL. You really have a way with words! That's one I hadn't heard.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You mean you've never heard of a dog that "doesn't know sic 'em from come here"? :D :D :D
I like that. I'm glad you explained it, because I've never heard it before.

When I was growing up, if someone was singing the person might get the comment "sounds like the mating call of a stomach pump." I assumed that one was so good, it was known around the world, but I've never heard it outside that little community.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My husband put my coconut oil in the refrigerator and now it is hard to get any out. Is it okay to store it not refrigerated now?
I store mine in the spice cupboard above the stove. I'm sure that's a faux pas, but hey - it's how I roll. In the real hot summer months, it was liquid. In the winter it is almost like candle wax.

There is nothing on the bottle to indicate that it needs refrigeration, so by all means, keep it in the cupboard, unless you have a large bottle. If that's the case, then only keep a small jar out and refrigerate the rest so you won't get any oxidization.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I wouldn't use coconut oil instead of butter... I'd use it instead of margarine or industrially-manufactured vegetable oils :p

I also use butter and bacon fat... and the best olive oil ain't exactly cheap neither!

Reactions: Carolina

·
Registered
718 Posts
I use it in conjunction with olive oil, butter, bacon grease and lard.

Considering I continue to lose weight and my cholesterol continues to go down, I guess I'll continue believe that natural saturated fats are what the human body was meant to consume... not oils made up in a laboratory.

And to answer the original question - set it out and leave it out - it will be fine :) Mine stays on my counter and is liquid all summer. It firms up in the winter though b/c it gets cold in the kitchen.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I use it in conjunction with olive oil, butter, bacon grease and lard.

Considering I continue to lose weight and my cholesterol continues to go down, I guess I'll continue believe that natural saturated fats are what the human body was meant to consume... not oils made up in a laboratory.
Yes I have been eating LCHF for over 3 years now and all my health markers (BG, BP, cholesterol etc...) are excellent... including a recent Stress ECG where they pushed the treadmill up to the limit they are allowed on the test, and I still passed with flying colours.

Thing about saturated fat is that is the way we store fat in our own bodies -- as Saturated Animal Fat -- almost identical to pig fat AKA lard :eek: So it seems to me that: if saturated fat really is the killer we are told, then there must have been a major blunder in either our evolution or our creation (take your pick) :cool:

As for "coconut oil in our arteries" I'm trying to remember if if was Dr Oz or Dr Barnard who came up with the "logic" that as saturated fat is solid at room temperature then it would be solid inside our arteries too! In either case they need to go back and relearn basic physiology to remember that arteries are maintained well above room temperature and what we put in out mouths rarely (with the exception of glucose for example) goes unaltered into our blood stream.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts