The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am personally not diagnosed with diabetes. My dad is and I wanted to ask a few question and such.

He was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes one years ago and joined this forum to learn more about the medication and its effects. Main question involves what effects does the insulin medication have on the human brain? Does it advance altimer?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have never heard of any link with Alzheiemers. Insulin is a natural hormone produced in your body. You are only replacing what your body is not making naturally. Now there are certain Type 2 medications called sulfyureas ( glipizide, glicazide, etc) which overstimulate your pancreas to make insulin. It is thought that these may burn out your pancreas sooner. Injected insulin should rest your pancrease and preserve beta cells.

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Some doctors are calling Alzheimer's, D, type 3. I've read a bit about it, but can't remember the connection, but I'd not think those drugs will make it move faster...

Good for you, looking out for your parents!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Some doctors are calling Alzheimer's, D, type 3. I've read a bit about it, but can't remember the connection, but I'd not think those drugs will make it move faster...

Good for you, looking out for your parents!
From what I can gather, the nature of the diabetes/Alzeheimer's link is still being explored. But apparently it is uncontrolled, or poorly controlled diabetes that plays a villainous role.

I've never seen anything implicating insulin when used effectively. Dementia, however, would, over time, tend to play havoc with a patient's attempts to manage her/his diabetes, including proper use of insulin.

Here's an article:

Dementia and Diabetes - A Confusing Relationship

Your dad is lucky to have you! :)

Please visit often, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts

·
Registered