The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-I have five children, 10, 8, 5-year old twins and almost 3-year-old. My 5-year-old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last week. This past Tuesday was her first day back at school--very scary. She never felt sick because I diagnosed it so early. She wet her bed once and got up a few times in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. I had a childhood friend who was diagnosed in 5th grade so I remembered all the signs and my family is all in the medical field. We caught it so early that she never felt sick. She has no idea what a "low" feels like which scares me. I don't feel confident that she'll go to a teacher when she starts to feel dizzy, shaky or sweaty. This first week back I went to all her recesses, lunch and gym classes. There are so many people who keep saying they know someone who has it and that it will all become second nature and be so easy in time, but I keep hearing that from people who don't have a diabetic child. I also think this would be a very different experience if I only had one child. But juggling all the other kids activities and carb counting all her meals has been a challenge, especially since the others can have their snacks at a moments notice while she has to wait to have her blood sugar checked. My husband is gone Monday-Thursday for work, so the responsibility really falls on me most of the time. I think my tears are not only for her health but for the pressure I feel in having to do most of the work for so many years until she's more independent.

What I'm really writing about is to find out if anyone here is from the Philippines. We had already planned a 5-week trip to visit family there and had thought it was going to be a fun-filled, carefree 5 weeks of no scheduled kids activities and eating out at great restaurants. Now I feel like it's going to be a logistical nightmare because I won't know well enough how to count carbs without a guide in hand. Does anyone know if there is guide book to restaurants in the Philippines? I hate to make her eat McDonalds and Pizza Hut for 5 weeks! I've emailed the Diabetes Foundation there and some other local agencies. I just thought I might find a quicker answer from someone who lives there. I'd appreciate any help in carb counting typical meals there. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello-I have five children, 10, 8, 5-year old twins and almost 3-year-old. My 5-year-old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last week. This past Tuesday was her first day back at school--very scary. She never felt sick because I diagnosed it so early. She wet her bed once and got up a few times in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. I had a childhood friend who was diagnosed in 5th grade so I remembered all the signs and my family is all in the medical field. We caught it so early that she never felt sick. She has no idea what a "low" feels like which scares me. I don't feel confident that she'll go to a teacher when she starts to feel dizzy, shaky or sweaty. This first week back I went to all her recesses, lunch and gym classes. There are so many people who keep saying they know someone who has it and that it will all become second nature and be so easy in time, but I keep hearing that from people who don't have a diabetic child. I also think this would be a very different experience if I only had one child. But juggling all the other kids activities and carb counting all her meals has been a challenge, especially since the others can have their snacks at a moments notice while she has to wait to have her blood sugar checked. My husband is gone Monday-Thursday for work, so the responsibility really falls on me most of the time. I think my tears are not only for her health but for the pressure I feel in having to do most of the work for so many years until she's more independent.

What I'm really writing about is to find out if anyone here is from the Philippines. We had already planned a 5-week trip to visit family there and had thought it was going to be a fun-filled, carefree 5 weeks of no scheduled kids activities and eating out at great restaurants. Now I feel like it's going to be a logistical nightmare because I won't know well enough how to count carbs without a guide in hand. Does anyone know if there is guide book to restaurants in the Philippines? I hate to make her eat McDonalds and Pizza Hut for 5 weeks! I've emailed the Diabetes Foundation there and some other local agencies. I just thought I might find a quicker answer from someone who lives there. I'd appreciate any help in carb counting typical meals there. Thanks for your help!
Welcome to our forum! I really do feel that you will get through the trip without many problems. The only book that I know about is Calorie King. It is probably for most restaurants in the USA. Contacting the Diabetes Association in the Philippines was probably your best choice. Hopefully, someone from this forum can help you out. Good luck!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello Lalee . . . and welcome. You really do have your hands full, and I hope we can provide some relief for you, if only by being available for you letting off steam!

The responsibility is great, I know, and it's important that the things she CAN do for herself be shifted to her, not only to lighten your own burden, but to develop her awareness of the personal responsibility - that this is not going to go away, and she needs to own it.

I have a niece who was diagnosed at age 9 months, and I'm trying to remember when she started doing her own testing - under supervision, of course. I'm pretty sure she was fairly proficient with her lancet & meter by age five, but don't quote me on that. She has been on a pump for several years (she's now 10 years old), and she manages the pump herself too - again, with adult supervision (not so much to assure that she does it correctly, because she IS computer savvy, but to assure that she simply DOES it, and doesn't forget.)

Am sending love & prayers for you and your whole family . . . you can do this and I have confidence that you will do it. Kudos to you already for being vigiliant and catching it so EARLY!

take care,

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Lalee, welcome to Diabetes Forum. I lived the life your daughter is now living. My Type 1 started in 1945 when I was 6. Very little was known about diabetes back then, but at least insulin had been invented. Now I am 70, I have been a diabetic for 64 years and I am very healthy. With all the modern day technology, the great amount of knowledge available and the online sites like this one, you can help your daughter to get off to a great start. She can have a long, healthy life.

The best place for you to get help for your daughter is the site which was especially created for parents of diabetic children. Here is the link:

children with DIABETES Online Community.

I know nothing about the Philippines. I wish you and your daughter the very best of luck in the years ahead!

Richard

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hello LaLee :D, Diabetes is not at all easy and the restaurant is confusing to start with. I would be careful with foods that are white in color as they may contain carbs so yes rice is a carb and it low GI Glycimic Index as this will keeps BG up for a good period of time.
Look at the BG meter and test before you eat and bolus too and test again after 2 hours from the last bite as this would be a good guide to see that she is well. Also take in consideration that your daughter is indeed young and will burn up Glucose quite well so exercise is encouraged and see that she has something sweet with her as this will get her out of a low.

Welcome to DF. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts