The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Hello-I have five children, 10, 8, 5-year old twins and almost 3-year-old. My 5-year-old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last week. This past Tuesday was her first day back at school--very scary. She never felt sick because I diagnosed it so early. She wet her bed once and got up a few times in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. I had a childhood friend who was diagnosed in 5th grade so I remembered all the signs and my family is all in the medical field. We caught it so early that she never felt sick. She has no idea what a "low" feels like which scares me. I don't feel confident that she'll go to a teacher when she starts to feel dizzy, shaky or sweaty. This first week back I went to all her recesses, lunch and gym classes. There are so many people who keep saying they know someone who has it and that it will all become second nature and be so easy in time, but I keep hearing that from people who don't have a diabetic child. I also think this would be a very different experience if I only had one child. But juggling all the other kids activities and carb counting all her meals has been a challenge, especially since the others can have their snacks at a moments notice while she has to wait to have her blood sugar checked. My husband is gone Monday-Thursday for work, so the responsibility really falls on me most of the time. I think my tears are not only for her health but for the pressure I feel in having to do most of the work for so many years until she's more independent.

What I'm really writing about is to find out if anyone here is from the Philippines. We had already planned a 5-week trip to visit family there and had thought it was going to be a fun-filled, carefree 5 weeks of no scheduled kids activities and eating out at great restaurants. Now I feel like it's going to be a logistical nightmare because I won't know well enough how to count carbs without a guide in hand. Does anyone know if there is guide book to restaurants in the Philippines? I hate to make her eat McDonalds and Pizza Hut for 5 weeks! I've emailed the Diabetes Foundation there and some other local agencies. I just thought I might find a quicker answer from someone who lives there. I'd appreciate any help in carb counting typical meals there. Thanks for your help!
Welcome to our forum! I really do feel that you will get through the trip without many problems. The only book that I know about is Calorie King. It is probably for most restaurants in the USA. Contacting the Diabetes Association in the Philippines was probably your best choice. Hopefully, someone from this forum can help you out. Good luck!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.