The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Smoke Free Day no 5:

Today I had a busy day.. Went to catch up with the Diabetes Support Walking Group every Thursday and later saw my Diabetes Educator and I learn a few things today on how to tweak my Fasting sugar to just below 5mmol (4.5 to 4.9 mmol) had a few good chat and learn alot!!

Later that I went to the Hospital and did a Heart Stress Test.. I fainted when I get off the track mill..

Here is how it goes:

It was 3 sets of 2 mins each and then 2 more sets of 1 min each on the track mill. So total 5 sets of speed change and total 8 mins on the track mill.

1st set 2 mins Walking: I was like this is easy.. no sweat!! Like bread and Butter!!!

2nd set 2 mins walking with a quicker pace: Oh.. this is a bit fast but still i can easy handle it even if he ask me to walk 1 hr on this speed.. no worries at all!!!!

3rd Set 2 mins: The speed seems like Jogging.. hmmm.. Should be no problem to jog for only 2 mins, I can do this.. I ran 2.4 kms before in 9.6 mins.. this shouldnt be too hard to handle (YEAH, that was 19 yrs ago when i was in the Army) :D:D:D

4th set 1 min: The speed is much more faster now....... I was like SH*T.. I havent Run for 15 years ????????? starting to sh*t in my pants..

By the time I almost finish the 1 min, the DR ask me How do i feel?? Am i tired? I said.. I am close to 75% to 85% tired and exhausted.. I can feel my asthma coming.. I told him..

He said: ok, this is the last Set of 1 min... Lets try..

5th Set: This speed is like RUNNING TO THE 100M METER FINISH LINE!! I RAN LIKE CARL LEWIS WITH STEROIDS ON!!
By the time I almost hit the first 30 seconds, My Asthma kicks in... I was breathing so loud and I knew at that time, the Dr and his Tech Assistant heard my breathing and asthma...

The DR ask, You have Asthma?? I said, DIDNT YOU READ MY Doctor Referral letter and it mention I have Asthma ?? I couldnt SPEAK ANOTHER WORD at that moment trying to grasp my breath!!!!!

I shouted loudly... I need to stop NOW!!.. He said NO!! hold for 30 secs... YOU can do it!!!! he didnt listen and still ask me to run the 30 secs more on full speed...

Mind you, my heart beat was at 181 and I havent run for over 10 yrs or more!!

When I finished the last 30 secs.. I am ready to stop.. he said NO, u have 20 secs to walk and slow down... and then another 10 and then another 5 secs to cool down.. which is around 55 secs more........

I try and tried so hard to Please him...........................

In the end, The moment the track mill stop.. I lifted 1 leg to the ground and I collapse!!

I remember i was seeing black and i guess i fainted..........

I think the Dr and his assistant got scared.. He and his Assistant keep trying to wake me up.. I heard someone calling my name from both side of my ears....... I dunno how long i fainted but i know i did....

God knows how long.....

When I slowly open my eyes and woke up, they were trying to hold me but I was on my knees.. My legs were soft and rubber.. I couldnt even stand up the first 1 min i think..... They cant even lift me up..

(see how bad to be obese lol)

The dr then shouted.. You need to wake up James and get on to the bed so that we can do the imagine ultrasound of your heart... I tried so hard and in the end i just flop myself to the bed and they do they ultrasound.....

Wat a day !! lol

Everything is fine and i pass the test. I'm so glad :)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Wow what a day !

So how were the results ?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The stress test results all pass.. 98% heart beat rate for my age.

Baseline heart rate was 90 bpm and increased to 181 bpm which is 98% of MPHR for age.

Baseline BP was 120/80 and increase to 150/80mmHg.

ECG was normal.. No diagnostic ischaemic changes seen on the ECG.

Max work load was 10.6 METS.. I guess I am too weak!!

Adequate cardiovascular stress by Max heart rate response.

No stress induced wall motion abnormalities seen.

So everything pass!!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Great ! Congrats !

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
JT, first of all, let me tell you that I am very proud of you for getting to Day 5 of quitting smoking. Excellent work!

Now, your heart stress test couldn't have been a very fun experience. I understand them eating to test your heart's ability to deal with vigorous movement but they really should have done more to help after you fainted. I was never given a heart strength test after my heart attack but then again, the ultrasound revealed that I had little to no damage from the attack. Glad to hear you're ok after that experience.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I remember having my stress test, shudders :eek:

I felt like a hamster running in a wheel. I've only got little legs, it was a challange

well done for doing it

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Everyone for the for the support and Encouragement!

@ Canadiandude: Glad you are ok too.. And yeah, i was looking for a fun experience but didnt thought of it would be that bad. I guess if i have to go for another heart stress test, I would chose another hospital and never go back there again!!

To all: Btw, I heard there is a chemical heart test and it is much more easy, I wonder if i can do that test if i need it the next time..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts