The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
221 - 240 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
Gosh it’s only 2 points over normal. I did have coffee so maybe that did it...black no sugar or anything. I forgot about the coffee.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Gosh it’s only 2 points over normal. I did have coffee so maybe that did it...black no sugar or anything. I forgot about the coffee.
coffee no sugar and black will not raise your BG at all.

and while its only 2 higher, its 5 hours after the meal. it means ANY foods you eat that has carbs at that point forward will put you at 110, 120, etc

if you are starting at 100 when all the food is gone from your system, there is no place to go but up

if you said it was 102 after 1 hour and after 2 hours and then it went down to 90, that would have been different

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
and for the record,

102 is NOT BAD.... in fact its pretty good but my point is that its not great

I dont want to discourage you. you obviously care and want to do what you can and thats great!

but I dont want you to think 102 5 hours after you eat is a great number for someone without diabetes

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
I was thinking of doubling the Metformin on my own as my Dr. cancelled till Feb 12 for some reason. one time I did take it twice for a very short time then he said I Metformin a day. Actually what really happened was he said take it twice a day 50mg each time, but I had forgot he said twice a day and was taking it once a day.... then he said keep it once a day. The pill bottle still says twice a day. If I take it twice a day then the blood number should drop below 100 I figure. Right??
I don’t know if he will get angry or not though.im pretty sure he is going by the A1C average at this point.
Frankly when I was in the hospital in 2012, shortly after he started me on Metformin then stopped all of a sudden as when he started me on it the A1C was 6.2. So I think he is to blame for halting the Metformin which allowed the Diabetes. So it’s his fault maybe.
Anyway water under the bridge. Now he says it’s diabetes but I don’t know if it’s full blown diabetes or just a touch. I mentioned this to him once and he said nothing. I said to him if he kept me on Metformin I would not have any diabetes but he did say it doesn’t work that way. You you blame anyone for wanting to say F it???? Thanks for the responses.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
I was thinking of doubling the Metformin on my own as my Dr. cancelled till Feb 12 for some reason. one time I did take it twice for a very short time then he said I Metformin a day. Actually what really happened was he said take it twice a day 50mg each time, but I had forgot he said twice a day and was taking it once a day.... then he said keep it once a day. The pill bottle still says twice a day. If I take it twice a day then the blood number should drop below 100 I figure. Right??
I don’t know if he will get angry or not though.im pretty sure he is going by the A1C average at this point.
Frankly when I was in the hospital in 2012, shortly after he started me on Metformin then stopped all of a sudden as when he started me on it the A1C was 6.2. So I think he is to blame for halting the Metformin which allowed the Diabetes. So it’s his fault maybe.
Anyway water under the bridge. Now he says it’s diabetes but I don’t know if it’s full blown diabetes or just a touch. I mentioned this to him once and he said nothing. I said to him if he kept me on Metformin I would not have any diabetes but he did say it doesn’t work that way. You you blame anyone for wanting to say F it???? Thanks for the responses.
I want to be honest with you because I care

first , dont take the medication more than the doctor has prescribed

second , this disease is progressive if you dont do anything about diet... now it might be 2 metformin... then maybe another medication and then maybe insulin

third - you are not at a bad stage now. you are at a stage where you can control it through diet and not need ANY medication and stop/slow the progression

My recommendation is still take only 1 a day until you talk to the doctor. Please dont take what I have said as you are in desperate need.. you are not.. this is mild at the moment but that means you have an opportunity that a lot of people dont have. to put it in remission through diet.

Pills fix the symptoms, not the disease

·
Super Moderator
9,521 Posts
In that 5 hours, how long and how much was it over 140? You cannot just cherry pick the numbers you want and ignore the rest. Waiting until you know it is lower to test is not being honest with yourself.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
In that 5 hours, how long and how much was it over 140? You cannot just cherry pick the numbers you want and ignore the rest. Waiting until you know it is lower to test is not being honest with yourself.
I did a glucose first time for two hours mark after breakfast and it was 127
On the glucose meter. That’s HAS to be good in anyone’s book.
This is why I seriously doubt this Diabetes stuff. All my numbers are good within the good range of A1C 7. Good meaning well controlled and A1C under 7 at 6.4. I just have to lay off the sweets a little.

I honestly dislike the meter and using it. For me there no reason to use it anymore. Bottom line is I may have a touch of sugar and I guess most people my age probably do.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm sorry you see my comments as a 'jibe.' I know from personal experience how high glucose numbers over time can result in numb fingers, toes, legs, and arms. It's not fun, I can assure you.

Ultimately, it's your body that will be harmed.
Do you often quote terms? Because if you do, that is one more strike against you.

I am old and tired and I don't play well with others now-a-days. We may be incompatible, and that is my guess here.

I could be wrong.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
Hi, I decided to take my Metformin 500mg tablet every other day. I let my doctors office know. Have not heard back so I assume it’s ok. My A1C is 6.4 so I think it’s worth a try. There has to be other people doing this too. Sound like a plan?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
Forced myself to do a glucose test since the last one I posted here and today it was 152. But I did have a big slice of carrot cake with the icing on it...and it was damn good too. But that’s why mine was 152 I think. I do t think that’s a terribly high number compared to people who are 250.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
you know I also dont think 250 is too high as compared to people who have 400?

not sure comparing yourself to people in much worse case is the best way to look at it..

maybe look at it as ...

Today I am 152 and if I dont do anything about it, it wont be long before I am like that guy who is 250.

also... you're looking to double your dosage... you're looking to take the meds even other day... actually it doesnt really matter. your looking at this as if the medication is the solution, so you will find out how this gets progressive shortly if you are like everyone else with diabetes

·
Super Moderator
1,757 Posts
I do t think that’s a terribly high number compared to people who are 250.
How do you know you're not hitting 250 yourself? What was your blood glucose reading an hour after that piece of carrot cake?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #234 (Edited)
Hi, I dont know I only did the fasting test this morning.
Got new glasses that the left lens is way off and the woman at Walmart Optical Center said when I had my eyes examined she said if it’s wrong then it’s because my sugar was high when the Dr did the test. I said no way I have just a bare touch of high sugar. First, how did she even know about diabetes??? And I said to her it was the lens. Got my eyes checked out again and the Dr. said it’s right then I said they did a wrong PD number then. I said fix the left lens correctly or keep the glasses as there are a danger to wear. We will see what happens.They said the PD number was right but something is off. Anyway I was kinda angry she threw up Diabetes like that too me. Twice she did it. They ****ed up on the lens and I hope they redo it. She read my chart I guess. Not gonna list Metformin again. She said it real loud too and others heard her because they glanced a look. Just a rotten couple days with the glasses fiasco.

·
Super Moderator
9,521 Posts
I have just one tiny thing to say:

You ARE Diabetic

Reactions: etherea

·
Registered
188 Posts
Ratter, what will it take for you to stop thinking that you have just a 'touch of diabetes'?

Non-diabetics don't have fasting numbers of 152.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
I understand as hard as it is for me to believe but it’s minimal and calling myself Diabetic compared to some of you with advanced cases does not seem justified. And yes I really do feel for people who have this. I don’t want to see anyone suffer ever.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
...calling myself Diabetic compared to some of you with advanced cases does not seem justified
When I was just a little bit pregnant, I called myself pregnant. I certainly wasn't "big" like those with more advanced pregnancy, but certainly was pregnant.

I think you could relate better if "diabetes" was called "glucose metabolism disorder". You seem to feel there is a stigma attached to being diabetic.

·
Super Moderator
1,757 Posts
It appears that you are determined not to acknowledge your condition.
Ratter51 would not be the first to do that <raises hand>. I was diagnosed with my own "touch of diabetes" several years before I took serious action to manage it. And I know I'm not the only one posting on this site who waited to act -- sometimes for years.

My numbers were never as high as Ratter51's but my doctor never handed me a prescription for (or even mentioned taking) Metformin. My annual eye exam never showed evidence of diabetes; in fact, I didn't even mention to the eye doctor that I had it, that's how much I was in denial. I knew I wasn't as bad off as my long-time insulin-dependent (and, by then, passed on) father. I knew my sister was T2 but never tied her management of the condition to the consecutive medical events she endured. I wasn't losing a leg like my buddy, who barely controlled what he ate or the exercise he got. So what was there to worry about? Lots of people with diabetes were far worse off than I was.

It took a long time and good reasons (for me, remarriage and grand kids) before I decided I could have another couple of decades to live and that I didn't want to live those years with my father's retinopathy (and eventual blindness) or my sister's neuropathy (which begat not moving which begat worse diabetic control) or the constant infections my buddy suffered where his prosthetic leg attached to what was left of his knee. That's when I got serious.

Has it been easy? No. I used to be "Mr. Restaurant", visiting all the new places before they were reviewed. I loved to cook at home and was always trying new ingredients. Moving to LCHF was easier in a physical sense than it was emotionally; many long-time interests went away and I had to differentiate myself now, writing on the medical form that I had diabetes and passing on social invitations to pasta joints. To be honest, it's taken me some time to deal with some of that.

But when I realize that I am intact and my A1c is in non-diabetic ranges and I don't have the fuzzy vision of high blood sugar or the weird little pains of neuropathy and that my cholesterol is better than many of my non-diabetic peers, and that I can move much better than my neighbor lady, who is just as old as I am but in nowhere near my condition, the effort is worth it.

I won't deny that there are days it feels like a tossup. People have only so much energy each day and sometimes I want to put my T2 second. Or third. But I don't because I know the price of that prioritization. I don't live "the D Life" but I do keep my health in mind because this illness really can hurt me if I don't.

I don't want to see anyone suffer, either. The symptoms of poorly-managed diabetes are well-known and fairly prevalent. So it's hard to see people get hung up on semantic distinctions or to act like nothing has changed in their lives. I certainly can empathize that sometimes people need time to get used to this big new thing in their lives. None of us knows what other battles the rest of us are facing.

But there is a timeline. I don't think any of us can point to the piece of pie or the sack of french fries that finally put us in T2 territory. There always seems to be time to back away from the edge of the cliff. But someday there won't be and I'd hate to see anyone try to do heroic somersaults backward at that time when they could have just stepped back a little some time earlier.

Sometimes it just takes a while. But it cannot take forever without paying a prety high price.

221 - 240 of 278 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.