The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 278 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,864 Posts
@Ratter51, arthropathy or neuropathy? Arthropathy is related to joint damage; neuropathy is nerve damage. "mild nerve arthropathy" mixes the two. However, both are possible complications of diabetes and somewhat treatable.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Hey, I coined a new word
METFORMIN KEN. Rhymes...kind of. Not sure why the Dr cut the Metformin to once a day because twice a day was working. The highest the A1C was 7.1 and now it’s down to 6.4
Maybe I should continue twice a day on my own. Thinking about it.
PS the fasting is always 148 area. So stopped glucose meter readings.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I believe in once in awhile cleansing the body of all drugs for a few days to a week if you can medically. When you resume taking the drugs or meds they seem to be more effective. If someone has advanced issues or advanced Diabetes, then they should not obviously. I’m also taking BPH meds which I halted for a week. All these meds have side effects. Also stopped Arthritis NSAID .... everything. Not much can happen in a week. By the way, BPH and Diabetes have exact same symptoms believe it or not! My diabetes is at the very low end luckily. Feel pretty darn good off everything, I really do.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Well, been off the meds as I stated above because I got light headed and weak
out of no where and was shaking just a tad. Had an apple in the car my wife gave me and got all my senses back. The apple helped big time..... my wife was driving luckily. Started taking all meds and good now. Back on the Metformin too. No more cleansing by stopping meds on my own. The diabetic eating is still an issue that not ready to deal with quite yet.

·
Super Moderator
1,864 Posts
You're making big changes; moving forward even a little still is progress.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Did a glucose meter test around 2pm after I ate grapes 1/2 hour earlier and it was 133 after the grapes. I rarely bother with this meter but had some time to do it. I think that’s real good.
Seems everything in the Diabetes they say I have is getting better and better and I eat like crap according to the diabetes people. A1C is down to 6.4 and Random glucose is down to 133. I can’t figure it but if I’m doing good who cares. Down to one Metformin 500 ml. a day.
Hopefully the A1C will drop more by itself. Go figure. Too sum up A1C was at highest 7.1 and has Catapulted down to 6.4 and as I wrote above today’s random test was 133. No explanation and maybe the diabetes was an error???

One other question, in case I do anymore glucose readings, all the pics show an illustration of someone pricking their finger in the middle where your fingerprints are? But someone said do it on the side of your finger. What is less painful place? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
1,864 Posts
Down to one Metformin 500 ml. a day.
Hopefully the A1C will drop more by itself. Go figure. Too sum up A1C was at highest 7.1 and has Catapulted down to 6.4 and as I wrote above today’s random test was 133. No explanation and maybe the diabetes was an error???
Doubtful the diagnosis was an error. Don't forget, you're still taking the Metformin. Even at 500 mg a day, it's helping bring your finger-prick test levels and your A1cs down.

One other question, in case I do anymore glucose readings, all the pics show an illustration of someone pricking their finger in the middle where your fingerprints are? But someone said do it on the side of your finger. What is less painful place? Thanks in advance.
The sides of your fingers, away from your joints and the nail bed, are far less sensitive than your fingertips, so pricking your fingers there will hurt a lot less. Some of us "rotate" our fingers so we're not using the same one for testing all the time.

Some meters also allow you to test from your palm or your arm. However, those sites are considered inferior to fingertips because blood from those areas often doesn't show big changes in glucose levels as quickly as finger pricks do. This is more important if blood glucose swings up or down rapidly (as it might in a hypoglycemic crash or in a Type 1 who needs an injection of fast-acting insulin).

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Just got back from my PCP Even gave me a pneumonia injection. I asked him that I think the Diabetes diagnoses was an error from Labcorp and I don’t have diabetes and he said 5 times?...no you do have diabetes BUT it’s very mild and the Metformin is keeping under control. Just watch the carbs. Just keep taking the Metformin, I said I will.
So I guess I have it for sure. At least it’s mild.
Also th ER MRI was a herniated disc L4x5 all pain gone. I was really hoping there was an error but nope. That’s the latest.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
I wish it was a mistake but it sounds logical what the doctor said. I will say it’s mild now but without a change in the foods you eat, it’s a proven fact that it is progressive. It’s up to you if you want to keep it mild or let it get progressive . You’re lucky that you caught it early

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Hi, well I figure at the moment if I can eat what I like and keep it mild...why not? I will take the once a day 500mg pill and enjoy my foods. Win win for now.
Win meaning eat what I want and win the Diabetes is very mild and Metformin keeping it mild. So it’s a double win.....hence win win.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Unfortunately , it doesn’t work that way... it won’t be mild (it’s what got you in this situation in the first place )... it will get worse, then you’ll be on more metformin to keep it ‘mild’, then you’ll need another medication on top of the metformin to keep it ‘mild’ and then eventually you will need insulin to keep it ‘mild’ and unfortunately it won’t stop ...

Diabetes without changing your diet is progressive . The medication will only slow the progression a little bit

Good luck with all of your choices my friend

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I understand it takes years to progress. But my Doctor will watch it.
Admitting I have diabetes is a big step for me. On my Metformin bottle, it says something about a brecalet but that’s for people with type 1 or advanced type 2, correct?

·
Super Moderator
1,864 Posts
On my Metformin bottle, it says something about a brecalet but that’s for people with type 1 or advanced type 2, correct?
Diabetes is complicated: insulin levels in the blood vary based on what foods you eat, medications you take, exercise levels, the time of day, how much insulin your own body still can produce (and whether it just can't supply enough or it can supply enough but "overshoots the runway" and produces too much), whether you are well or sick, etc. Not enough insulin leaves glucose in the bloodstream that damages organs. Too much insulin can cause hypoglycemic episodes, and, if those are severe enough, you can pass out -- or worse. This can happen quite suddenly -- and, worse, some people don't experience or are not aware of the symptoms, so they can't feel them and bring up their blood glucose by themselves before it's too late.

The bracelet (necklace, whatever) is there in case you don't recognize or cannot respond to the symptoms quickly enough to increase your blood glucose levels yourself and someone finds you out cold on the floor. It's also useful, in the event of a car accident or the like, for medical professionals to know you have diabetes and are taking medication for it. People with Type 1 and advanced Type 2 diabetes are more susceptible to hypoglycemic episodes, yes, but any person with diabetes could have them.

Since you're taking only Metformin, the risk of going hypo is quote low. However, as with any medications you take, interactions between drugs can result in unexpected effects. Your doctor should be monitoring these potential interactions and letting you know they exist, but it's always good to know yourself that medications can interact, sometimes in a bad way.

I hope that helps you decide whether you should get a medical-alert bracelet/necklace/whatever.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Let me ask you a question, if I go another Dr for whatever reason, they always ask direct or on a form, Do you have diabetes? Beings I have MILD diabetes, does it hurt to say no or not list the Metfirmin? A dentist asked before he pulled a tooth if I had diabetes and I said no. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Let me ask you a question, if I go another Dr for whatever reason, they always ask direct or on a form, Do you have diabetes? Beings I have MILD diabetes, does it hurt to say no or not list the Metfirmin? A dentist asked before he pulled a tooth if I had diabetes and I said no. Thanks
does it hurt? the simple answer is yes

they ask that question for a reason. The medication they use might interact badly with the medication you take. Maybe the medication they use can spike or drop your blood sugar and hurt you.

they ask for a reason. you should be honest. what benefit do you have for lying?

·
Super Moderator
1,864 Posts
they always ask direct or on a form, Do you have diabetes? Beings I have MILD diabetes, does it hurt to say no or not list the Metfirmin?
You should tell them. As hftmrock pointed out, interactions with medications or drugs they give you can cause serious issues, even with mild diabetes or just Metformin.

I know it's taken some time to admit to yourself you have diabetes (you are not alone; many of us took a while to admit it to ourselves) but your diagnosis has been part of your medical record since your doctor told you that you have it. It really does not benefit you in any way to hide the fact from other medical staff since their not knowing could cause you a lot of damage. They'll find out eventually anyway. Why risk the complications?

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Metformin taken with contrast dye for a CAT scan can cause kidney damage--don't risk interactions!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Just so happens I did mention mild diabetes to the ER and MRI place. Now I know why both results said no contrast. I never knew that. I most certainly will inform any doctors in the future, thanks. I know zero about this diabetes stuff.

61 - 80 of 278 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.