The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My girlfriend has Diabetes type 1. She is active and she follows a healthy diet. Sometimes her bg is not as good as she wants it to be after all the hard work.
Today was our 6 months Anniversary and She was sad cause she was concerened about her health and the difficulty of the battle with diabetes.
I try my best to be supportive, but I can never feel what she feels. She even told me once that it's easy to talk when I dont have to deal with diabetes.
I just donated 6 dolars in her honour to the diabetes society of Canda. Do you think what i did was nice? Do you think she might get offended if I tell her about the donation?

G

·
welcome Iamme :) well I think that all you can do is offer your support. I can hear what your gf is saying as it's like anything... if you haven't experienced it, how can you sincerely empathise. But showing your gf you care is the best way and it sounds like you're doing that... I reckon she would be happy to hear you donated as you're putting your money where your mouth is.... that shows where your heart is too. Maybe encourage your gf to join this forum for some extra support?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Get you girlfriend to join this or another online forum. She will find other diabetics with the exact same problems. Diabetes is something that non diabetics, no matter how hard they try can not understand. Every little thing we eat or don't eat can cause bgs to spike. High bgs can cause major health problems. Even when we do everything right there is not guarantee our bgs will behave. I think that is the frustrating part. As far as the donation, I think it is a good gesture but doesn't change your gf's diabetes. I think you should be there to support her and be willing to eat the same type of food as her. When I go out to dinner with others who are eating all this carby, starchy food it drives me nuts.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I would agree with the other two, get her to join herself. This way she can discuss the problem with people who understand what she is going through. As a Type 1 diabetic, I felt totally alone in this diabetic world for the first few months of my diagnosis and when I found this place and these awesome people, it was truly a godsend.
I have a wonderful GF who is actively involved with my condition. She asks about blood sugars, worries about me and has even changed some of her habits in order to make me more comfortable (such as not eating ice cream when I'm so high I can't even have a bite). She is wonderful and it makes the whole process easier. I know I don't tell her enough how awesome she is or how much her care makes a difference so don't be discouraged. Sometimes we take this disease personally and forget to fight it one meal and blood glucose reading at a time.
It sounds like your heart is in the right place and I hope she sees that as well. Good luck and visit often!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Your girlfriend's one lucky woman to have you! We'd like to meet her too!

Planning activities that don't revolve around food -- or where you bring your own diabetic-friendly picnic basket -- would be wonderful. Eating out, or even at friends' houses, can be an exercise in stress, because she needs to figure out what she can eat, where and how to test or dose, etc. It's fantastic to take a break from all that and focus on the fun!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi iamme,
Sorry to know that your gf is diabetic but tell her this is not the end.
I know people living as healthy life as normal people live. Try to make her member of this forum as found this forum best for diabetic patients and fr their families.
I am here too for my mom. She is diabetic and I want to get more info about safety precautions.

http://www.neverstopfitness.com/baltimore-boot-camps/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts