The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone... my Grandmother has recently been diagnosed with type two and she has radically/ dangerously shifted her diet. she has allways been big on sweets, which she has eliminate. However she has gone to the extreme of cutting all foods which contain sugar out of her diet leaving her eating very few meals which consist of crackers and tuna fish. I need a way to explain to her that she can eat foods, but she panics every time her blood sugar is above normal. does any one know of a way to explain to her how to eat.

thanks

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hi SurfBetty: :)

Nice to see you here and I can see why you are concerned about your Grandmother. It is Good that she has cut the sweets out but most foods are converted into sugar including those crackers. Meats and most cheeses that are not processed are fine to eat. They will not raise her sugars in moderate amounts. It's not a good idea for a Type 2 particularly to be eating large amounts of potatoes, pasta, white rice, breads, corn, etc., since they usually have a harder time to rid themselves of the sugar from foods. Drinking enough water daily is important.

I would hope that she will be seeing a Dietician soon who will explain what is Good for your Grandmother to eat and what portions and amount of carbs. You could go with her to make her feel more at ease and to explain to her if she does not understand what the dietician is saying.

Many People use the low carb diet by Dr. Bernstein. He has had Type 1 for many years.

Perhaps she has a close Friend or Family Member who has Diabetes and is doing Good with their treatment including the proper diet.

There may be a community who gather for get togethers in your Grandmother's area where she learn a lot about Diabetes plus have Fun at the same time.

She could also join our Forum if she enjoys using the computer.

Quite simply, if she doesn't eat, she will get Very sick so she will not be doing herself any favours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts