The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last week after having my blood drawn for the first time ever. She said my fasting blood sugar was at 233 but she did not tell me that other # that everyone seems to talk about. She said my other stats were fine. She put me on metformin and referred me to the diabetes educator and dietitian and I have to go back in 4 weeks. She also told me not to eat carbs and to eat a lot of protein. Well I called to make my appointments and there is nothing open until August... so I am sitting there thinking... wth am I supposed to do until then??? At that point my attitude was 'why don't I just lay down and die...' I look at labels I am realizing there are carbs in pretty much EVERYTHING and I have no idea how much I should be consuming. I have just started making a list of foods that I already like that are low in carbs and will go from there I guess.

Hmm family... my dad had diabetes 2, so did my grandpa but they did not get it until later in life (40s I think) and other than my sister having gestational I don't think anyone else in my family has/had it... so I thought maybe my brothers would but not me.... so feeling kind of lost and trying to read everything I can.

Another thing that is difficult... I do not want to tell my family, especially my mom, because I do not want my personal health details broadcast to everyone from my aunts to the neighbors to her coworkers. I love my mom but I really can't deal with all that right now. It is one thing to share myself, like I am right now in a place that is meant for talking about this and another having it randomly discussed with people in person that I am not close to.

Oh and I did not have any symptoms... that I know of anyway. I thought it was funny when my doctor told me I will start feeling better soon and I just thought to myself... but I already feel fine!:confused:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hi,

I know it's all scary stuff at first, but it's going to be Ok. Nothing bad is going to happen in 4 weeks or so,

If you take reasonable care, lose weight if you need to, take exercise, keep your blood sugar under control it won't be a bother and it'll be 20 years before you even have to think about worrying about some of the nasty effects (if then)

I also thought I felt fine, but when I got it under control , i relised how poorly I felt. sort of "foggy" in my brain

:)

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Hi Shari, :welcome: to the forum. There are lots of people here that are ready, willing and able to help you get a handle on this disease. A really good place to start is by reading here: Blood Sugar 101The author is a diabetic herself and everything is well researched. As far as what to eat, many of us here follow a low carb/high fat way of eating. You can learn about that here: LCHF for beginners | DietDoctor.com You can find lots of recipe ideas in right here in the Diet and Nutrition section of the forum.

Tell people when you are ready, I didn't tell my family for a month or so as I wanted to get myself squared away on my plan first. It is overwhelming at first, but it does get easier.

If you didn't get a glucose meter from your doctor, you can get an inexpensive one at WalMart or Target. Walmart's brand is Relion. For a while your meter will be you bff!! Record what you eat and test your bg before a meal then 1 hour after and 2 hrs after. Any foods that cause your numbers to spike should be removed from your diet for now. (Sometimes they can be brought back in later.) After a while you'll have a base of foods you can eat with no problem and won't need to test so often.

Metformin is notorious for causing gastrointestinal issues. I found it better to take it with food rather than before. Usually the problems go away in a few weeks. There is also an extended release form that many use with no problems. Metformin takes a while, up to a month to build up in your system so you won't see results from it immediately.

By cutting your carbs though you will see some results sooner. No bread, cereal, rice, pasta, grains of any sort, including whole grains; most fruits and also veggies that grow underground will cause spikes so best to avoid. Lots of good fats, cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, heavy whipping cream, full fat yogurt, coconut oil, etc. These fats will fill help replace the carbs and fill you up.

Try not to stress, it looks like a lot to do, but it does get easier as you go along. Ask any questions you may have, someone will come along that can answer it or direct you to a place to find it. Glad you found us!:)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to our forum. I didn't have any real symptoms either and I was dx'd with a bg of 240. The other test they often do is called an HbA1c and it gives you a 3 month average of bg and the amount of glycation or sugar coating on your blood molecules. Mine at diagnosis was in the high 10's. Now it is 6.1. You don't mention whether she gave you a bg meter. That is the most important tool a diabetic has. If she didn't give you one and you have good insurance find out if your insurance will cover the cost of strips. If not go to Walmart and buy the Relion Meter and strips. You want to start testing when you wake up ( fasting bg) and 1 and 2 hours after you eat ( pp number). In the beginning your bgs will be high, but as you cut out carbs they should lower. Eventually you should aim for 100 when you wake up and 120-140 after meals. Don't get upset if they are higher. How much metformin are you on? Metformin sometimes takes several weeks to accumulate in your system. Many of us have had to increase our dosages over time. You are right almost everything does have carbs but the good thing is there are lots of other things to eat. Meat, cheese, eggs, veggies are all good. Many of us have given up grains especially wheat. So we do our baking with Almond flour, coconut flour, flaxseed and other nut flours. We don't shy away from fat, we actually eat real butter, real bacon, real coconut oil and real whipping cream. As you take carbs out of your diet replace them with fat calories. This way your body will start to burn fat for a fuel.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am taking 500mg of metformin once a day. The first day I took it after I ate because I forgot and had a horrible stomachache, since then I take it before (or after a few bites) and have not a problem.

I called my insurance and they are sending me a free meter but I bought a $10 mini one at Walgreens that came with ten strips, I'm hoping the free one comes in by the time I'm out. I also read online that my dr can write me an RX for the strips and I will just have to pay a regular rx copay instead of the million dollars I see they normally cost.

Thank you for the links, very helpful.

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
shari81 said:
I am taking 500mg of metformin once a day. The first day I took it after I ate because I forgot and had a horrible stomachache, since then I take it before (or after a few bites) and have not a problem.

I called my insurance and they are sending me a free meter but I bought a $10 mini one at Walgreens that came with ten strips, I'm hoping the free one comes in by the time I'm out. I also read online that my dr can write me an RX for the strips and I will just have to pay a regular rx copay instead of the million dollars I see they normally cost.

Thank you for the links, very helpful.
The Walmart an Target brand meters ( Relion, Up And Up respectively) use strips that cost about $37US per 100. Testing 7 times a day, thats about 2 weeks worth of tests. The Target brand can be bought on amazon under wave sense presto for $30 bucks.

Don't be surprised if your doc only gives a scrip for 1 or 2 tests a day.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had my follow up visit with the DR today, she gave me the script for my onetouch strips but I'm not sure how many they are until I pick up today. I will probably switch to the relion after this but my copay for all my prescriptions today come up to $55 so it will have to wait until next paycheck. I really wish I had put more money in my FSA this year... will probably end up doubling for next year. The past few years I mostly put it in for dental and eyes/contacts so it sucks that I will have to add medical to that as well.

I told my dr how annoyed I was that my dietician and diabetes educator appts are still a month out and showed her my print out from blood sugar 101. She still thought my readings were too high and I will now have to take metformin before breakfast as well as before dinner. I am going to have to work out a system for this as I have enough trouble remembering before dinner... but my mornings are more scheduled so I can probably set an alarm on my phone.

Making this a habit that I everytime I leave the drs office I want to cry and I usually do. I also somehow gained five pounds (though my clothes have felt looser so I thought I would lose). I was wearing my shoes this time but really how much can those add? like a pound. Frustrated but looking forward to gaining control..

·
Registered
556 Posts
I also somehow gained five pounds (though my clothes have felt looser so I thought I would lose). I was wearing my shoes this time but really how much can those add? like a pound. Frustrated but looking forward to gaining control..
Hi, Shari. We're glad you decided to join us.

When my clothes feel looser but the scale hasn't moved, I tell myself I've lost inches instead of pounds. Don't know whether or not that is true, but makes me feel better about the situation. :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
weight tends to flucutate during the day. I weigh the lightest first thing in the morning and the heaviest at night. This is mainly due to fluid intake, a difference of 3 / 4 pounds is not unusual.

If you are watching your weight, best to take it at the same time everyday

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
I had my follow up visit with the DR today, she gave me the script for my onetouch strips but I'm not sure how many they are until I pick up today. I will probably switch to the relion after this but my copay for all my prescriptions today come up to $55 so it will have to wait until next paycheck. I really wish I had put more money in my FSA this year... will probably end up doubling for next year. The past few years I mostly put it in for dental and eyes/contacts so it sucks that I will have to add medical to that as well.

I told my dr how annoyed I was that my dietician and diabetes educator appts are still a month out and showed her my print out from blood sugar 101. She still thought my readings were too high and I will now have to take metformin before breakfast as well as before dinner. I am going to have to work out a system for this as I have enough trouble remembering before dinner... but my mornings are more scheduled so I can probably set an alarm on my phone.

Making this a habit that I everytime I leave the drs office I want to cry and I usually do. I also somehow gained five pounds (though my clothes have felt looser so I thought I would lose). I was wearing my shoes this time but really how much can those add? like a pound. Frustrated but looking forward to gaining control..
Hello and as the others have said :welcome: to the club none of us wanted to join. Blood Sugar 101 is a very useful site - almost as useful as this forum.:)

The first few weeks after you get the news are always frightening but whilst this monkey will be on your back for the rest of your life, you can cage it and make sure it doesn't spoil your fun.

I found that as my OH swapped my diet to LC/HF, the weight started to fall off at a gentle pound or so per week so don't worry too much about the short term result. Muscle weighs more than fat, so your five pounds may contain a bit of muscle and that would explain your clothes showing a bit of ease. Metformin will take a while to kick in, especially at the fairly modest dose you are currently taking but it will help with weight loss too. Just give it time.

Good to hear that your doctor told you to cut back on carbohydrates. Too many of them send the opposite signal and then try to medicate the numbers down!

If you have worries or questions, do ask on the forum - we are a nosy lot but we've also been through the mill and have a lot of experience that we will be happy to share. Each of us is different , so whilst in general the rule of low carb makes sense for all of us, each of us have our own difficult foods. The rule of the game, certainly for a few weeks is "eat to your meter". If you have a meal that causes your numbers to go high - consider dropping something high carb out of that meal. Over time you will figure out what you need to avoid and thereafter, you will be able to cut back on testing a bit.

Welcome again, John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts