The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Michael Bell, and i wanted to take a few minutes to share my story with all of you in hopes that I can create some lasting and helpful friendships on this forum.
As I mentioned my name is Michael and I am 25 years young. haha. When i was 22 years old, I was sent to the hospital with a blood sugar of 49 mmol/L, which I believe is around 882mg/dL in United States testing units. When i went into the hospital, one of the nurses was waiting for me with a stretcher. At that point, Ill be honest, blood sugar numbers didnt mean anything to me, So when she greeted me, and said "How are you feeling" I responded with the standard "Great, how are you?" Then she replied, " Im good, but how are you still standing?" i was confused. Other than the fact that I was peeing like a racehorse and drinking water like it was my job, I didnt know any different. As far as I knew I had a little flu or somethign, or maybe I just had a few too many drinks over reading week. That evening I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. "What? What is that? And how does that effect my life?.... and..... can I go home?" Those were just a few of the thoughts running through my head. To my surprise, I learned that this newly accquired disease of mine was not as easy to deal with as a flu or a hangover. Over the past few years I have gone through many different phases in order to accept, understand and manage my new disease. Ive had months of highs, then months of lows... then months of not knowing.... and I am determined to control my life, and control my disease. I have a lot more to my story, but like the rest of us, I could sit here all day and write about my diabetes and how it has affected my life. But now im calling out.... begging in fact.... for information from other patients that can help me conquer this disease before its too late. I know I can do it, I just need your help!!! I look forward to connecting with you!

Michael

·
Registered
633 Posts
What do you mean when you say conquer this disease. You know there is no winning this game. The best you can do is to not get called out at first. With said the best you can hope for and can obtain is to live a full, long, prosporus life. How do you do this. TEST TEST TEST and then test some more and take advantage of the newest tecnology available like insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitors.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Michael. There are quite a few Type 1's here that will be very helpful to you

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Thanks... Im hoping that this site will give me the push I need to take control again of this challenging disease!
i for one, love it here. this is a place i can talk freely about whats going on with me and my diabetes (i'm a T2) whereas my friends and family, while they care and love me, just dont
get it" sometimes

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome Michael. I like your optimism but you understand as of today there is no cure for diabetes. The insulin you take makes up for your dysfunctional pancreas. There are ways to improve management by using diet and exercise in addition to your insulin. How has your management been? What is your latest HbA1c? There are a lot of Type 1's here with great control and HbA1c's under 6. They are not cured, since they still need insulin but their risk for complications is very low. I'm glad you found us.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome Michael. I like your optimism but you understand as of today there is no cure for diabetes. The insulin you take makes up for your dysfunctional pancreas. There are ways to improve management by using diet and exercise in addition to your insulin. How has your management been? What is your latest HbA1c? There are a lot of Type 1's here with great control and HbA1c's under 6. They are not cured, since they still need insulin but their risk for complications is very low. I'm glad you found us.
I have to say my overall management at this point is poor to put it best. But thats why Ive joined this site. I am no longer going to sit around and feel sorry for the fact that I have diabetes. My last HbA1c was what did it for me. It was at 10 roughly, and I was trying sooooo hard.. so what did I do.. I simply gave up! But this is hopefully the kick I need to get back on track.Im hoping that all of you who have great control can share some of your secrets with me!

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
I have to say my overall management at this point is poor to put it best. But thats why Ive joined this site. I am no longer going to sit around and feel sorry for the fact that I have diabetes. My last HbA1c was what did it for me. It was at 10 roughly, and I was trying sooooo hard.. so what did I do.. I simply gave up! But this is hopefully the kick I need to get back on track.Im hoping that all of you who have great control can share some of your secrets with me!
of course its easier said then done, BUT....stop eating crap

G

·
welcome Michael :) I'm type 2 on insulin so I sort of understand your frustration too. I've had diabetes 12 years now and I can't say I always have complete control of it... there are always surprises. I've had poor health in past 4 years... prior to that I was functioning like any other normal healthy person.... boy BGLs fluctuate like crazy when you're not well. You sound like you've had a bit of experience already. As others have advised the only way to get any control is to test constantly really. I'm currently testing 7-8 days every day on docs, but usually I test 4-5 times every day. It would be nice to wake up one morning and not have diabetes wouldn't it.... what a relief that would be. But the main thing for a diabetic (and I'm sure everyone here would agree) is that we never give up and we keep a positive outlook on life. One thing you realise quick is that you don't always get what you want with BGLs... but try and not stress over it and just do the best you know to do. You will find lots of support here. Sometimes we're venting, sometimes we're just sharing our experiences, etc.... but it helps to chat with people who have a clue what you are going through. :D
PS..... I was diagnosed as 25yo (so not far off from you)... I'm 37 now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
onlymep said:
welcome Michael :) I'm type 2 on insulin so I sort of understand your frustration too. I've had diabetes 12 years now and I can't say I always have complete control of it... there are always surprises. I've had poor health in past 4 years... prior to that I was functioning like any other normal healthy person.... boy BGLs fluctuate like crazy when you're not well. You sound like you've had a bit of experience already. As others have advised the only way to get any control is to test constantly really. I'm currently testing 7-8 days every day on docs, but usually I test 4-5 times every day. It would be nice to wake up one morning and not have diabetes wouldn't it.... what a relief that would be. But the main thing for a diabetic (and I'm sure everyone here would agree) is that we never give up and we keep a positive outlook on life. One thing you realise quick is that you don't always get what you want with BGLs... but try and not stress over it and just do the best you know to do. You will find lots of support here. Sometimes we're venting, sometimes we're just sharing our experiences, etc.... but it helps to chat with people who have a clue what you are going through. :D
PS..... I was diagnosed as 25yo (so not far off from you)... I'm 37 now.
Thank you for your support. I think this site and people like you are exactly what i need to start makinh positive changes... Thanks again!

·
Registered
344 Posts
I am no longer going to sit around and feel sorry for the fact that I have diabetes.
That is the toughest thing admitting that you have diabetes. Almost one year now I struggle with it. Today I signed up the Tour De Cure which will mean telling a lot of my friends that I have diabetes. I thought twice many times in the sign up process about backing out. I have it there is not if or ands about it.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
of course its easier said then done, BUT....stop eating crap
LOL, Eric is right in what he says. Both to stop eating crap, and that it's easier said than done.

But it's the simplest and truest words of wisdom you'll find on this board, and it works!

Welcome!

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
That is the toughest thing admitting that you have diabetes. Almost one year now I struggle with it. Today I signed up the Tour De Cure which will mean telling a lot of my friends that I have diabetes. I thought twice many times in the sign up process about backing out. I have it there is not if or ands about it.
Murph. there is a lot of truth to what youve said. Admitting it "to the public" is a big step. it took me a while to be able to talk about it on boards that are not "diabetes friendly" like this one

G

·
yeah admitting it is hard... but I'm a natural talker (when I want to be) I didn't really have a problem telling people. Although I sometimes wonder if people are putting me in a box because of it... especially at work. I suppose my health has been not it's best in last 4 years... but I don't like people patronising me about it either.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have to say from my first 3 years of diagnosis i have no problems telling people about my disease, but im starting to realize although i speak it i dont believe it. I guess its time to truly accept that im a diabetic and i need to deal with it! Sometimes the truth sucks but its our reality!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello Micheal and welcome to the forum! Come on in and sit down and make yourself comfortable :couch2: I have T2 diabetes and was diagnosed at age 40. We have many T1 members and I hope you meet Richard. He is an inspiration. He has been T1 for most of his life and he is really old :D (not really). If you get the opportunity, read his profile and search some of his posts and read what interests you. The treatment for T1 is different than for T2. I don't want to give you any advice that is not correct, but hang around and check in often. We will do what we can to help you and get your diabetes under control. I hope we are able to offer you the support you need to stay motivated. I hope you can visit often and take care.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Murph. there is a lot of truth to what youve said. Admitting it "to the public" is a big step. it took me a while to be able to talk about it on boards that are not "diabetes friendly" like this one
Hey Eric, I see that your have written over 1,000 posts. I want to personally thank you for being a member. You are a great role model and you have my respect! Hoping we will see another 1,000 posts from you. Once again, THANKS!!! ;)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello

Michael, I am sorry I got to this discussion so late. You have been given very good advice and support here, so I will get straight to a few things I want to mention.

A link that many diabetics find useful is:

Diabetes 101 | Diabetes Forecast Magazine

A book that has helped many type 1 pumpers is "Pumping Insulin" by John Walsh. I saw that you pump on a different forum. The book can be purchased on amazon.com.

I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6. After 65 years with type 1, I am very healthy. It is indeed possible to have a long, healthy life with type 1 diabetes. My diabetes has not held me back, I have had a wonderful marriage, two children, two grandchildren, and a very wonderful life. Now I am having a wonderful retirement. With good control you can be a healthy old geezer like me someday. :D

Ask all the questions, you want, we are here to help!

Richard

1 - 19 of 19 Posts