The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, It’s been awhile, Metformin was making me really sick so Dr tried Glimepiride and it did not do anything so now taking Januvia. My A1C looking back at the three month bloodwork seems to be climbing through he last few years. The A1C is now 8.5 down from 8.6, 3 or 4 month earlier. again nurse practitioner subbing for vacationing Dr. hinted at Trilicity or Ozempic. I had asked my Dr before about this and he said no. I was in hospital last year for laundry list of things. one listed thing was stage 2 Kidney disease. Those pen injections mentioned says can cause Kidney damage so I assume that’s why he said no. But in hospital, my glucose reading was 150 3 times and by law they gave me a black pen injection a few times.
Did not hurt at all. Again last office visit when Dr. was there he said 8.5 A1C is not that bad and my wife heard him say it also. He said I need to keep taking Januvia longer.
No side effects which is good. My numbers seem to be holding at 8.6 and 8.5.
no signs of any damage from various Dr’s. (Foot Dr & eye Dr.) Last year I was very sick was in hospital 4 or 5 days. Sepsis, diverticulitis, pulmonary embolism, renal failure and a 104 fever that finally broke. The hospital hardly mentioned the type 2 other than what I said. I’m good to go now but sun makes me feel like throwing up feeling. That’s the latest of my type 2 open journey. Hope everyone else is doing good.

·
Administrator
2,618 Posts
Thanks for the update, Ratter51. You certainly have had your share of health challenges over the past year or so. At least your A1c is not rising rapidly. I hope the road ahead is smoother for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ratter51,
I am glad to hear that your A1c is down.
I was leary of the needles needed to inject my meds, but they really are very tiny and does not hurt too much.
Much less pain then pricking your finger.
Currently AACE/ACE would recommend an A1C goal of <6.5% and the ADA recommends <7.0%.

I have also found that I am less tolerant of the sun.
I try to sit in the shade whenever possible.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi, something is going on with Januvia now. The fasting glucose numbers are going up. 220 seems to be the area. Allen the Dr office and male nurse blamed me and eating habits. He is not a Dr. Have regular app in Oct. might try the dreaded Metformin with Januvia on my own.

·
Administrator
2,618 Posts
Sorry to hear the numbers are going up, Ratter51. For what it's worth, the two medications together are sold as one medication called Janumet. But maybe things will change and you won't need it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used to take Janumet and was very happy with the medication. I am now on Metformin ER since Medicare does not pay for Janumet and the $5 per script coupon can not be applied to Medicare.
I am attaching the link if anyone is interested, it saved me a bundle when I had insurance through work.

Ratter51, have you tried the keto diet?
This is where you eliminate some/all of the carbs from your diet. I started off with a modified version of the keto and as my diabetes progresses my diet has become more strict.
The original dietician suggestions of 45 carbs for meals and 15 carbs for snacks, and that was NOT cutting it for me.
My last A1c was 6.4.
There are LOTS of things that will raise your glucose. I have been diabetic for 26 years and I just found out coffee, artificial sweeteners and nasal spray can raise your sugars :rolleyes:.
If you do not believe your sugars are in control (and you are doing all the right things), then it may be time for a new doctor.
But what ever you do, please make sure to NOT to prescribe medication "on your own".

Please note: Metformin and alcohol can cause IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) like symptoms.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I used to take Janumet and was very happy with the medication. I am now on Metformin ER since Medicare does not pay for Janumet and the $5 per script coupon can not be applied to Medicare.
I am attaching the link if anyone is interested, it saved me a bundle when I had insurance through work.
I also saved a lot of money with that coupon. My work insurance quit covering Janumet a couple of years before I retired and I switched to Metformin ER. Those coupons exclude Medicare even if they covered Janumet.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
New update……the Dr started me on twice a day Januvia and still fasting numbers around 220 to 240 so let hm know so today said take Januvia and Metformin together twice a day. Not feeling real good but we will see. I’m on dual therapy I guess. Total 4 pills two in morning and 2 at supper.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ratter51,J
Good to hear that the doctor has changed your medications. Hopefully it will help with your fasting sugars.
Not sure if you are on Medicare or insurance through work. But if you are NOT on Medicare there is a $5 coupon for Januvia.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ratter51,J
Good to hear that the doctor has changed your medications. Hopefully it will help with your fasting sugars.
Not sure if you are on Medicare or insurance through work. But if you are NOT on Medicare there is a $5 coupon for Januvia.
Hi, I have Medicare Advantage Plan A. I don’t think they have this exact plan anymore but I can keep it as I was already signed up. Everything is covered for Diabetes. The most I may have to pay is $5 once in n awhile. Last night bad reaction but so far all is good. Took Metformin and Januvia. At once. I’ll hang around for an hour just to make sure. All good right now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts