The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been keeping record of my three-month average for the past year.
Soon I will be seeing my doctor for my A1C level. My most recent one, yesterday was 5.9 overall for 3 mos.. For me this is new because the prior ones have been 6-7 approx., so I am getting better at controlling my blood sugar levels.
I am wondering what 5.9 is equivalent to in A1C and what the difference is between the two measurements. I would appreciate any information.

·
Registered
930 Posts
when i feel math challenged ( most of the time ) i use this for A1c:

A1c/Average Blood Glucose Conversion Using the ADAG Formula

Hi,

I've been keeping record of my three-month average for the past year.
Soon I will be seeing my doctor for my A1C level. My most recent one, yesterday was 5.9 overall for 3 mos.. For me this is new because the prior ones have been 6-7 approx., so I am getting better at controlling my blood sugar levels.
I am wondering what 5.9 is equivalent to in A1C and what the difference is between the two measurements. I would appreciate any information.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My math may be faulty, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I come up with an A1c of 5.78
Shanny,

If the following website is reliable, you are doing very well:

Guidelines Blood Sugar Levels: Normal, Pre-diabetes, Diabetes

See "Normal Range Blood Glucose Levels" table

"Normal range blood sugar levels have been harder to define over the recent years. Research keeps revealing that even slight elevations in blood glucose are associated with eye damage and increased risk of heart attack and stroke even before people get diabetes. "

- interesting footnote above -- it seems that diabetes really means high blood sugar but not necessarily constant high blood sugar, much like high blood pressure;

·
Registered
718 Posts
Ooooo...nice! I didn't realize A1c was different than the average... my 30-day avg has been 107, so that gives me a 5.3! Sweet!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts