The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mom Died from Ketaocidosis. Ketoacidosis is a type of metabolic acidosis which is caused by high concentrations of ketone bodies, formed by the breakdown of fatty acids and the deamination of amino acids. The two common ketones produced in humans are acetoacetic acid and β-hydroxybutyrate.
Ketoacidosis is an extreme and uncontrolled form of ketosis, which is a normal response to prolonged fasting. In ketoacidosis, the body fails to adequately regulate ketone production causing such a severe accumulation of keto acids that the pH of the blood is substantially decreased. In extreme cases ketoacidosis can be fatal.[1]

Ketoacidosis is most common in untreated type 1 diabetes mellitus, when the liver breaks down fat and proteins in response to a perceived need for respiratory substrate. Prolonged alcoholism may lead to alcoholic ketoacidosis. Fasting leads to ketosis but not ketoacidosis.

Ketoacidosis can be smelled on a person's breath. This is due to acetone, a direct byproduct of the spontaneous decomposition of acetoacetic acid. It is often described as smelling like fruit or nail polish remover.[2] Ketosis may also smell, but the odor is usually more subtle due to lower concentrations of acetone.

Diabetics are given insulin and drops their BLOOD SUGAR way to low and without sugar they will die.. IF YOUR NOT EATING CARBS YOU SHOULD NOT TAKE INSULIN..

MY MOM DIED IN THE HOSPITAL. SHE WAS A DIABETIC AND GIVEN INJECTIONS THREE TIMES A DAY SHE PASSED AWAY FROM Ketoacidosis.. THEY NEVER GAVE HER ENOUGH SUGAR TO KEEP HER PH LEVES UP AND SHE DIED. Doc said your moms PH levels was at zero. Zero they let her die cause they didnt give her enough sugar nor did they stop the insulin..

If you inject insulin and then feel faint and need sugar then why take the insulin if your sugar levels are low in the first place.. A dietician will tell a diabetic how to eat so they keep the sugar levels low and the doc give you insulin to lower the sugar levels.. so both docs are fighting against each other.. you have to have sugar if you are takin insulin especially if your blood sugar is already low dont take the insulin..

With that said.. we must have some type of carbs but complex carbs slow release to the blood system..

Remeber that insulin is used to help get rid of high blood sugar, and if your taking insulin you must have carbs..

There is no signs of being a diabetic thats why its hard to detect. Low blood sugar makes you dizzy, weak and faint and you must get some sugar in you.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Real sorry that your mom died.

If I eat 0 carbs I still need insulin, the body breaks protein in the food down into sugars. without insulin my cells cant absorb the sugars and my blood sugar goes high.

So yes it is a balancing act. its not as simple as just dont eat carbs and you wont need insulin. I wish it was.

Sorry for your loss

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Mom Died from Ketaocidosis. Ketoacidosis is a type of metabolic acidosis which is caused by high concentrations of ketone bodies, formed by the breakdown of fatty acids and the deamination of amino acids.

Diabetics are given insulin and drops their BLOOD SUGAR way to low and without sugar they will die.. IF YOUR NOT EATING CARBS YOU SHOULD NOT TAKE INSULIN..

MY MOM DIED IN THE HOSPITAL. SHE WAS A DIABETIC AND GIVEN INJECTIONS THREE TIMES A DAY SHE PASSED AWAY FROM Ketoacidosis.. THEY NEVER GAVE HER ENOUGH SUGAR TO KEEP HER PH LEVES UP AND SHE DIED. Doc said your moms PH levels was at zero. Zero they let her die cause they didnt give her enough sugar nor did they stop the insulin..
I am so sorry for your loss...but I must admit your post has me a bit confused. Ketoacidosis results from a shortage of insulin; in response the body switches to burning fatty acids and producing acidic ketone bodies that cause most of the symptoms and complications. So there is not enough insulin in the body and the blood sugar will be high...not low. So if she died from ketoacidosis, her blood sugar was too high and she didnt have enough insulin. When she died, I am sure her Ph levels were low, that happens in ketoacidosis....but absolute zero is not possible. If they didnt give her enough sugar, sounds more like hypoglycemia (or maybe a rebound hypo from the high). Either way...not good :(

If you inject insulin and then feel faint and need sugar then why take the insulin if your sugar levels are low in the first place.. A dietician will tell a diabetic how to eat so they keep the sugar levels low and the doc give you insulin to lower the sugar levels.. so both docs are fighting against each other.. you have to have sugar if you are takin insulin especially if your blood sugar is already low dont take the insulin..
Agreed...if your blood sugar is low at the time you are supposed to take your insulin, you need to correct the low first. But if you are insulin dependant, you will still need some insulin. The body has a basal need for insulin coverage all the time. If you simply stop taking insulin, your blood sugar will rise high again. It is a balancing act that diabetics have to learn to manage.

With that said.. we must have some type of carbs but complex carbs slow release to the blood system..
Remeber that insulin is used to help get rid of high blood sugar, and if your taking insulin you must have carbs..
There is no signs of being a diabetic thats why its hard to detect. Low blood sugar makes you dizzy, weak and faint and you must get some sugar in you.
That is true that complex carbs are better and will keep your blood sugar more stable. I am truly sorry for your loss. Diabetes can be a difficult disease to manage sometimes and some diabetics can be especially brittle. :(

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss, banditgirl. Losing our moms leaves a huge hole in our lives.

When your mother went into DKA, her blood sugar prob'ly went skyhigh instead of hypo. That is the essence of DKA.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Mom Died from Ketaocidosis. Ketoacidosis is a type of metabolic acidosis which is caused by high concentrations of ketone bodies, formed by the breakdown of fatty acids and the deamination of amino acids. The two common ketones produced in humans are acetoacetic acid and β-hydroxybutyrate.
Ketoacidosis is an extreme and uncontrolled form of ketosis, which is a normal response to prolonged fasting. In ketoacidosis, the body fails to adequately regulate ketone production causing such a severe accumulation of keto acids that the pH of the blood is substantially decreased. In extreme cases ketoacidosis can be fatal.[1]

Ketoacidosis is most common in untreated type 1 diabetes mellitus, when the liver breaks down fat and proteins in response to a perceived need for respiratory substrate. Prolonged alcoholism may lead to alcoholic ketoacidosis. Fasting leads to ketosis but not ketoacidosis.

Ketoacidosis can be smelled on a person's breath. This is due to acetone, a direct byproduct of the spontaneous decomposition of acetoacetic acid. It is often described as smelling like fruit or nail polish remover.[2] Ketosis may also smell, but the odor is usually more subtle due to lower concentrations of acetone.

Sorry to hear about your Mother dying. I have type 2 diabetes and my body still makes some insulin. I need insulin in order to keep my blood sugar within medically acceptable ranges. I take 2 types of insulin. One type of insulin is called basal or background insulin. I need this to help keep my overall blood sugar within range. The next type of insulin is bolus or mealtime insulin which is taken at mealtime to help keep my blood sugar from going too high. If I don't eat any carbs at mealtime, then there is no need to take my mealtime insulin, most people with type 2 diabetes do not take any mealtime insulin if no carbs are eaten. If I test my blood sugar before eating and my blood sugar is lower than normal then there is a way to figure out how to reduce your mealtime insulin so that you are still covering your carbs and keep your blood sugar from going to low, this is sometimes called a correction factor. Insulin does serve its purpose in the course of treating diabetes and many diabetics would die early without it. I am not sure of all the details leading up to your Mother's death, but it sounds like a complicated unusual case.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
ketoacidosis

Twice in the past few years, I forgot to bolus for a meal and I was very high a few hours later. I had some ketoacidosis when I tested for it. My ISF (insulin sensitivity facor) is 12. That means each unit of insulin I take will lower my BG level 12 points. I don't remember how high my BG was when I had ketoacidosis, let's say it was 280. My target is 90 so I needed to lower my BG 190 points. I divide 190 by 12 and get 15.8. If I take 16 units of fast acting insulin it will lower my BG enough to put me near my target, and it will not cause me to have a bad hypo.

If they had known your mother's insulin sensitivity they would have known how much insulin she needed and they would have stopped the insulin delivery when she had the proper amount. They should also have been watching her BG level frequently while she was receiving insulin.

That was a fatal mistake that was made at the hospital. I am very sorry that it happened.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your mother's loss. I had no idea that could happen as I am currently on very low carbs and mainly on a higher fat diet which kinda worries me because of the ketones.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you are a type 1 you may have heard about keytone test strips. Your Dr. will advise you. You don't want DKA. It's very dangerous.

·
Registered
12 Posts
okay so now im confused i should not be doing a ketone diet?
I think you are referring to Atkins type diets (ketogenic) high fat low to no carb. My son is a type 1. Even if he ate no carbs his body produces them and he gets soaring blood sugars.
Have you looked at then Fat Flush diet by Gittleman?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Our bodies can produce glucose from protein, but not from fat. As KK says, even eating NO carbs will not deprive your body of the glucose it needs.

I know nothing about ketogenic diets, but I sharply limit carbs in my own diet. I do not limit fats or protein. I've been healthier than ever since adopting this way of eating.

I do think it's better to eat to your meter and develop the menus that work best for you personally. I'm not impressed with the diets that are making a pile of money for the authors, nor am I impressed with a lot of the product placement used in many of them.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss, banditgirl. Losing our moms leaves a huge hole in our lives.

When your mother went into DKA, her blood sugar prob'ly went skyhigh instead of hypo. That is the essence of DKA.
I am sorry to hear of your loss. It sounds like the hospital did not check for Diabetic Ketoacidosis. You might want to have that investigated. If they did not check your mom for DKA you might have a complaint to file with the State Medical Board. If a person is in DKA that not only means they are not getting enough insulin but that their electrolyte levels are way off and they are low on things like potassium and other things which can cause heart failure etc.
The hospital really failed in your mother's case and you should certainly get a hold of her medical records to see if tests were run for DKA as DKA is a lot more complicated than not getting enough insulin. Sending a lot of hugs your way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts