The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I haven't been posting here too much lately, I've been spending lots of time at the hospital and just can't be bothered to be on the internet much...

Just thought I'd share the news on my mom, and vent a little...

She's been sick for months, and even though previous scans have shown tumors, all the biopsy's they've done in the past have been negative for cancer. (She had two done as recently as this May, both of which were negative results.) Because the growths were non-cancerous, and because they were in dangerous areas for surgical removal (literally pressing on her spine, kidneys and abdominal aorta...) they've not done much of anything for her until it got so bad she couldn't eat, and had to go to the ER.

Unfortunately, they did another biopsy while she was in the hospital, and determined the tumors were indeed cancer - a rare form called Spindle Cell Sarcoma (I think... I was in shock at the time they told me...).

As to why the previous biopsy's came back negative, they can only speculate that there is both benign and malignant cells in the tumors, and that malignancy was not caught.

However, they say even if they DID catch it in May, that the resulting outcome would still have been the same...

Which brings me to the outcome... She unfortunately has stage 4 cancer, and it is classified as "untreatable".

We're told that treatment is usually surgical removal of tumor AND any surrounding healthy tissue. However, they did a recent surgery to help alleviate a blockage in her digestive tract (the tumor has been compressing the area where her stomach empties, so she can't eat... so they did a bypass to 'move' things in her gastro-intestinal system) - and when they were in there they realized how bad the cancer is - it's everywhere, and it's pressing on both kidneys, her liver, her digestive tract, her abdominal aorta, and more. There is NO way to surgically intervene. The type of cancer also does not respond well to radiation or chemo, unfortunately.

The goal is now palliative treatment - they're working on trying to get her eating food again (she's been on a PICC for her nutritional needs) and helping her to get as much strength and health back as possible. The goal of palliative treatment is to have her as healthy as she can be during the rest of whatever time she has left, so she can at least be home instead of the hospital (where she's now been for about a month...)

They cannot give us an estimate on how much time she has left - I guess it's rare enough and varied enough that there's no way to be sure. I'm making the most of whatever time there is though.

It's very frustrating because my mom is still young (she'll turn 71 on October 8th) and has always been healthy and active - so this is quite a shock to all of us.

Heck, I was sure she'd out-live me. Her husband - my step-dad, is a mess. He's been through THREE bouts of cancer himself, and has always thought he'd go first, not her... So he's completely unprepared emotionally for this. We all are.

Anyway, not sure what else to say - just felt like letting someone else in the world know - I'm sure many people have been there.

thanks for listening. Or reading I guess, or whatever.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Thoughts and prayers for you, your mom and your family ...

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
So sorry to hear that beefy. I just lost my uncle this past May from a rare cancer that began in the tailbone and spread. He found out he had stage 4, went to stage 5 very quickly. All in all it was two weeks. Big shocker. He had no signs that he had anything other than a backache. I am praying for your Mom, you and your family. Know that you are all in our thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted and stay strong. Hugs

·
Registered
741 Posts
Im so sorry...I don't think anything can prepare you for this kind of pain....thoughts and prayers are with you

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
This is devastating heartbreaking news. Thoughts are with you as you and your family move through this time together. Every moment is precious indeed.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I am very sorry for your situation. It is sad when the medical professionals we count on say there is nothing they can do.

One thing I have been reading a lot about since my own DX is the relationship between cancer and glucose. There is mounting evidence that may types of cancer cells really thrive in a glucose-rich environment and unlike nearly all of the body's own cells can ONLY live on glucose and cannot switch to free fatty acids or ketones.

As such, ketogenic diets - which drastically reduce the amount of circulating glucose and cause 95% of your cells to switch off glucose to other fuels - have been used with some success to treat difficult cancers among them brain tumors.

Not to over-simplify but this might be something to look into as at least bringing some improvement to your mother's situation. Here's a sample link:

Ketogenic Diet to Treat Cancer?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
There are just no words, Beefy. Know that we keep you in our thoughts & prayers, for you & your family to gain the emotional strength for what's to come. Life is SO not fair.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I wish you and your family much strength for the fight ahead.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Beefy, my thoughts and prayers are with you for your mom and your family. My mother in law was always fairly healthy and active like your mom and she got a Dx of liver cancer and it just consumed her body. She chose to go home and spend whatever time she had left with family rather than be in a hospital. It was sad to see her go so quickly but she did avoid a lot of the pain. Just be strong for her. You are in my prayers.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Beefy, I am so sorry to hear this. Please know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I wish there was something more that I could do.. I hate seeing people go through this kind of pain.

Just know that we are here for you anytime you need to vent, scream , yell, cry or anything....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Wow. I am sorry for what you and your family are going through. Cancer sucks, no matter which way you put it. It really puts things into perspective, especially when I start to feel sorry for myself.

·
Registered
322 Posts
i dont think it is ever easy to deal with bad news, especilly when it deals with our mom's.
I lost my mom in feburary this year, after she had struggeled with MS for the last 10 years. i feel for you and the diffacult emotions that you are going though.
we will be praying for you and your mom today.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Beefy, I'm so sorry. I can only say that I hope you will help your Mom live life to the fullest and with the most joy possible in the time you have together. It will be the greatest gift you can give one another. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Best,
Jen

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Beefy that's sad news indeed. My heart breaks for all of you. Know that all you can do is let her know at every opportunity how precious she is to you and as someone else said, stay strong and do take good care of yourself.

Hugz,

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Alas, what on earth do I add here that adequately conveys just how sorry I am to hear about your mother! Cancer has always been that one disease that simply scares the heck out of me. Nothing else bothers me that much but ever since my grandmother dies of cancer when I was 20, I have come to fear it. Everyday we read news of new treatments and potentially miraculous cures but they always seem to be "under study" or "coming in the future" and those excuses always hit hardest when someone you love is battling this disease.

I have never been one to believe in miracles, but today Beefy, I will hope beyond hope for just that!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Beefy, so sorry for the news about your Mother. When I heard a similar diagnosis about my own Mother 5 years ago - it was like someone punched me hard in the stomach. Cherish the time you have left with each other and don't be afraid to cry if you feel like it. Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Beefy,
You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Jenn

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow, thanks so much everyone for the tremendous support. I visited her today and she looked and seemed to be feeling a little better. Managed to keep some solid food in her, and we took her for a wheelchair ride outside in the sunshine.

It's actually the FIRST TIME she's been outside in over a month... 31 days since she's felt the sun or fresh air... That seemed to really brighten her up. She hasn't been able to before as it hurts a lot sitting up, so this was good news.

Again, thanks all for the outpouring of support, kind words, etc. It means a lot.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
718 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about your mom, beefy. There is nothing I can say to lessen the hurt, but know you are in my thoughts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts