The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been diabetic since i was 10 years old. im now engaged and living a happy life but recently my fiance has gone to Penticton for his hospital practicum in Pharmacy Tech. Every day I still check my numbers, I eat my meals and I drink a lot of water, I work on my feet for 8 hours 5 times a week and yet somehow my blood sugar numbers are reaching an all high. I have just recently figured out that I am always dehydrated, dizzy, tired, and my vision doesnt seem to keep the same. Ive done my insulin, checked my numbers, had my water like i always do to keep me hydrated and numbers lower sometimes... But now this is just getting a little bit out of control. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive been in the 20 - 30 mark for the past few days after just checking my number and it being at a low of 4 - 8 . And when I check my numbers for meals, i always eat something healthy and with a bottle of water with it.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
What do you call healthy? and how do you do insulin, count carbs or set dose at each meal, Sick or infection as they will raise BG numbers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i am fighting a cold, im getting better and by being healthy I will eat an orange, apple or a slice of bread with peanut butter on it for a snack. My breakfast was granola cereal with milk and my medication. I do insulin by injection and I do count carbs but not all the time. For me, 1 unit of Humalog will count for 3 BG units. I may not be on the page as most diabetics at this point because i am just getting into carb counting since i was never introduced to it before until this year.

·
Registered
617 Posts
With such high numbers for several days I really think you should contact your doctor, especially since you feel dizzy and unwell as well. Please don't wait, just give him/her a call and get some professional advice.
Take care!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
well i am fighting a cold, im getting better and by being healthy I will eat an orange, apple or a slice of bread with peanut butter on it for a snack. My breakfast was granola cereal with milk and my medication. I do insulin by injection and I do count carbs but not all the time. For me, 1 unit of Humalog will count for 3 BG units. I may not be on the page as most diabetics at this point because i am just getting into carb counting since i was never introduced to it before until this year.

That is NOT eating well for a T2 glad your a T1 with that diet, however look up law of small numbers. less carbs means less insulin means less BG swing when you dont get it quite rite. Colds will definitely make your numbers go up.

Dont want to step on any T1 toes but, for me insulin lowers BG if my BG is too high, for whatever reason, I take more insulin until my numbers come down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With such high numbers for several days I really think you should contact your doctor, especially since you feel dizzy and unwell as well. Please don't wait, just give him/her a call and get some professional advice.
Take care!
Thank you, I shall be going in tomorrow to have a check up. It did worry me a lot because I normally know when something is really wrong, when my cat tends to bother me a lot by nudging me, laying beside or on me, and meowing too. So i realized something was wrong and that I had to go to the doctor. Its nice to know other people care about other people that they dont even know. Its very nice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is NOT eating well for a T2 glad your a T1 with that diet, however look up law of small numbers. less carbs means less insulin means less BG swing when you dont get it quite rite. Colds will definitely make your numbers go up.

Dont want to step on any T1 toes but, for me insulin lowers BG if my BG is too high, for whatever reason, I take more insulin until my numbers come down.
That is the same for me, but for some reason when I take more insulin to lower my numbers i usually have to do something like take a jog or walk a good hour to help it. If i just take the insulin and allow myself to ease myself into things and drink water, it doesnt always go down. Like I woke up at 4.6 this morning, that was at 9am, at lunch 12pm I was up to 32.2 and what I did was take a walk to a clinic that does diabetic walkins and appointments, came home had my breakfast and did laundry, played with my cat and watched some tv. I had nothing too sugary to eat and for some reason i shot up like that. it worried me.

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
A low carb high fat diet should help not only a T2 but also T1s. I know many who low carb and keep their insulin needs low. Orange, apple, bread and cereals have all been out of my kitchen for a while now. So a good reading of our diet/recipe sections will help in that regard.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Hi again, glad you contacted a clinic :) Did they test you for ketones and make sure that you're ok despite your numbers? Also, any good advice from them? Keep us updated and keep well!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts