Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

My numbers have been so high for so long...

5K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Shanny 
#1 ·
That a bedtime reading of 116 and I was feeling clammy and a bit nauseated.

What do I do to comat this?

Also I take my meds (metformin and glipizide) to lower my sugars, why would I take them with such a low reading? Im not sure I completely understand how the meds work.

#2 ·
I don't see an edit button, I wanted to edit to include dosages. I am taking 1000mg metformin in the am and 1000mg in the pm. and 10 glipizide am, 10 glipizide pm. The comment about taking the meds in the pm with a "low" reading I realize 116 is not low... But it is hella low for me. I just wanted to clarify.

#3 ·
That a bedtime reading of 116 and I was feeling clammy and a bit nauseated.

But it is hella low for me. I just wanted to clarify.

That is why you get the "low feeling" you body is used to a BG that is much higher, so a reading of 116 is "low" to what your body is used to. as your body gets used to being like 150 than 116 wont be low.

I am assuming that the meter is working proper and your test site was not contaminated.

#4 ·
If you feel low then you need some carbs, that should make you feel better. You still need your meds because your blood sugar will not stay 116 all of the time. The meds are there to keep your numbers from going too high. The meds need to be in your system to work around the clock.

#5 ·
Your medication dosage could be reduced so you will not have blood sugar quite as low as it is now. A gradual increase in dosage as your body adjusts would then be the right thing to do. Eventually you would feel comfortable on the 90s and even the 80s later on. That is a sign of good control. Your doctor should be consulted about this. If you explain your situation and request a temporary reduction in dosage, your doctor should agree.

Richard

#6 ·
I have the same problem when my glucose is high for ages. My doctor calls it a 'relative low' but I'm not sure if you can still have a hypo when you're having a relative low? I should find out!

I'm just slowly reducing my overall glucose levels so that I feel fine when it reaches good levels and I don't get that relative low. I also found out that sometimes I feel low when my glucose isn't stable, like it's falling really fast (2 points in 10 minutes, 10mmoL - 8mmoL). Did you measure your glucose again shortly after the reading?

#7 ·
What your doctor calls a relative low is also called a "false hypo" by some diabetics. It feels like a real hypo though.

Yes, a fast drop can make you feel like a hypo even if you are not very low by your meter. That is normal.

You asked: "Did you measure your glucose again shortly after the reading?" I am not sure what you meant by that. I will be happy to answer if you explain.

#10 ·
Actually, I did not check it again.

But a small update, yesterday I did not break 200 at all, in fact the highest I got was 170. I was as low as 110 yesterday afternoon and did not feel the cold clammy, shaky feeling i had felt the night before. i am hoping there is some adjustment going on here.. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.