The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Experts, a couple of quick questions -:

1. Does the thumb count as a legitimate candidate for a finger prick test. I'd like to give my other 8 fingers a rest.

2. How do you help your fingers cope up with the trauma of repeated pricks ? Any special creams, lotions etc

·
Registered
497 Posts
I am with you but I only use 3 fingers all the time. I have to switch it up a bit.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I use the side of my finger tips and it is much less pain. I use the same side of the fingers on one hand one day, rotate to the other side of those fingers the next day, do the same thing to the other hand for the next two days and then use the four sides of my thumbs one day. This gives me five days to go without repeating tests on the same hand so it gives them a nice break and time to recover.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Theoretically you could use any finger or even an off site spot like your hand or arm using the clear cap that comes with your meter. I find though that I use only 2 or 3 fingers on my left hand all the time. I have been doing this for 5 years and don't have a problem. It seems to spots heal very quickly. If you are getting sore spots you may need a different lancing device or a shallower setting.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I test really often, and I use the sides of my fingertips, and I never use the thumb or the forefinger.
I always change which finger to test.
I also like to use a good creme once or twice daily.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I only use creams during the Winter months because the heat does a number on my skin. If you use Coconut oil in your cooking try rubbing a little on your fingers, it is amazing.

Reactions: optimist

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I haven't had any problems, but I do change lancets often so I barely feel the pricks, and afterwards can't see where they were even. I prick on the sides also, and on each side there might be 4-5 different places I stick. Don't use cream since my skin is naturally pretty soft and oily, but if you have drier hands that would surely help.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
i use the middle and ring finger on my left hand, right side of the finger each and every time. Ring finger in the morning, and middle finger if i test in the evening.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks

Thanks you all for your answers.

Im going to name each of my fingers on my hands as Monday to Friday.

On Sunday, I'll think of something :)

Reactions: moon
1 - 11 of 11 Posts