The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after seeing my doc last week, it seems he made me an appt. to visit the "Healthy Living" clinic in the closest hospital to us (approx. 50 km. one way) and so I attended that appt. to see what it was all about, hoping that I would get some good info.

Well, I was advised that what it is, is a 12 week program, twice per week during the day, where they want me to come and be counselled, do exercises and meet with a dietician on a regular basis. This would consume two full mornings per week for 12 weeks and I work full-time!!!

When I said that wasn't possible, the response I got was "If your health is important to you, then you would make it work." I was dumbfounded!! I asked her who was going to pay my bills while I was visiting the clinic and she just smiled at me. Not to mention, who is going to pay the fuel costs to travel twice a week and other expenses, etc. Again, no response from her.

My health is very important to me and so far my numbers have dropped drastically and I'm finally losing weight by exercising at home and eating a balanced diet.

I guess I'm just angry that I was made to feel guilty that I have this problem and I was made to feel like I was showing no effort if I didn't put my life on hold for 12 weeks to join their program.

I see my doc next week and I'm going to tell him not to be making plans for me without consulting me first!!!!

I'm guessing this stress is not going to be good for my afternoon numbers.

Sorry for ranting!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't plan on going back. I work full-time, plus I have medical care that I do for my father three evenings a week as he's on dialysis and I do it for him, which leaves me not a lot of time for housework, yardwork and leisure time. I don't have time to be going to classes , when the things they are doing, I can do for myself at home, such as riding my bike, going for walks and hopefully joining an aquafit class this summer once our pool is open here (it's an outdoor pool). My neighbour just had knee surgery, so the two of us figured we could go wallow around in the water one evening a week and do the exercise class. Much better as it's only 6 blocks from home!

I'm going back tomorrow to see the primary care nurse at the doctor's office and I'll voice my opinion to him. He deals with things like taking weights, giving dietary advice, checking blood sugars, reading bloodwork results, etc. He really wasn't sure why I was referred there in the first place, but told me to go check it out and take it from there.

I see my doc next week. As it is, this will be 6 trips in 3 weeks and almost 6 full days off work. My budget is going to take a huge dive the next few weeks to make up for lost time at work.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
The 'Healthy Living' series is something they do here in Alberta as well. I was also referred to them, and it became clear they had no interest in current research on blood glucose control, or anything I "found on the internet", and when I mentioned that following their advice on diet would actually worsen my condition and shorten my lifespan, I was 'snarked at'.

They felt my diet was 'extreme' in terms of carbs and fat intake, my exercise program was 'extreme' in terms of amount/duration, and that I was losing weight too fast to be healthy or keep it off.

Really motivational, those folks. I can replace them ALL with this single forum.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Or ... your Gov't???
Generally these things are free for us up here. They'll get paid whether she goes or not. It's probably not by patient but by day. I think her costs were lost pay at work.

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If you are controlling your condition, I never saw the reason to go to classes. You know what you need to do and they don't. Those places are almost always terrible. Do what you know you need to do and you'll be fine. We know better how to control our condition than they do. It is sad, really. They should be willing to take our advice to help everyone but they refuse to look at the information objectively. Especially research.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am in Alberta, as well, Beefy, and so glad I'm not the only one that thought this program was out in left field somewhere. I WON'T be going back. I find most doctors and health professionals in Alberta are not interested in what we "find on the internet" and they get quite nasty if you pursue the issue. I had one of my dad's doctors tell me that my questions were inappropriate because I found the information on the internet and it turns out that what I found on the internet was truly my dad's condition and he is being treated for it and is doing very well. It's very sad when we can't even give our own opinions regarding our health care and we are just expected to do as we are told and follow instructions like good little robots. Well, it's not happening with this robot!!

Thanks for your input everyone and especially to Beefy. I feel so much better knowing it wasn't just my opinion.

The 'Healthy Living' series is something they do here in Alberta as well. I was also referred to them, and it became clear they had no interest in current research on blood glucose control, or anything I "found on the internet", and when I mentioned that following their advice on diet would actually worsen my condition and shorten my lifespan, I was 'snarked at'.

They felt my diet was 'extreme' in terms of carbs and fat intake, my exercise program was 'extreme' in terms of amount/duration, and that I was losing weight too fast to be healthy or keep it off.

Really motivational, those folks. I can replace them ALL with this single forum.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Whenever I mention something to my doctor that I read on the internet my doctor gives me this wierd look. But after 4 years of doing fantastic, he now listens to what I have learned. I went to my dietician once. It cost me $60, my insurance didn't cover it and it was worthless. I never went back. I think the medical community wants to manage our disease for us. They don't want us to figure out the best way to do it ourselves. If I had followed their plan my HbA1c would still be high and I would have gained, not lost weight. Seeing what works for others is what has helped me best. No doctor or Dietician ever told me about Eating to your meter. That is the single thing that has lowered my bgs to almost normal. Today an hour after lunch I was 83, perfectly normal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm another Albertan, and my pcn nurse was asking me this week if I wanted a referral for a dietician. Sounds like I may be in for some 'fun'. It really doesn't help if they guilt trip you and not something I'd put up with. So far all of the medical people I've dealt with have been excellent and supportive.

I am in Alberta, as well, Beefy, and so glad I'm not the only one that thought this program was out in left field somewhere. I WON'T be going back. I find most doctors and health professionals in Alberta are not interested in what we "find on the internet" and they get quite nasty if you pursue the issue. I had one of my dad's doctors tell me that my questions were inappropriate because I found the information on the internet and it turns out that what I found on the internet was truly my dad's condition and he is being treated for it and is doing very well. It's very sad when we can't even give our own opinions regarding our health care and we are just expected to do as we are told and follow instructions like good little robots. Well, it's not happening with this robot!!

Thanks for your input everyone and especially to Beefy. I feel so much better knowing it wasn't just my opinion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts