The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've not been diagnosed with diabetes but it runs in my family. My fasting glucose is usually 97-99 but has been at 123 once and yesterday I checked my glucose less than an hour after a meal and it was at 170. Should I be worried? I've also had a reading of 130 two hours after a carb meal with an energy drink containing sugars. I think it had 25 gram carbs and 24.5 were converted to sugars.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello sah. I think you're running high enough to see a doctor and be tested. Non-diabetics don't bump up to 170 after meals, regardless of the amount of carbs they eat. Getting a diagnosis is much better than guessing, but not knowing.

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
Yep. The best thing would be to see a doctor & get an oral glucose tolerance test done. The 170 is indeed high for a non-diabetic.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Usually the fasting bgs are the last to go. As said very few non diabetics will spike to 170 so you do need to see a doctor and have him run some tests.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response guys.

Thanks for responding.

My latest readings just under an hour after eating was 222,229 and 222 again. 10 minutes later it was 214 and two hours after it stayed at 216 on two readings. Then it started dropping down a while after to 190, then 167 two and half after meal and now three afters the meal it's at 155. My meal was chips, curry sauce and a sausage from the chip shop. It wasn't a huge meal at all. These are in the diabetic range. This is the first time that i've had readings this high. My fasting glucose this morning was 88.

The doctors always refuse to do any further tests on me. My numbers have been only getting this high tonight. How could I become diabetic overnight?

The other day my fasting glucose was 9.3 and then 5-10 ten minutes later I drank 75 grams of pure glucose powder mixed with water and my readings were: 191 and 186 - 30 mins drinking the glucose. 1 after the drink it was 175, 204 and 178. I thought the 204 reading was an error because I took those last three readings one after another and 2 hours after the meal the readings were 105, 106 and then a few minutes later 68,64.

I don't understand. The glucose test wasn't too bad; below 200 half hour and one hour after. And after two hours the readings were well under 140 but after that meal I had today they stayed in the 216 range two hours after and well above 140 even three hours after that meal. It was quite a small meal.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Sometimes the size of the meal has nothing to do with it. It has everything to do with the amount of carbs/sugar/protein/fat that meal had. The chips obviously have lots of carbs, the sausage of course protein and fat, and the curry sauce may have contained a good amount of sugar. Sometimes when you think you are not eating something that isn't really bad, it can be loaded with unwanted levels of forbidden things. I myself would push for testing since your numbers are in line with being diabetic. Also, what kind of stress or activity did you have on the day you ate this meal that kept you high? So many things can factor in with high blood glucose. However, the numbers are indicative of a visit to the doctor and a push for testing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts