The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings:

My wife went to see her ophthalmologist today. He confirmed her suspicions. She has a cataract on her right eye. Unfortunately, although he can do the surgery, we simply won’t be in Canada long enough. We are only in Halifax, Nova Scotia until August 14 and then we go to Toronto, Ontario for two weeks. On August 28, we will return to the Middle East. The next available time he could do the surgery would be next summer during our next visit to Canada but this is simply too long to wait. My wife’s doctor recommends that she gets the cataract removed while we are overseas. He feels that my wife shouldn’t endure her visual discomfort any longer than necessary. While we are Saudi Arabia, we would like to get this surgery done but I don’t know even how to start the process of finding the right doctor. Five years ago, on the same eye, my wife had a vitrectomy. Her doctor in Halifax advices that the doctor who performs the cataract surgery should be aware of the vitrectomy so that he can take extra care during the cataract removal. It seems to me that my wife needs a very competent doctor for this operation. If the cataract surgery can be done in Saudi Arabia by a very competent doctor that is fine with us. However, if this very competent doctor in Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, India, Thailand and so on this is fine with us also. We simply want the best doctor possible to do this surgery on my wife and we are willing to travel and pay to have it done correctly. I think that this process is called medical tourism but whatever it is called is fine with us. Any advice on finding the best doctor possible to do this surgery while we are in the kingdom of Saudi Arabia, in the middle east, would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Surgery

Greetings:

My wife went to see her ophthalmologist today. He confirmed her suspicions. She has a cataract on her right eye. Unfortunately, although he can do the surgery, we simply won’t be in Canada long enough. We are only in Halifax, Nova Scotia until August 14 and then we go to Toronto, Ontario for two weeks. On August 28, we will return to the Middle East. The next available time he could do the surgery would be next summer during our next visit to Canada but this is simply too long to wait. My wife’s doctor recommends that she gets the cataract removed while we are overseas. He feels that my wife shouldn’t endure her visual discomfort any longer than necessary. While we are Saudi Arabia, we would like to get this surgery done but I don’t know even how to start the process of finding the right doctor. Five years ago, on the same eye, my wife had a vitrectomy. Her doctor in Halifax advices that the doctor who performs the cataract surgery should be aware of the vitrectomy so that he can take extra care during the cataract removal. It seems to me that my wife needs a very competent doctor for this operation. If the cataract surgery can be done in Saudi Arabia by a very competent doctor that is fine with us. However, if this very competent doctor in Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, India, Thailand and so on this is fine with us also. We simply want the best doctor possible to do this surgery on my wife and we are willing to travel and pay to have it done correctly. I think that this process is called medical tourism but whatever it is called is fine with us. Any advice on finding the best doctor possible to do this surgery while we are in the kingdom of Saudi Arabia, in the middle east, would be greatly appreciated.
Hi and welcome to the site:D.
Unless there is some information missing in your post, that kind of operation now days is done with laser surgery. In most all cases it is a simple procedure that is done within 15 minutes or so and is considered as "same day surgery."
There should be good qualified doctors in your home country for this and it eliminates the travel and travel expense in going elsewhere.
Wherever you decide to have it done it would be a good idea to have a copy of your wife's medical records with you.

Good luck,

Gene...

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Laser surgery use to be an outpatient type of thing, but many eye doctors do it right in their office now. Both of my inlaws had it done, the eye doc sent them home right after the surgery wearing disposable wrap-around sunglasses, and they never complained of any pain. Of course I'm in the U.S. so I have no idea how other countries do it.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Everyone I know that has had catarack surgery in the US it is done in the office and they resume normal activities within a few days. I would get it done in Canada if you have the time. Many of my friends who wore glasses for years no longer needed them after the procedure.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It's definitely same-day surgery, but I wouldn't swear it's by laser - different docs prob'ly use different techniques (Lasix is laser, I just don't know if this is). But I had both eyes done a year ago; the procedures took 30 minutes. My sis had one eye done two weeks ago & it took 20 minutes. Allow a few more minutes in recovery & away you go. I was in OR though, not the doc's office.

The reason vision returns so miraculously, even for people who've had poor vision for many years, is that the old lens with the cataract growing on it, is replaced with a new lens (intraocular lens) made of silicon or acrylic and the new lens is made to the patient's own refraction prescription. Kinda like having permanently implanted contact lenses. ;) It might be necessary to take a tiny suture if needed in the lens capsule - just to make sure the new lens can't slip out, but normally even that isn't needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts