The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son asked him for a ride to work today (there's a snowstorm here) so I drove him in my trusty, rusty, Toyota Tercel 4WD wagon...

Just for kicks, here she is for y'all to see:

My family calls this "The Yeti" because it's a White "Snow Beast", rofl.

It's rusty, old (1983) and has 456,000 on the odometer, but runs like a champ, so I'm just never going to get rid of it until it finally DIES. I'm not too proud that I can't drive a beater, LOL.

AND on days like this it's amazing because I put 'er into 4WD and it becomes a little snow-plow.

If the snow is really deep I drive my truck:

But the tercel is WAAAAY cheaper to drive. I get about 35mpg combined highway/city driving in that little beast :)

And it's dirt-cheap to insure.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
My summer beater is here, the blue tercel on the right:

That's a 1991 Toyota Tercel with a perfect exterior painted in Toyota "Speedway Blue". It's been modified with upgraded wheels, suspension, seats from a Toyota Paseo (much sportier and give me more headroom) and a 4E-FTE engine from a Toyota Starlet GT Turbo. It's running 70% more horsepower than original, and goes like stink :peace:

The light green tercel beside it was mine also, but I sold it. For those wondering, I've owned 7 Tercels over the past few decades, and still own three.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I love Toyotas. You can drive them until they literally fall apart. I had a Tercel that was 10 years old when I traed it in and it still looked new. I have a Corolla right now and am currently test driving the RAV4.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I agree with you Pam. A few years ago my hubby and I had a Toyota Camry that gave us close to 40 mpg and that was also combined city/highway miles. We had both front fender replaced when they rusted off and literally drove it way over 350,000 miles until it died. We have never had such a good car since then :(

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My favorite too . . . I only ever had one and it was a 1986 Tercel wagon. 4WD & 5-speed stick - I went EVERYwhere in that little puddlejumper.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Beefy, that car looks great, even new. If it ever does die, just convert it into a lawn ornament to remind you of all the good memories.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just went 4-wheel driving in it, LOL. Took my boys to see 'Source Code' at the theater, and it's still snowing. It's been snowing about 24 straight hours now, so it's pretty thick on the ground.

After the movie we went bombing down side roads, zipping through alleys, crashing through drifts, stopped to push couple stuck people out and LAUGHED as we LITERALLY drove circles around some lady in a BMW X5 (sport-utility) that I think still has summer tires on and looked confused as to why her vehicle wouldn't plow through the stuff, lol.

Gosh I do love this little tercel, lol. We currently own 5 old toyotas ... 3 tercels, one corolla and one old Tacoma. The corolla has 285K on it, the truck 387K...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts