The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day I was at the diabetes information centre at the general hospital for a checkup/review. Long story short, they gave me these new 4mm ultra thin needles to take my insulin shots with instead of the 6mm which I was currently taking. They claimed that 6mm was much too long for me.

So the next day I decide to use the 4mm for the first time, but when I gave the injection in my stomach it hurt more than usual and then right as the needle entered my stomach i noticed a big lump that developed at the spot. At first I thought it may have been because I give too many injections at that spot, but that doesn't seem likely as I do spread my shots around 8 different spots on my body. The lump remained there for about 30 minutes and then gradually got smaller, but a mark still remains there today. Then for lunch I take another injection with the 4mm needle at a different spot, this time it didn't hurt as much as the last time, but still a lump appeared right as I injected the needle.

After that I decided to switch back to the 6mm for dinner, and when I did everything was fine. So I was wondering what this could be. Could it be because of the new 4mm needle?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Did you notice any difference in how the insulin was working? Might have injected in the skin layer and not the fat layer..that will leave a bump sometimes..but usually if that happens it tends to burn and the absorption is off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you notice any difference in how the insulin was working? Might have injected in the skin layer and not the fat layer..that will leave a bump sometimes..but usually if that happens it tends to burn and the absorption is off.
Actually I did notice that the dial was not going down as easy as it should have, i needed to push it harder. So would this mean that 4mm is not long enough to go through the fat layer?

·
Registered
298 Posts
DiabeticWerewolf said:
Actually I did notice that the dial was not going down as easy as it should have, i needed to push it harder. So would this mean that 4mm is not long enough to go through the fat layer?
That's what I think is happening. I've had this happen a couple of times when I didn't get the needle in all the way.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
That sounds most likely. When I was using regular injections I used the 6..I found the other one was too short for me.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I would never use anything shorter than a 6 mm needle. A 4 mm needle mau be best for a child or somepne who is very slender and has verl little fatty tissue.

·
Registered
221 Posts
4 mm is for kids mostly, 6mm is more reliable and I hope you r pinching the site and injecting in to it. It pains otherwise for me...Gudluck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts