The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ColaJim,

Reading the Merck, 16th edition, pp 2118-2119:

"Acetominophen is not a "harmles" alternative to aspirin. Its toxicity has been well documented in the4 British literature since 1960."

Four stages of poisoning are described, starting without symptoms from the first few hours to 5 days. The result can be fatal.

BUT the toxic doses are described as 10gm (NOT mg) in the adult,

Hope that clears things a bit.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Ok, that's good because I use up to 3 grams a day when in absolute pain in vicodin.

But my remarks were meant for extended use over a life time.

And as stated by Jenny Ruhl:

"This means that you are twice as likely to end up on dialysis if you take between 1000 and 4999 Tylenol or acetaminophen pills during your entire lifetime!. That's slightly over ten bottles of pills. Over your lifetime!"

Hi ColaJim,

Reading the Merck, 16th edition, pp 2118-2119:

"Acetominophen is not a "harmles" alternative to aspirin. Its toxicity has been well documented in the4 British literature since 1960."

Four stages of poisoning are described, starting without symptoms from the first few hours to 5 days. The result can be fatal.

BUT the toxic doses are described as 10gm (NOT mg) in the adult,

Hope that clears things a bit.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think that the accumulation of any drug stays in the body over a lifetime;
unless kidneys and liver are just not working, in which case it does not take
years to put an end to their function.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I don't think that the accumulation of any drug stays in the body over a lifetime;
unless kidneys and liver are just not working, in which case it does not take
years to put an end to their function.
Whatever, let's end this now, I am not an expert on the subject and you are not either.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I'll just throw my 2c in here:

Note: Although I am NOT an expert or a licensed medical doctor, I started my education planning to be a pediatric cardiologist before switching career paths. I also spent nearly 6 years working in the pre-hospital care (paramedic) profession and did several emergency room rotations and advanced training in several other disciplines. As such I studied a great deal about anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, etc., to prepare for those careers. Although I left the medical profession nearly 20 years ago, I still consider myself quite well-informed on this subject.

Based on all my reading and everything I've personally seen, I'm certain that acetaminophen (sold under the brand name Tylenol, as well as other brands and generics) can absolutely harm kidney function, both in short-term overdose situations, and in long-term high-dosage use.

I saw numerous instances of teens OD'ing on acetaminophen, which if absorbed into the bloodstream is considerably more dangerous than narcotic OD's. Many people only crying out for help, never intending to actually commit suicide, have passed away due to kidney failure from something almost everyone has in their bathroom.

Almost all independent research shows long-term use at maximum dosage of acetaminophen can impair kidney function. (Although the same can be said of most NSAID's, I think more research has been done on acetaminophen due to it's popularity.)

It's even worse for people who already have impaired renal function. Unfortunately, most people don't know if they have impaired renal function. (Just like a huge percentage of diabetics are undiagnosed.)

For me, I take acetaminophen at a maximum dose if I have a reason too, but usually no more than 2 dosages in a day, and never for more than 2 days consecutively. It's a rare month I ever take it, though - but if I do, I find adding caffeine with the dosage improves the response to the medication (YMMV). I've never understood why, but for me the combination of acetaminophen and caffeine is much more powerful in relieving pain than acetaminophen alone. I believe Excedrin is still sold in this formulation.

When my spinal condition is really ugly and I need something for pain, I take opioid analgesics. (I already take a daily prescription NSAID for my osteoarthritis, I don't need more NSAIDs in my system.) And yes, I know opioids are habit-forming... I take maybe two dosages a MONTH because of this. I stick with the Vicodin and/or Tramadol that I'm prescribed, refusing to go the route of Oxycodone or something similar. I'd rather be in pain than in a fog.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the review Beefy. I am in day 7 of slowly improving back muscle pain, and have only taken a 500mg Tylenol yesterday, and two 350s today. I certainly would prefer opioids if i could get them.

Scary stuff indeed -- you'd think the FDA would have banned this drug when there are so many others that have narrow therapeutic index for example and are much more dangerous.

tx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts