The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a harrowing 2 days that have wreacked havoc on my bg's. I'd been keeping them at below 110 for about four days when I witnessed my neighbor's two vicious dogs pounce on this stray kitten and within 2 seconds, that cat had shot to the top of a nearly 200-ft tree, balancing on a flimsy twig with no leaves and just exposed to the sky and swaying back and forth in the wind - all this while literally holding on for dear life with his two front paws.

Looooooong story short, emergency services in Philadelphia come with a LOT of attitude but no actual help, so the SPCA, Animal Control, 911, couldn't be bothered, and for 2 days straight this poor little terrified kitten balanced by just his two paws on this twig at least 6 or 7 stories high while I watched helplessly from my apartment window. I didn't sleep for two nights just watching him out there with a spotlight on him and I was so upset I didn't eat meals for two days, just grabbing a cheese stick or a slim jim here and there - which, combined with all the stress, threw my then good numbers out of wack.

My apt manager convinced a relative of hers who works for the fire department to risk his job and his life after hours and he snuck a fire truck with a huge ladder over to our place and he was able to get up there in a bucket lift and grab the poor thing down in the pouring rain.

Well, here he is! He's such a survivor I wanted to give him a great name, but I'm stuck. I've thought of 'Treehugger', 'Raindancer' and even 'Sugar Pie' to commemorate my bg spike!

Does anyone have any fitting 'miracle' type name ideas? He's got a wonderful personality and very playful too! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
We have a white one who is very, VERY naughty, named Ulysses. We love him to bits. ... in case yours would like to be a namesake, he is welcome to it! And this guy has certainly had an adventure ...

He needs an epic name -- he flew away from danger -- Pegasus, Mercury ... something expansive!

I love cats. I would have been in shreds over this darling baby. Be sure to spoil him rotten and tell him lies (as my husband says about our kids).

·
Registered
259 Posts
Comet, Twiggy, Hercules, Einstein, Ludwig, Leroy, Beechnut, Titus, Henry, I am FULL of names....I love cats

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Comet, Twiggy, Hercules, Einstein, Ludwig, Leroy, Beechnut, Titus, Henry, I am FULL of names....I love cats
Twiggy??? Oh man, that would be cute but cruel considering he was balancing on a twig for nearly 2 days straight in the pouring rain! But I like it - Twiggy it is!! :p

·
Registered
259 Posts
Twiggy??? Oh man, that would be cute but cruel considering he was balancing on a twig for nearly 2 days straight in the pouring rain! But I like it - Twiggy it is!! :p
Make sure and keep us updated on the miracle kitty.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Make sure and keep us updated on the miracle kitty.

Hi Judith,

Twiggy is doing great! He is an unbelievably brave kitten. Not only did he survive swinging on a twig in heavy rain for two days, but this little six-month old managed to stare down my murderous bully cat named 'The Scooch' - that's how scary he is, he has to have a 'The' in front of his name! What's sad though is it does seem he had to have been someone's pet because he's very tame and affectionate and house-trained, so someone might be missing him now...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
'The Scooch's real name is Scoochamenz, which means 'pain in the a$$' in Italian, but we call him Scooch or when he's really being mean - 'Furrocious'. :eek:
OH MY! I am glad I do not have any bullies -- I rescued 3 at once, 2 were adults, to keep my elderly Burmese (who is TINY) company. It worked. I have no idea how.

I DO have an outdoor cat, Bruiser, who is enormous, huge paws, all muscle. He's like a bulldog morphed into a cat! He protects er, us, er the food source, er us, quite effectively. :D Sweet cat, though occasionally he gets overstimulated and bites or swipes me.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OH MY! I am glad I do not have any bullies -- I rescued 3 at once, 2 were adults, to keep my elderly Burmese (who is TINY) company. It worked. I have no idea how.

I DO have an outdoor cat, Bruiser, who is enormous, huge paws, all muscle. He's like a bulldog morphed into a cat! He protects er, us, er the food source, er us, quite effectively. :D Sweet cat, though occasionally he gets overstimulated and bites or swipes me.
The Scooch is exactly like your Bruiser, although mine is a bonafide murderer. He is extremely possessive of me and generally hates any cat that comes near me. I was catsitting for a friend and Scooch literally disemboweled the cat, then he went and ate some catnip like nothing happened. But that cat was so timid and terrified of him, he took advantage. Twiggy is tiny but fearless - the Scooch is growling and hissing some, but has now met his match! :p

G

·
I like cats when they're inside, maintained, and friendly... they are such a nuisanse when they are left out. The amount of times I've been woken up by fighting cats! I also hate seeing cats killing birds. I had a cat years back where he had killed a bird by the front door and left it there half eaten with feathers everywhere... I punished him by not giving him dinner... he was such a pig anyhow... constantly wanting food and that's the only time he showed any affection. I found out he was also eating the next door neighbours kittens food... she came to complain to me. He also had another bad habit of dropping nasty smells in the house that took your breath away, regardless of what we fed him. In the end, he got taken to the vet and put down... couldn't find another home for him. I'm a bird lover, so I used to actually get teary everytime I saw a poor bird ripped to shreds. It used to make me angry when I saw neighbours cats running with birds hanging out of their mouths. They can be real pests... they destroy our native wildlife! Of course if owners look after them, they can be good I know.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like cats when they're inside, maintained, and friendly... they are such a nuisanse when they are left out. The amount of times I've been woken up by fighting cats! I also hate seeing cats killing birds. I had a cat years back where he had killed a bird by the front door and left it there half eaten with feathers everywhere... I punished him by not giving him dinner... he was such a pig anyhow... constantly wanting food and that's the only time he showed any affection. I found out he was also eating the next door neighbours kittens food... she came to complain to me. In the end, he got taken to the vet and put down... couldn't find another home for him. I'm a bird lover, so I used to actually get teary everytime I saw a poor bird ripped to shreds. It used to make me angry when I saw neighbours cats running with birds hanging out of their mouths. They can be real pests... they destroy our native wildlife! Of course if owners look after them, they can be good I know.
I seriously did not need to hear that viciousness. :mad:

G

·
I seriously did not need to hear that viciousness. :mad:
sorry Rosie... I didn't mean to offend anyone... just sharing my experience. I do like cats when they're behaving (I've obviously had some bad experience). In fact I used to really love my Nans cat.... so I'm just saying they do have a down side. I know there are good homes for cats... I'm sure you're one of those people that really looks after them. I just get a bit irritated with people who don't look after their cats and I've got cats around my property misbehaving. I'd say the same if it was a dog being annoying... or anything else for that matter.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sorry Rosie... I didn't mean to offend anyone... just sharing my experience. I do like cats when they're behaving (I've obviously had some bad experience). In fact I used to really love my Nans cat.... so I'm just saying they do have a down side. I know there are good homes for cats... I'm sure you're one of those people that really looks after them. I just get a bit irritated with people who don't look after their cats and I've got cats around my property misbehaving. I'd say the same if it was a dog being annoying... or anything else for that matter.
sorry back, onlymep :) I get what you mean, believe me - I despise people who abandon animals and expect others to take care of them - or worse, expect the animal to just know how to survive on its own (a total myth). Obviously, this little kitty I rescued was the victim of someone who didn't care enough about him to give him a good home and look after him. I'd seen him for weeks as a stray running around our complex and I tried to capture him.

Cats are very solitary creatures - not for everyone. They're finicky and snooty and rule the house without every contributing a penny to the rent - total divas! But I wouldn't have 'em any other way.:D

·
Registered
259 Posts
I am so glad Twiggy is adjusting. The cat I use as my profile picture is our cat Cookie, whom I rescued out of a guys engine AFTER he had been driving around. He heard it screaming its little 11 oz. head off but just figured it would eventually shut up when it fell out. :eek: She was wedged between the fire wall and the battery and it took my fat hands a while to get her. :rant: Cookie is now 7 years old and going strong. My other cat is Mini, she is going on 15 years old and declining rapidly. Since I could never have kids, I treat my animals as my kids. They are all VERY VERY VERY spoiled.

G

·
sorry back, onlymep :) I get what you mean, believe me - I despise people who abandon animals and expect others to take care of them - or worse, expect the animal to just know how to survive on its own (a total myth). Obviously, this little kitty I rescued was the victim of someone who didn't care enough about him to give him a good home and look after him. I'd seen him for weeks as a stray running around our complex and I tried to capture him.

Cats are very solitary creatures - not for everyone. They're finicky and snooty and rule the house without every contributing a penny to the rent - total divas! But I wouldn't have 'em any other way.:D
It's a sad reality that we have a lot of people in our neighbourhoods that just don't look after their animals. The cat I mentioned, his name was 'soxy' as he was black with white paws... and we couldn't tame him at all and he had some real nasty habits... we couldn't get anyone to take him when we had to move (couldn't take him with us). He was probably the worst cat I've ever had... I'm not kidding, he used to jump on our guests laps too and grab food out of their hands and even their mouths... he was so naughty and we tried to teach him... he would just ignore us. I was constantly having to get him off me when I was eating.... he wouldn't let me sit down. He was just always wanting to eat... he wasn't even fat which was weird after all he was eating. If we put him outside during the day, he'd kill the birds and eat the food for the kitten next door all the time (I had to apologise a few times actually... in the end neighbour gave up and started feeding him too... I told her not to).
I had a 12 year old budgie who was just a gorgeous lil fella and sadly he got eaten by a cat on my 21st birthday... I cried! I didn't even know the cat... I was so mad. The cat jumped up and knocked the cage over when budgie was place high for some sunshine.... he knocked cage upside down and got the bird. :(
I also think 'twiggy' is a great name for your new kitten :)... such an ordeal to have been swinging from that tree all that time.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am so glad Twiggy is adjusting. The cat I use as my profile picture is our cat Cookie, whom I rescued out of a guys engine AFTER he had been driving around. He heard it screaming its little 11 oz. head off but just figured it would eventually shut up when it fell out. :eek: She was wedged between the fire wall and the battery and it took my fat hands a while to get her. :rant: Cookie is now 7 years old and going strong. My other cat is Mini, she is going on 15 years old and declining rapidly. Since I could never have kids, I treat my animals as my kids. They are all VERY VERY VERY spoiled.
Can you believe some people? How could any human look at an innocent animal and do such things? Like I said in my first post, the emergency services here were just horrible about this situation. Animal control didn't bother coming out until he'd been up there for close to 24 hours and when they did, they did nothing AND they simply just laughed at him being blown around in the wind and the rain up there. Thank goodness the firefighter who finally came out was a huge cat lover - he risked losing his job and his life to get him down in the middle of the night 200 ft in the sky. Here in Philly, we have a very bad dog-fighting problem (you can tell how seriously the city takes it, paying Michael Vick millions). My two now-deceased kitties - Catfish and Tigerlily - I rescued them the day they were born in an alley when their mother was decapitated while she was giving birth by dog-fighting pit bulls that got loose. They both lived to 9 and 14 years old. Thank goodness there are those of us who care enough to get involved.

Twiggy is now my 4th kitty and the 7th rescue I've done - they're all my children. He's a real inspiration - holding on like that for 2 days straight and then staring down The Scooch, he's really something!:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.