The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a giant pot of creamed chicken with loads of veggies, and I really like to pour it over a biscuit. Not having any biscuits on hand here is what I made and it was a nice compliment to the creamed chicken. I wanted a dense biscuit with crispy edges.

This can be cut down to a smaller portion but since I had so much creamed chicken I wanted to make enough to last me a while.

2 cups of almonds, ground to a flour
2 cups of colby jack cheese shreds
1/3 cup of ground flaxmeal
1/3 cup of corn bran
salt, 1 tsp Baking powder/soda

Turned on the food processor until all was well combined, then added 1 egg and enough heavy cream to make the dough loose and workable.

I patted this out onto a giant cookie sheet with parchment paper about a 1/4 thick, baked at 400 for 10 minutes. Removed it from the pan and parchment paper, sprinkled a small amount of parmesean cheese on top and put it directly on the oven rack for 5 more minutes. Good enough to eat alone, even better with the creamed chicken on top.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Sounds great but how many did it make and how many carbs? Would like to try it if it is safe for me.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As to how many it made, I made one big square out of it which was approx 12 x 14", so quite a bit.

Almonds from what I can see have 43 carbs per 2 cups and 17 net carbs per 2 cups. The Corn bran had 2g net carbs per 1/3 cup. The whole recipe had 19 net carbs. If you cut this into 3 x 3" squares you could get roughly 20 pieces which would be around 1g of net carbs.

Sounds great but how many did it make and how many carbs? Would like to try it if it is safe for me.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
MCS - Sorry for an ignorant question...however I've never used 'corn bran'. Is this an ingredient that I need to look for in a health food store? btw.....your biscuit recipe makes me hungry just reading it :)

Reactions: MCS

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought mine at Honeyville grains.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Corn Bran?

So far I've not found ANY corn product that didn't make my sugar spike. Is corn bran different?

Thanks,
Giaheather

I made a giant pot of creamed chicken with loads of veggies, and I really like to pour it over a biscuit. Not having any biscuits on hand here is what I made and it was a nice compliment to the creamed chicken. I wanted a dense biscuit with crispy edges.

This can be cut down to a smaller portion but since I had so much creamed chicken I wanted to make enough to last me a while.

2 cups of almonds, ground to a flour
2 cups of colby jack cheese shreds
1/3 cup of ground flaxmeal
1/3 cup of corn bran
salt, 1 tsp Baking powder/soda

Turned on the food processor until all was well combined, then added 1 egg and enough heavy cream to make the dough loose and workable.

I patted this out onto a giant cookie sheet with parchment paper about a 1/4 thick, baked at 400 for 10 minutes. Removed it from the pan and parchment paper, sprinkled a small amount of parmesean cheese on top and put it directly on the oven rack for 5 more minutes. Good enough to eat alone, even better with the creamed chicken on top.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So far I've not found ANY corn product that didn't make my sugar spike. Is corn bran different?

Thanks,
Giaheather
Corn Bran, wow haven't used this stuff for a while, is used mostly for flavor. It is really low net carbs, but packs a corn flavor.

Do you suppose I could use psyllium husk for the corn bran, since both are basically high fibre?
I think you can make these with out the corn bran, just add a little more flaxseed or almond flour.

·
Registered
204 Posts
i have these in the oven right now - no corn bran so i doubled the flax. i'm not sure if the consistency is right tho lol

·
Registered
204 Posts
this was great :) turned out fine with the no corn bran. this one is a keeper :) next time i might drop them on the baking sheet tho, sort of like dropped biscuits :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts