The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this yesterday:

I have a loaf of this almond bread in the oven, a recipe that foxl posted. This is the first time I have made this recipe, and tomorrow I plan to slice and toast it and try to make stuffing.

I'm curious to know if foxl ever tried making stuffing with it, she said she might and mentioned she would add thyme, rosemary and sage. Unfortunately, I don't have thyme or rosemary. Think I'll add sage flavored sausage, onions and celery cooked in butter, chicken broth and sage.
It tasted ok, but not that much like stuffing. If anyone has a good low carb stuffing recipe they would be willing to share, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looks like I'm talking to myself here, but I think it is the grainy texture of the almond flour that makes it not so stuffing-like. I just found this recipe online. Cabbage instead of bread might sound a little weird as an ingredient in stuffing, but at least it won't be grainy. Worth a try.

1 pound sausage -- seasoned
2 large onions -- finely chopped
3 stalks celery -- finely chopped (3 to 4)
2 tablespoons butter -- (2 to 4)
1 head cabbage -- finely chopped
15 ounces chicken broth -- canned
3 eggs -- beaten
Seasonings

How To Prepare: This has all the taste of real stuffing, without the bread. You won't miss the bread and can "stuff" yourself as much as you like.

Saute your onion and celery in the butter. Add sausage, brown, crumbling the sausage finely. Let the oils and butter brown on the bottom of the pan to get that great carbonation flavor. Add seasonings you like such as thyme, oregano, pepper, salt, to taste. My sausage was preseasoned, so I just added pepper. Add cabbage and continue cooking. Add chicken broth to moisten as dish starts to get dry. I ended up using a whole can. Cook until cabbage is cooked and tender. Put in a 3-4 qt baking dish and add the eggs. Bake in 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes. Actually we didn't have an oven when I made this and we cooked ours in the microwave for five minutes. You may need to adjust some things to get it the way you like dressing.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
This looks great, Gizmo. I like sausage, cabbage and onions in any combination, and mimicking stuffing would be a bonus!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Just a week or so ago I was moaning & groaning about missing stuffing, and I tried a batch of Beefy's pancakes (without cinnamon & sweetener) just to see if they would work. Texture was my biggest complaint too - it was more like cornbread stuffing, I guess, but the almond flour just doesn't do stuffing very well at all.

http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-forum-lounge/4227-whats-dinner-10.html#post54306

So, no, you aren't talking to yourself!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
My stuffing is quite simple and maybe not right for you, but here it is:
I use bacon, mushroom, 2 apples and minced meat + fresh herbs, usually parsley.
I just cut the apples, bacon and the mushroom in pieces, chop the parsley and blend it in the minced meat with a little salt and some pepper.
I fill it in the turkey, and when the turkey is ready, so is the stuffing.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Last Thanksgiving I tried to use a loaf of my almond bread to make stuffing. It tasted great as bread but when I added it into my stuffing it fell apart and was more like mush. I wasn't very happy. I think you would do better with toasted low carb bread in the stuffing.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By jove, I think I've got it. Found a pork rind stuffing recipe. Forget the cabbage, I'll be trying this one, but it will have to wait a while. Today's batch of dressing made a ton!

There are some other interesting sounding recipes on the webpage along with the stuffing, if you want to check them out.

By the way, thanks for all the input.

Rani's Pork Rind Stuffing
This looks and tastes like the 'real' stuffing!

1 3-4-ounce bag plain pork rinds, lightly crushed
1 egg, beaten
1/2 can chicken broth
1/2 onion, diced
2-3 stalks celery, diced
herbs to taste (suggestion: thyme and sage)
2-4 tablespoons butter
Cook the onions and celery in the butter until tender. Toss with the crushed pork rinds. Pour the beaten egg over the rinds and toss lightly. Add up to 1/2 can of broth until the mixture reaches the desired consistency. Bake as for regular stuffing, in a casserole.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Ahhh ... it has been so long since I ate stuffing, I do not miss it! Tho my FIL had a veg recipe for bread stuffing balls (no meat), so I ate those maybe 15 yr ago ... they were good too.

Hmmmm if anyone comes up with one, I'd make it!

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Gizmo, I don't know why I didn't think of this as I make a filling for green bell peppers, like I ate last night with pork rinds and it is wonderful. I'd just use them for the 'bread' and then use all the other ingredients you normally would use....that's how I make my filling for the bell peppers. Glad you found this....give us a holler when you try it! Maybe before T'giving?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tho my FIL had a veg recipe for bread stuffing balls (no meat), so I ate those maybe 15 yr ago ... they were good too.

The type of dressing I actually like is the traditional, no-meat type, but I figure low carb will probably have to have sausage to help mask the grainy bread or cabbage or pork rinds.

Wish I could just sub rinds in my old recipe, but it calls for a can of cream of chicken soup and a box of Stove Top. But even though it has Stove Top in it, no one can tell. I would take it to holiday gatherings every Thanksgiving & Christmas, everyone loves it. It is the best dressing ever, but no way I can figure out how to make it low carb until Stove Top comes out with a low carb version. Yeah, right.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I'd just put plenty of vegetables in it, 'til it tastes right. I make cornbread dressing and use green bell peppers in it also. And, I always taste it to be sure I have enough salt and pepper in it. The pork rinds will be a bit salty, so remember that. I think you'll be surprised at how good it is. I was with my stuffing in the bell peppers!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If anyone attempts pork rind stuffing, even though the recipes say to slightly crush the rinds, my advice is to put them through a food processor. I read where one person said not to try making stuffing with rinds because the rinds end up being a glutinous mass. I know I threw a handful of rinds into chili one day, and glutinous masses (once they had absorbed liquid) is a good description. However, I also know that isn't the case after they are ground and used in cooking. So far I have used them in meatloaf, meatballs, stuffed peppers, stewed tomatoes and hamburger buns with good results. I do think a coffee grinder would grind them too fine.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I plan to try the pork rind stuffing probably Sunday or Monday, I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Ahhh ... it has been so long since I ate stuffing, I do not miss it! Tho my FIL had a veg recipe for bread stuffing balls (no meat), so I ate those maybe 15 yr ago ... they were good too.

There are lots of stuffing ball recipes online. If you tell me what veggies were in what your FIL made, maybe I can find one similar. Do you know whether they were baked or fried? Seems like I read somewhere on the forum that you are a vegetarian. If so, I guess you wouldn't want to substitute pork rinds for the bread. Do you have a substitute in mind?

I am always looking for new side dishes, so I'd like to try stuffing balls and serve them whenever, not just holidays. We don't think of dressing as for holidays only. Before D I would make it as often as any other side dish, love the stuff.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am bumping this up in the hope that foxl will see it and read the post above this one.

:bump::bump::bump:

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
He used Pepperidge Farms stuffing with apples, raisins, celery, and onion. He added butter and turkey broth. And he baked them.

I think Joy of Cooking's recipe, not sure.

Not a thing I could eat, now. Well, maybe the celery and onion ... ?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He used Pepperidge Farms stuffing with apples, raisins, celery, and onion. He added butter and turkey broth. And he baked them.
Wowza!!! That sounds awesome. I'll start to work right away converting it to low carb, as soon as I solve the theory of relativity. :frusty: . . . :D

After I find a good stuffing recipe, think I'll try baking it in my muffin top pan and hope it turns out crispy enough to hold in the hand. Stuffing oopsies instead of stuffing balls. I like it.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I made the pork rind stuffing. It looks, smells and tastes like stuffing, and when I spooned it out, it came out by the spoonful, not in crumbles. It's not the greatest stuffing in the world, but not bad. But that might be because I'm spoiled when it comes to dressing 'cause I have that awesome dressing recipe that I can't use any more. But the pork rind dressing was a whole lot better than stuffing made with almond bread. Also, I think this probably wasn't great because I don't know that much about spices, so probably didn't know how to do it up right, but it's a good basic recipe to work with, and if anyone does turn it into an awesome dressing, I'm sure lots of us would like to have the recipe. At least it doesnt make a ton, so it's a good recipe to experiment with.

The recipe, Rani's Pork Rind Stuffing wasn't all that specific on ingredients. I used a 3.75 oz. pkg. pork rinds (coarsely ground), 2 eggs instead of 1, and 3/4 cup chicken broth, 4 tablespoons butter, 2 teaspoons dried parsley, 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme, and 1 tablespoon ground sage. I like lots of sage, you might want to use less. I put it in a 7" oiled round pan 'cause there wasn't a lot there, and baked 350 degrees for 30 min.

I also oiled a well in my muffin top pan, filled it with dressing as an experiment. It didn't hold together well enough to hold in my hand, so I'll stick with dressing in a pan.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My "from scratch" dressing just calls for a tsp. of poultry seasoning, so you could try that & just add extra sage. My recipe uses 12 cups of bread cubes, so perhaps only ¼ to ½ tsp. for your smaller recipe, eh?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My "from scratch" dressing just calls for a tsp. of poultry seasoning, so you could try that & just add extra sage. My recipe uses 12 cups of bread cubes, so perhaps only ¼ to ½ tsp. for your smaller recipe, eh?
The amount of sage was fine for my taste, I like lots of it, but I know many people would like less. The sage wasn't the problem. The problem was it was ok, not spectacular, but my expectations may be too high. I'll keep messing with the recipe, if I ever come up with something great, I'll post it.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Gizmo, did the recipe have any veggies in it? Onion, celery, carrot, anything? Also, I don't know if you were purposefully going with no meat, but we always make a savory sage sausage stuffing for Thanksgiving. Perhaps I will try this recipe with the pork rinds rather than pepperidge farms stuffing croutons. I'm not a huge stuffing lover, but everyone in the family loves it, and I bet it would taste really awesome with some turkey gravy on it! I usually just eat a little scoop and that's enough for me! I've been using the spaghetti squash so much and have gotten so used to it, I prefer it now over rice, pasta, or potatoes. Don't miss them at all! Let us know if you decide to "jazz it up" and what you use to do so. It does sound like a great basic recipe that can be tweaked anyway you like. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts