The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a cheese sauce recipe for some broccoli tonight. I've never successfully made cheese sauce... the only attempts I tried were... clumpy and gross, LOL.

I've found some on the 'web, but would prefer something tested and approved-of by people I trust!

Thanks for anything you can provide!

·
Registered
916 Posts
when I would make cheese sauce, I went to a lot trouble.
grated the best cheese's, slow melt in double boiler, spices, flour butter milk to make a roux.
then I went low carb, no flour or had the desire to fuss with it .

I just slowly melt fresh grated cheese maybe add some butter & cream. s&p. done lol.Or I just use the cheese between the layers broccoli, it melts it. thats just me , I am lazy. :redface:

I do still grate all my cheese, pre packaged cheese has potato & corn starch added.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hi Beefy, Atkins do a cheese sauce never tried it myself

1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 ounces grated cheddar cheese
2 ounces cream cheese
1/4 teaspoon paprika
Dash of Worcester sauce

Melt all of the above slowly in saucepan

Bon appetite

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
These suggestions are exactly how I do mine now - melted cheese & heavy cream. No thickening is necessary when using cream. Add a daub of butter to finish the sauce.

I've never used much except salt & white pepper, but these gals have tripped my trigger now, so I'll prob'ly be experimenting with a little wooster & other spices/herbs!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Shanny 1/2 teaspoon of hot English mustard is yummy in cheese sauce gives it a bite!!!

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds awesome, thanks all!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shanny 1/2 teaspoon of hot English mustard is yummy in cheese sauce gives it a bite!!!

So I looked at what muck had posted up above, and didn't measure anything (sort-of eyeballed it) but did the following...

Threw butter, cream cheese, whipping cream, old cheddar (crumbled into pieces) into a microwavable bowl, added a dash of mustard, worcestershire and a smidge of pepper. Then nuked it on medium and stirred it every 30 or 40 seconds until it was 'saucy'. It worked just fine, so THANKS!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts

Mustard is one of the few things that actually makes my mouth water . . . I don't slather it on everything, but I like a touch of it in many recipes. Seems like I go through a lot of dry mustard too. Even the bread dressing recipe I used to use, calls for mustard - that's prob'ly why was my favorite! lol! Thanks Muck! ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts