Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks,

I was doing some web surfing last night and came across a very interesting website called healingmatters that talks about curing type II diabetes. Associated with this website is a book called "Insulin: Our Silent Killer" written by Thomas Smith. I tried looking for a review on this book but had no luck. It's listed on Amazon but says that it is out of print - limited availability. I would like to know if anyone has read this book or knows anything about it and if so what your opinion is on this most interesting perspective.

Thank you kindly, Cain

·
Registered
119 Posts
Howdy folks,

I was doing some web surfing last night and came across a very interesting website called healingmatters that talks about curing type II diabetes. Associated with this website is a book called "Insulin: Our Silent Killer" written by Thomas Smith. I tried looking for a review on this book but had no luck. It's listed on Amazon but says that it is out of print - limited availability. I would like to know if anyone has read this book or knows anything about it and if so what your opinion is on this most interesting perspective.

Thank you kindly, Cain
I'm not familiar with the book. I did a google search for "Insulin: Our Silent Killer" and clicked on the link that turned up called "Dr. James Howenstine -- What is The Cause & Cure For Type 2 ..." This web page appears to endorse the contents of this book by Thomas Smith.

And while this is perhaps a "guilt by association" assumption I am making, considering the other books and topics that are being endorsed on this webpage include: "Why You Should Avoid Taking Vaccines", "Abortions Cause Breast Cancer", "Spychips", "The Fluoride Deception", a book about the dangers of genetically modified food, and "Death by Modern Medicine", I would guess the the book you asked about contains similar pseudoscientific nonsense and the typical conspiracy-theory mentality towards the scientific establishment.

Perhaps it a misinterpretation of the title on my part, but as far as Type 1 diabetes is concerned, it was a condition known about for thousands of years, which was inevitably fatal within about a year of disease onset. When insulin was discovered and developed for human use in the 1920s, diabetes no longer became a death sentence, but became a condition which could be managed.

In the almost 100 years since its discovery, insulin has been responsible for saving and extending the lives of millions of people. Diabetic research and treatment has evolved to the point where the biggest complaint many of us have is not being able to eat that second helping of ice cream, rather than complaining about amputations, dialysis, and blindness.

Has science yielded all the answers? No, of course not and science never claimed that it could. Have mistakes been made, due to error, incompotence, and greed that have resulted in the deaths and suffering of the victims? Of course they have, because at the heart of all this are people, and people are fallable.

If I had to gamble on a choice between my faith in science, in the scientific method, in controlled and blinded research studies, in the peer-review process, in the development of drugs or treatments based upon reproducible and repeatable measurements that comply with the known laws of the universe versus one guy who had high blood surgars, did something different, claimed he cured himself of diabetes and then wrote a book about it, promoted on the same website that endorses everything science is not, then I'd choose to gamble on science.

But everyone else is free to roll their own dice.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Cain said:
Howdy folks,

Thank you kindly, Cain
I too have not read the book. I tend to stay away from anything that says "cure". My husband is a T2 since Nov.30,2011. He ran between 300-500 blood sugar and had an A1C of 12.3. I found this forum rather quickly and put him on a Low Carb High Fat way of eating right away. Within 3 months his A1C was 5.7 and sugars in the normal range and he stopped taking all meds. Is he cured? No. He is controlled with diet. If I fed him a Mexican dinner complete with enchiladas, rice,beans, chips and salsa his sugar would fly out of the normal range. I have learned rather quickly that once you are full blown diabetic you will always be diabetic.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If I fed him a Mexican dinner complete with enchiladas, rice,beans, chips and salsa
Ah!!!! It's happened again!

Sorry, I keep reading these postings with incredible food descriptions in them. They all seem to be coming along while I"m having a particularly weak moment in dealing with diabetes.

As to what you said in the rest of your posting, to the best of my knowledge, we will indeed be diabetics for the rest of our life. But it sounds like from following the diet program he is on he has made excellent progress. What a credit to him for having the will-power to commit to making those kinds of difficult changes and then following through with them. And it's a credit to you as well for the support and assistance you have obviously given him.

I remember hearing some sappy expression many years ago and I don't recall where it was from. But it was something along the lines of: a joy shared is a joy doubled, but a burden shared is a burden halved.

I think there is a lot of truth to the sentiment. I've learned over the years how impossible life would be if it were not for the compassion of others.

I guess the only time that phrase doesn't seem to apply is when people win billion dollar MegaMillions lotteries.

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
Another good book on a similar line is 'Genocide' by Dr. James Carlson. The first 10 chapters of his book are available for free reading on his website. You could google him and follow the links.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I'm not familiar with the book. I did a google search for "Insulin: Our Silent Killer" and clicked on the link that turned up called "Dr. James Howenstine -- What is The Cause & Cure For Type 2 ..." This web page appears to endorse the contents of this book by Thomas Smith.

And while this is perhaps a "guilt by association" assumption I am making, considering the other books and topics that are being endorsed on this webpage include: "Why You Should Avoid Taking Vaccines", "Abortions Cause Breast Cancer", "Spychips", "The Fluoride Deception", a book about the dangers of genetically modified food, and "Death by Modern Medicine", I would guess the the book you asked about contains similar pseudoscientific nonsense and the typical conspiracy-theory mentality towards the scientific establishment.

Perhaps it a misinterpretation of the title on my part, but as far as Type 1 diabetes is concerned, it was a condition known about for thousands of years, which was inevitably fatal within about a year of disease onset. When insulin was discovered and developed for human use in the 1920s, diabetes no longer became a death sentence, but became a condition which could be managed.

In the almost 100 years since its discovery, insulin has been responsible for saving and extending the lives of millions of people. Diabetic research and treatment has evolved to the point where the biggest complaint many of us have is not being able to eat that second helping of ice cream, rather than complaining about amputations, dialysis, and blindness.

Has science yielded all the answers? No, of course not and science never claimed that it could. Have mistakes been made, due to error, incompotence, and greed that have resulted in the deaths and suffering of the victims? Of course they have, because at the heart of all this are people, and people are fallable.

If I had to gamble on a choice between my faith in science, in the scientific method, in controlled and blinded research studies, in the peer-review process, in the development of drugs or treatments based upon reproducible and repeatable measurements that comply with the known laws of the universe versus one guy who had high blood surgars, did something different, claimed he cured himself of diabetes and then wrote a book about it, promoted on the same website that endorses everything science is not, then I'd choose to gamble on science.

I now nothing about the book, either. But, to be fair, everything you've said above about T1 and insulin is completely irrelevant. It mentions "Type 2" right in the title of the book. T2s are the only ones who ever have (or "need ever have") elevated insulin levels. T1s only need to inject exogenous insulin to restore NORMAL levels of insulin, so no application here.

Having said that - and again without knowing anything about the book - I firmly believe from reading LOTS of REAL science that seeking to minimize INSULIN not just glucose IS the optimal way to address T2. So flamboyant language and accompanying pseudo-science on some website aside, that part is right on as far as I'm concerned.

Hyperinsluinemia is the real issue here. In the typical T2, it precedes elevated glucose by at least 5 or 10 years. Please note again that a typical T1 NEVER has it, so refrain from scrambling those eggs! (If they inject too much insulin, the resulting hypo would be the primary concern, not the extra insulin!)

So far, even diabetics who are considered completely "controlled" have only brought GLUCOSE down to acceptable levels but most likely continue to have abnormally high insulin (regardless of source) just like in those initial 5 or 10 years. Why would this second state be any different from the first? Why wouldn't the disease continue to "progress" just as it did during that first period? Why are so few people asking these questions?

This reminds me of Jon Stewart episode when he was outting a for-hire right wing propagandist. He had been involved in all kinds of lies and slanders, but the ringer for Jon and his audience (and even myself at that time) was a web site he put together about how saturated fat was actually good for you and you've been lied to. Ha ha ha the whole Stewart audience had a great yuk over that as the website was splashed on the screen.

Less than a year later, I realized that a bit of truth had come out of the mouth of a notorious liar. Whaddya know?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Hi policebox,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, that would be guilt by association and besides I have heard from many different credible sources (Mercola for one) that people should avoid vaccines like the plague, fluoride in tap water causes all kinds of health problems, GMO's are Frankenstein foods and absolutely must be avoided and the mainstream "health" industry should really be called the "sick" industry. Call the above "pseudo scientific nonsense" at your own peril.

Yes, insulin has been a god send for type 1 diabetics but for type II's it is often over prescribed by doctors because it's a quick fix for the patient (just take this and don't change your diet in any significant way), money in the pocket for the producer and the doctor and keeps the patient tied to the system.

Experts outside the mainstream all agree that "science" is not the answer to diabetes - proper wholesome food, exercise and lifestyle is and the sooner you can get off the meds the better.

All of the statements I made in this post can be backed up by the scientific method, in controlled and blinded research studies and in the peer-review process.

Yes, of course everyone is free to make their own choice and I choose nature, not science.

Still would like to hear from anyone who HAS read the book. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I too have not read the book. I tend to stay away from anything that says "cure". My husband is a T2 since Nov.30,2011. He ran between 300-500 blood sugar and had an A1C of 12.3. I found this forum rather quickly and put him on a Low Carb High Fat way of eating right away. Within 3 months his A1C was 5.7 and sugars in the normal range and he stopped taking all meds. Is he cured? No. He is controlled with diet. If I fed him a Mexican dinner complete with enchiladas, rice,beans, chips and salsa his sugar would fly out of the normal range. I have learned rather quickly that once you are full blown diabetic you will always be diabetic.
Hi Donella,

Thanks for your reply. It depends on how one defines "diabetes cure". I totally agree with you that once a person is full blown diabetic she will always be diabetic but assuming the damage to the body is not too severe it is possible to reverse the condition, using diet, back to a normal metabolism where one's blood sugar is controlled without any medication. As long as this new dietary regimen is maintained then the patient would be effectively "cured" of diabetes. :brushteeth:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another good book on a similar line is 'Genocide' by Dr. James Carlson. The first 10 chapters of his book are available for free reading on his website. You could google him and follow the links.
Hi skb,

Thanks for the tip. I had not heard about this guy or his book. I just looked quickly at his website and it looks VERY interesting!!

And congratulations on controlling your diabetes with diet and exercise alone. If you are going to do something you may as well do it right!

Best wishes, Cain :wave:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I now nothing about the book, either. But, to be fair, everything you've said above about T1 and insulin is completely irrelevant. It mentions "Type 2" right in the title of the book. T2s are the only ones who ever have (or "need ever have") elevated insulin levels. T1s only need to inject exogenous insulin to restore NORMAL levels of insulin, so no application here.

Having said that - and again without knowing anything about the book - I firmly believe from reading LOTS of REAL science that seeking to minimize INSULIN not just glucose IS the optimal way to address T2. So flamboyant language and accompanying pseudo-science on some website aside, that part is right on as far as I'm concerned.

Hyperinsluinemia is the real issue here. In the typical T2, it precedes elevated glucose by at least 5 or 10 years. Please note again that a typical T1 NEVER has it, so refrain from scrambling those eggs! (If they inject too much insulin, the resulting hypo would be the primary concern, not the extra insulin!)

So far, even diabetics who are considered completely "controlled" have only brought GLUCOSE down to acceptable levels but most likely continue to have abnormally high insulin (regardless of source) just like in those initial 5 or 10 years. Why would this second state be any different from the first? Why wouldn't the disease continue to "progress" just as it did during that first period? Why are so few people asking these questions?

This reminds me of Jon Stewart episode when he was outting a for-hire right wing propagandist. He had been involved in all kinds of lies and slanders, but the ringer for Jon and his audience (and even myself at that time) was a web site he put together about how saturated fat was actually good for you and you've been lied to. Ha ha ha the whole Stewart audience had a great yuk over that as the website was splashed on the screen.

Less than a year later, I realized that a bit of truth had come out of the mouth of a notorious liar. Whaddya know?
Hi smorgan,

I completely agree with everything you said except I wasn't able to follow your last two paragraphs. From what I've read saturated fat is good for you and has been part of a smear campaign ever since the 1950's when agri business realized the profit potential of using vegetable oils in food stuffs. The resultant propaganda that still exists today is palm oils are bad and Crisco is good!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
You wouldn't be expected to understand the Jon Stewart part - he's an American comedian/satirist who targets politicians & their shenanigans.

Now that we're getting acquainted, Cain - would you please visit the Introductions board to start a new thread telling us more about yourself and how you manage your diabetes?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.