The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. While Diabetes runs all throughout my family, I don't have it, but have been told it's possible (a while back) that I could be hypoglycemic. I never really looked into it, I just dealt with the symptoms. I obviously haven't properly been diagnosed having hypoglycemia, but I am familiar with all of the symptoms and the correct levels to have. Unfortunately, I've been having many problems with my blood sugar for many years now, and my levels never seem to be within the normal range or stable for specific time frames of eating, so I think there's something there that isn't quite right.

Note: I do have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Fibromyalgia and issues with ovarian cysts.

I don't have health insurance and clinic doctors don't take me seriously. As long as I don't have high blood sugar and I'm not diabetic, I'm perfectly fine to them. But this is something that really affects me.

I've never had extremely high blood sugar. The highest I've ever been was 185mg/dl, which is something very rare for me. My blood sugar used to fall in the early 60s often, which I would help by taking glucose tablets or just eating regular foods. A few years later now, whenever I check my blood sugar, it tends to stay within the range of 80-100. That is both before AND after I eat. It makes me feel sick. It hardly ever rises above 100, but when it does, especially around/past 115, I feel not only sick, but MISERABLE. I get clammy, a horrible headache unlike any other, dizzy, nauseous, my ears ring. It lasts for hours and usually the only thing to make it stop is to sip cold water for a while and just wait it out. This happened to me tonight which brought me here to ask if someone knows what this is about.

I try to not eat a lot of or steer clear of the foods I know will mess it up if I'm having a bad day from the start with my blood sugar (starchy/white foods like potatoes, flour tortillas, white breads and rices, etc) but it seems like even other foods don't make me feel normal, either. Meat is ok but nothing else is. I will admit I don't have the perfect diet. I have a lot of stomach issues so I'm not able to eat all the foods I would like to. I've tried the diabetic diet to see if it would help, which it kind of did for a while, but I couldn't stick to it because of my stomach. :( Even then, I still had quite a bit of problems.

Here is a prime example of how it happens:
Tonight I happened to eat a baked potato for dinner, which I know isn't a good thing for sugar anyway, along with some salmon and a small amount of wild rice plus a sugary drink which I didn't drink too much of at the time. I felt so bad after eating the potato that I had to check to see what my blood sugar was. It said 148 which is high for what I'm used to, then within 5 minutes it fell down to 112 and stayed there. I continued to feel sick until 3 hours later. It was the worse within the second hour. This can happen to me even when I don't drink sugary drinks or eat potatoes.

I think my problem is that my blood sugar goes up and down far too quickly and that's what makes me feel so terrible.

So this leads me to my questions, What exactly would be causing this to happen EVERY time I eat and what can I do to fix it, even when I've tried a diabetic diet? What else could be wrong? It really wears me out and I feel like professionals never take me seriously so I can't get anywhere with this. Thanks for your time and any advice, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oops! Forgive me but since I can't edit my post, I also forgot to mention that when I eat sugar (such as a cookie or ice cream) it tends to go down rather than up. That's something I also find to be weird. :/

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to the forum. A lot of type 2's start out as hypoglcemics. The pattern tends to be when you eat carbs you spike very quickly and then your pancreas is forced to overproduce insulin and when it all kicks in you crash to the 50's or 60's. Of course then you eat carbs and start the cyle all over again. This is called insulin resistance. Most doctors don't understand it well. It is usually the early stages of diabetes but most doctors don't want to deal with it. By constructing meals and snacks that don't spike you , you will be able to control some of these spikes and bg plunges. I like to keep my bgs in a pretty tight range low 80's - low 100's, that is where I feel best. If I eat the wrong food and spike and drop, I feel physically sick.

Reactions: Dodie37737
O

·
0 Posts
hi Resided :) you sound like you're having a difficult time getting control of BGLs there. It's not unusual though as all of us struggle with it from time to time. You probably really need to have the diagnostic tests done regularly to keep it in check... just in case you actually do have diabetes. I get regular hypos as I have a stomach condition too and taking insulin makes things a bit unpredictable. Your experience with the potato isn't surprising as I personally can't handle potato or other vegetable carbs very well either. I get a sudden spike and a sudden drop and usually wind up with a hypo within 1.5 hours after eating them. I stick to wholegrain cereals as my carbs. It sounds like you have to carry around quick acting carbs with your condition you currently have. I also have condition called pcos which meant that I was getting a lot of ovarian cysts... I've been Ok since been place on med for that. But I was going to comment that you probably have a hormonal imbalance going on there if you are having that trouble as it certainly impacts on insulin levels I've noticed in the past. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Live Happy
63 Posts
Yeah, I used to go down low like that but I am now on my third year diagnosed and my levels tend to stay at 95 to about 125. I never really ever feel anything unless my levels drop then I feel dizzy, but that's about it.

When I get sick my levels may stay in the 130 rang, but once I feel better, the levels go back down. I finally went to the doctor and my a1c was 6.0 I was okay with that a bit to high for me but I will just work harder to lower it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts