The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Keeping in mind I am not diabetic (yet!) I'm heading to the doctor today because I have an infected wound on my knee. I fell and I've been self treating but it looks worse today and since tomorrow is a holiday I realized I better get in. There is drainage and redness around the wound which I've been treating with twice daily dressing changes and antibiotic cream.

How likely is it that I will be prescribed an oral antibiotic??? I REALLY don't want to take one if its avoidable, but I am beginning to get that I need to take this seriously.

WTH??? I've never had a problem like this before. My diet is good and my bg is under tight control (a little high for me this morning --96-- stress I think).

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I betcha, along with stress, the infection from the wound is raising your BG.

If it is oozing and inflamed, I am sure your doctor will prescribe and antibiotic. And, while I am very much opposed to taking them profligately, it sounds like you are risk of bacterial infection (even though you medicated & kept it clean).

I encourage you to talk to your doctor seriously about it if antibiotics are prescribed. They may be a good idea in this case.

PS, with the abscess and root canal I ended taking a lot of antibiotics in the last few months. My BG paid absolutely no attention to them (so far, they are the only thing I have found that did not raise my BG).

Reactions: Janknitz

·
Banned
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been working REALLY hard on my gut flora, so I'm hoping to avoid oral antibiotics. :eek:( Not too worried about the effect on BG.

I have been using a generic antibiotic cream and at first things were looking much better, but today there is more redness, oozing and pain. Wah!

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
You might be able to talk him into a perscription-level topical, or even a shot into the affected area. No gut flora interference!

·
Registered
837 Posts
I've been working REALLY hard on my gut flora, so I'm hoping to avoid oral antibiotics. :eek:( Not too worried about the effect on BG.

I have been using a generic antibiotic cream and at first things were looking much better, but today there is more redness, oozing and pain. Wah!
It may be that the particular antibiotic cream is spreading the infection by not being strong enough. I would try a spray on or the old standbys like iodine or mecerchome (?spelling). How large is the area?

·
Banned
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It may be that the particular antibiotic cream is spreading the infection by not being strong enough. I would try a spray on or the old standbys like iodine or mecerchome (?spelling). How large is the area?
I think you're right! It's a very old tube of antibiotic cream. I'll stop off at the drugstore on the way home and get some fresh antibiotic cream and I'm running out of dressing supplies.

My doctor's appointment was a bust--after waiting 20 minutes they came out and told me it would be "at least" 30 more minutes and I was tired, grumpy (no lunch) and STILL had to go back to the office to do more work late in the afternoon, so I bailed. I can go to urgent care tomorrow if necessary--fun way to spend thanksgiving--NOT. I was planning a hike early in the day. Maybe it will be OK with the new cream--fingers crossed.

It's a big area--two wounds each about 1 - 1 1/2 " in diameter right next to each other. I've been photographing it each dressing change because I can't see it that well, it's on part of the knee that's kind of far away to see without glasses and too blurry with them because of my progressive lenses. I don't think anyone wants to see my yucky wounds so I'm not posting them, but it's good for comparison. This morning there was more redness and pain compared to yesterday, but it's not as large a red area or as painful and hot as on Sunday. There's another wound from the same fall on my finger that got infected too, but it's doing much better.

The fall was a shock! I'm pretty sure my foot slipped off the driveway, but it was one of those falls that I didn't realize I was falling until I hit the ground. I banged my nose, my lips, my right index finger and my left knee. I wrenched my wrist and shoulder but not too badly. I ended up on the driveway just behind my car's tire and I couldn't get up because I couldn't get on that knee. I was afraid to use the car for support in case the parking brake didn't hold on the inclined driveway, so I pulled out my cell phone and called my husband who was in the house. He came out to help me up. Thank goodness for cell phones!

My daughter is teasing me that I'm ready for one of those "I"ve fallen and I can't get up" buttons. Ugh!

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
When we were children (long ago :() we used boric powder as an antiseptic on cuts and injuries. In traditional Indian home remedies, turmeric is the go-to substance for almost every ill/ness.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I have been known to alternate antibiotic cream and slathers of coconut oil. For my system, CO is a great healer. I have also sometimes left a bad cut unbandaged (to dry out) for a few hours.

I am guessing you are watching for dark streaks running up or down from the wounds?

I hear you about trying to repopulate the gut microbiome after taking antibiotics! Soil-based probiotics tend to raise my BG more than I like, but I am taking them, eating RS2 and RS3, and hoping.

Reactions: Roxanne0312

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I have been known to alternate antibiotic cream and slathers of coconut oil. For my system, CO is a great healer. I have also sometimes left a bad cut unbandaged (to dry out) for a few hours.

I am guessing you are watching for dark streaks running up or down from the wounds?

I hear you about trying to repopulate the gut microbiome after taking antibiotics! Soil-based probiotics tend to raise my BG more than I like, but I am taking them, eating RS2 and RS3, and hoping.
Coconut Oil has antiseptic properties. I Keeps my skin soft and supple with no cracking. I also put in anywhere else I think I need it. I also make coconut oil and shea butter soap. Best soap in the world, LOL. I used to sell it, but got away from that. I'm thinking I might do it again, so many ppl ask me for it. So take it internally, cook with it, and slather it all over, but be careful when getting out of the tub. Can make an oily mess lol.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Sorry to hear about your knee, and I understand wanting to avoid antibiotics. Please stay safe and see a doctor soon!

I recently lost the fight against taking an oral antibiotic. I avoid them because they give me diarrhea for months afterwards.

This time around I started taking a very strong probiotic (Bio-Kult). I took 4 pills a day for 3 days before I started taking the antibiotic (would have taken it even longer before starting but I couldn't wait). Then I continued to take them while on the antibiotic, making sure to never take them at the same time (so morning antibiotic, mid-day probiotic, evening antibiotic) and continued to take them for 2 weeks after I was done with the antibiotic.

I don't know if I just got lucky this time but I had no ill effects from the antibiotics.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
It's difficult to do sometimes, but giving the wound a really good cleaning right when it happens is crucial. I think that getting new cream is a great idea and might work well. I hope that works!

·
Banned
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It looks MUCH better today! I think the finger wound looks like it will close soon and the weepy area on the worst of the two knee wounds is noticeably smaller.

I also got some mesh netting to hold the dressing in place with less tape and it's much more comfortable than the elasticized wrap I had been using. Yay!

I love coconut oil, but I don't think it would have done much at this stage because this wound started out superficial and became deep pretty alarmingly fast. Yikes! I have primary lymphedema which has mostly been under good control with LCHF (I think it's the fats that help!) but lately that leg has been more swollen. So that compounds the healing, too. Once it closes up I'll use CO for scar massage for sure.

I was starting to get a little scared that this wasn't going to heal. I'm not 100% yet, but it's looking much more hopeful.

I never bother much with superficial cuts and scrapes, but I guess Ive learned my lesson now!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I had to look up primary lymphedema. Sympathies and very not good. I vote you take even the most superficial cut very, very seriously!

Great news that the new medicated cream and new mesh bandage seem to be encouraging healing! Keep us informed.

Reactions: JT Reagan
1 - 17 of 17 Posts