The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm newly dx'ed and my former breakfasts are out the window: muesli with fruit, cereal, fruit, did I say fruit? I'm a fruitaholic, which is going to be the toughest part of the change for me.

I do eat eggs on occasion but don't like them enough to have every day. I didn't eat a lot of meat, and am concerned about cholesterol so not sure bacon (though I love it!) is something I should start eating.

Right now I'm eating celery and string cheese for breakfast - or an apple with peanut butter. Clearly I need more ideas :)

Thanks for any/all suggestions.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
How do you feel about avocados? Here is a fruit that must have been invented for diabetics! Many of us use avocado for breakfast, sometimes just sliced with a dash of salt. I also make guacamole to keep handy, & eat it with cheese crisps - it's a terrific meal! Otherwise, don't avoid the bacon unless it's sugar-cured. We just had a real eye-opening experience when my DH got his bloodwork done this week . . . he's been on essentially the same low-carb/high-fat way of eating that I use for my diabetes, and his cholesterol has improved like you can't imagine! Check this thread: http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-forum-lounge/4481-test-results-non-diabetic.html#post31322

I'm a believer in eating whatever you like for whatever meal you decide, so if there's a nice piece of leftover beefsteak, I may well be having it for breakfast the following day, and the same goes for things like broccoli salad & other entreés or side dishes leftover from previous meals.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
My breakfast is usually:

One egg, one piece of sprouted grain toast with natural peanut butter and sugar-free jam, or;

One egg, granny smith apple cut-up in pieces with 1 tbls of peanut butter, or;

small omelette (2 eggs, or 1 egg and egg beaters, diced ham, green onion, green pepper, tomato, spices and shredded cheese) with 4oz of pure juice or some mixed berries, or;

steak and eggs (If I have leftover steak... or I'll sometimes have a burger patty and eggs) with 4oz of juice or some mixed berries, or;

Very low-carb pancakes with either Walden Farms syrup, or a mixed berry compote. My pancake recipe, based on others I've seen on the net and in the forum, is here, feel free to play with it to make something you enjoy.

That's pretty typical fare for me, anyway. Like you, cereal is NOT my friend.

How about a fruit-FLAVORED protein shake? Using splenda-sweetened flavoring syrups?

Or as Shanny says, avocado? Or some almonds ... or almond milk, or MCS's "cereal?" http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/4165-breakfast-cereal.html

There are many recipes here, that might help!
I should probably try a fruit/protein smoothie for breakfast too. Haven't tried MCS's cereal, I should make some... thanks for the reminder!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Do try MCS's cereal . . . it really is stupendous! But we're going to have to stop calling it "cereal", aren't we?! :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Do try MCS's cereal . . . it really is stupendous! But we're going to have to stop calling it "cereal", aren't we?! :D :D :D
Well, "cereal" is a generic catch-all for stuff we pour in a bowl and eat at breakfast... so I have no issues with that.

My kids call 'fruit loops' cereal ... and lets be honest, there's really no cereals in that stuff...

I have to figure out what I can use best in place of the coconut oil though, as I'm unfortunately allergic to it.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I'm newly dx'ed and my former breakfasts are out the window: muesli with fruit, cereal, fruit, did I say fruit? I'm a fruitaholic, which is going to be the toughest part of the change for me.

I do eat eggs on occasion but don't like them enough to have every day. I didn't eat a lot of meat, and am concerned about cholesterol so not sure bacon (though I love it!) is something I should start eating.

Right now I'm eating celery and string cheese for breakfast - or an apple with peanut butter. Clearly I need more ideas :)

Thanks for any/all suggestions.
Hello moon and welcome to the forum! Yes, most of the foods that you did enjoy will go out the window. You might want to check on getting some almond flour. It is really low in carbs. You could cook some pancakes up and have them for meals. I was eating bacon and eggs everyday and I can't do that anymore because of my lipid levels. But do check with your doctor about what will actually increase your cholesterol. Eating meat, cheeses, eggs and full or high fat foods won't spike your blood sugar. I do eat breakfast bowls by Jimmy Dean about twice per week. They have some white potatoes included so each bacon bowl has 22 carbs. I hope you have time to visit often and take care.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Well I don't worry about fat or calories or cholesterol... it's the carbs that are most important in my experience.

I have cheese and bacon or pepperoni, or any leftover meats. I can't do eggs first thing, so I save those for lunch.

A good food combo is to take a piece of ham and fry it up, top with cheese and and poached/fried egg = low carb eggs benedict (kind of, you can always use hollandaise)

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, guys - you gave me some great ideas. I LOVE avocado and had one now for breakfast. I'll check out various low-fat tasty sausages, buy my first package of bacon in maybe 10 years, and make those astounding-sounding granolos - and incorporate your other ideas.

One thing I decided I absolutely cannot give up is my huge mug of coffee in the AM w/ 2 (measured) tsps of sugar. Will just have to give up in other areas. I savor it, it makes me happy, I roast my own coffee, I'm a coffee freak. Maybe in time I can gradually reduce the sugar.

I don't like splenda or any of the others I tried, but I'll definitely buy the one used for the granolo - that one sounds it could be very different.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
You might also try Truvia packets for your coffee. Truvia is erythritol and a little stevia -- I use it in my tea, all the time!

For some reason it is only in packets ... FDA SNAFU.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
You might also try Truvia packets for your coffee. Truvia is erythritol and a little stevia -- I use it in my tea, all the time!

For some reason it is only in packets ... FDA SNAFU.
Thanks for that, I didn't realize Truvia was a mix of both... I saw it in one of the stores here.

I made the mistake of buying a HUGE costco box of Splenda packets... and found out after testing that it doesn't do my BG many favors like I hoped. It's better on my meter than sugar, but not enough to use it all the time. :(

I can't bring myself to buy any new sweetener as long as I have that in the house... but I rarely use it because it's not spike-free.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Thanks for that, I didn't realize Truvia was a mix of both... I saw it in one of the stores here.

I made the mistake of buying a HUGE costco box of Splenda packets... and found out after testing that it doesn't do my BG many favors like I hoped. It's better on my meter than sugar, but not enough to use it all the time. :(

I can't bring myself to buy any new sweetener as long as I have that in the house... but I rarely use it because it's not spike-free.
I was in your situation with Equal. I bought 12-1 pound boxes. I found out that this spiked my blood sugar pretty high. I kept it around for about 9 months and finally packed it up and took it to the food bank, they were thrilled to death to have this. It made me feel good. :):)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Has anyone tried Stevia? What are the general thoughts on it? I have it in my tea and find it to be quite delicious.

Thanks,

Jeremy

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Has anyone tried Stevia? What are the general thoughts on it? I have it in my tea and find it to be quite delicious.

Thanks,

Jeremy
I have tried every type of Stevia and I do not like it alone. My taste buds tells me "no". I do use erythritol and stevia blended and love this. It is called Steviva. If interested go to Steviva Brands - High quality stevia, stevioside, RebA, Stevia recipes, stevia sweetener, cooking with stevia, stevia rebaudiana, stevia, fructose, fructevia.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I didn't really like the Stevia by itself either.

My husband bought me Sun Crystals which is cane sugar and stevia. There really is just a tiny bit in each pack and you have to stir for a bit to get it to dissolve, but I really liked it and it didn't effect my blood sugar.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Breakfast

Being an absolute bread lover prior to the diagnosis, I couldn't imagine breakfast w/o a slice . Scandinavian bran crisp bread saved me. Tough as a homosaw, but @ 12 calories/ 7 carb/ 5 fiber plus some calcium, b1 etc it is godsend. I usually have it with mashed avocado, slice of mozarella (makes it softer), slice of tomato, cucumber or sth like that. Available at wholefoods or health websites and it is inexpensive.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Being an absolute bread lover prior to the diagnosis, I couldn't imagine breakfast w/o a slice . Scandinavian bran crisp bread saved me. Tough as a homosaw, but @ 12 calories/ 7 carb/ 5 fiber plus some calcium, b1 etc it is godsend. I usually have it with mashed avocado, slice of mozarella (makes it softer), slice of tomato, cucumber or sth like that. Available at wholefoods or health websites and it is inexpensive.
Crispbread is my ace-in-the-hole too . . . I usually use it with cream cheese spreads, but today for breakfast I just paired it with a thick slice of ham. I also crumble it up with assorted chopped nuts & eat it like cold cereal.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I`m not a breakfast person. I`m a slow starter in the morning.
First I will enjoy a cup of coffee with whipped cream, and then I asks myself what I do want to eat.
Sometimes I end up with
-egg and bacon and a tomato,
-or an omelette with ham, cheese and some vegetables,
-A couple of crackers with butter, a good cheese and some pepper,
-Chicken salad
-my own musli with "princessyoughurt"
-a slice of my protein bread with fish and some herbs,
-leftovers
-8 Brazil nuts and a kiwi
-or something completly different.
I dont like to eat the same each day, I`m afraid:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts