The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Hi Judith - welcome to the forum. Which type are you? What are your numbers? What is your current diet? How much do you want to lose? This isn't an inquisition, but how we get to know each other ;)

Without knowing anything about you, I can say generally that we're all shapes and sizes here, with all different ways of eating. However, many of us here eat LCHF (low-carb, high-fat) and have been successful managing our weight. I've lost about 50 pounds, and though I want to lose more, I don't seem to gain no matter how many macadamia nuts I eat (and I can pack those delectable bits away!

My main focus has been on keeping my blood sugar in line, and restricting carbs, and the weight seems to pretty much take care of itself. At least I'm seemingly resistant to gaining!

Glad you found us.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi moon. I am type 2. I'm metformin-xr, 2 times a day. 500 mg. also on glyburide, 1.25 mg 2times a day. My A1c just 2days ago was 7.3. Blood sugars usually run from 100 up to 190, in the am. Pm any where from 100 to 130. I do not sleep well. I am 4 ft 7. Really need to lose at lease 50 lbs. do not handle stress well, not even a little bit. This alone up sets all my readings. Right now, just thinking about what I can do to make my day better with food on my bus. Oh, I am 70 years young. Hehe. Judy

Judy

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Thanks for jumping in with more about yourself. I'm 61 so same generation, and though it's harder for us to lose weight, it's more doable than I imagined before dx. Stress is a tough nut to manage, and you have my empathy and compassion on that score.

Has your doc discussed with you why s/he's keeping you at 1000 mg metformin vs increasing to the maximum XR dose of 2000? It's often preferred to glyburide since it doesn't stress the pancreas to produce more of our finite insulin. Just an aside in case you haven't discussed this possible alternative.

What is your diet like now? With your bg going up to 190, I'm wondering if further carb restriction wouldn't help. How many carbs do you eat in a day - approximately?

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Welcome Judy! I have tried a couple different diets (ADA, Atkins, South Beach, etc) and have been most happy with LCHF too. I restrict my carbs which helps my blood sugar and weight loss. I get enough protein to maintain bone and muscle and then the rest is healthy fats.

I eat real, unprocessed foods, avoiding sugar/bread/rice/pasta/potatoes and enjoying my favorite foods: eggs, cheese, yogurt, pork chops, steak, broccoli with butter, big salads with ranch dressing, spaghetti squash, etc. I have gone from needing to eat every 2 hours to 3 meals a day without any hunger or cravings in between. When I do indulge in a dessert, I made it low-carb and enjoy it guilt free. So I don't miss out of much.

If you are interested in understanding what LCHF is all about, here is a good introduction: LCHF for Beginners.

Is there any diet in particular you were thinking of trying?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know how to count carbs. I try to watch the bread, pasta, etc. I was on 2000 mg a day, but made me find all bathrooms in the world. I'm thinking about trying a tread mill to see what would happen.

Judy

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Judy, welcome to DF. Many say it is harder for older women to lose weight. But since I was 50 I have lost almost 80 pounds. I lost it slowly though with diet and exercise. I became diabetic about 5 years ago and lost the last 30 pounds using low carb diet. Once I became aware of carbs and what they did to my blood sugar, I started to limit the carbs per meal. The weight loss came as a nice side effect. You might want to talk to your doctor about increasing your metformin and dropping the glyburide. The glyburide works by overstimulating insulin in our pancreas which may make us more hungry during the day. Many of us are on the higher doses of metformin ( 2000- ER, 2550- Regular). Many of us do something called Eat to our meter. That means we test 2 hours after meals. At no time do you want to go higher than 120-140. Many of us even set the bar lower. I use 110-115 as a target number. That means I won't eat carbs that send me over that number. I have tested hundreds of foods and eliminated from my diet. The big offenders are

1. Cereals, even oatmeal
2. All breads made with grains especially wheat
3. Rice, even brown
4. All Pastas
5. Almost all fruits. I do eat small amounts of berries about once per week.
6. Most crackers made from grains. ( WASA and GG Bran Crispbread are the
only exception.

Instead of those foods I sub in other foods. Over Christmas I made tons of Christmas Cookies but made them with Almond Flour, Flaxseed, Coconut Flour. So you can still eat a lot of calories just not calories from carbs. I usually aim for 10-15 carbs per meal, less at breakfast, more at lunch. Many of us are more sensitive to carbs in the morning. The other thing is to realise is Fat is our friend. Many people in our age range have been raised to fear fat. Now that I am eating butter, coconut oil, bacon and fatty meats again my weight and bg have dropped.

Reactions: Daytona

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
cut your portions in at least half.
no carbs
nothing white in color
walk at least three miles each and every day

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.