The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question that I'm hoping you folks might be able to help with. I don't have diabetes, but my Dad just got diagnosed last week with type 2. I'm trying to help him figure out a meal plan, and we are both relatively unfamiliar with Diabetes. At the moment, I'm looking for suggestions on healthy meal plans for him. He's not overweight... about 5'11'', 175 - 180 lbs, and 56 years old. He's on a fixed income (say $200 a month for food), so cost is obviously a factor. And he also happens to be an extremely stubborn man... so dealing with these dietary changes is going to be a challenge for him. Most of the food he consumes is loaded in carbohydrates. He basically refuses to eat vegetables. And he loathes chicken. :eek:hwell: lol... I could really use some help in trying to find out what he can eat and portion sizes. Any suggestions???

·
Registered
444 Posts
Wow sounds like you have your hands full. My husband was recently DX with Type 2 also. He don't care much for chicken either. We eat a lot of red meat ( steaks,hamburger meat,roast and stew meat). Every once in awhile I can throw in some fish and pork. First we cut all sugar then the major carbs like bread,pasta,potatoes and chips. I make him a salad with most meals and lucky that he likes spinach. This weekend I plan to make his first low carb bread since he is getting so tired of salad for lunch. They can have deli sandwich meat not processed pkgs. The deli sliced in pkgs just check the carbs. He has eggs and bacon or sausage for breakfast just no toast or hash browns. Most of the members here use full fat butter and mayo. It has sure helped my husband get his numbers down pretty quick. What was ur dads numbers? Is he in meds? Again I am pretty new here too only been DX for a month. Best of luck to you getting your dad to bend, and welcome you will find lots of help here. We sure did :)

·
Registered
444 Posts
I don't know how to post links but you can check out bloodsugar101.com there is lots of good info there. I also did a lot of YouTube just search low carb cooking there are some good ideas there. We also have a recipe board here I am sure someone will post you a link. Other members have suggested my husband eat until he is satisfied as long as it's low carb high fat. My husband is a pretty big guy at 6'0 tall 275lbs and he hasn't complained too much I am trying to make it as painless for him as possible.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Blood Sugar 101 is a great place to start. The problem is carbs. When you eat carbs they turn to sugar in your bloodstream raising your bgs. The first thing your dad needs is to buy a meter and use it when he wakes up , before and 2 hour after meals. Ideally bgs should be 100 or less when he wakes up and
120-140 or lower 2 hours after her starts to eat. I was also 56 when I was dx'd with diabetes. Since I was a vegetarian eating lots of veggies, oatmeal and whole grains I thought I had a good diabetic. But for a diabetic it was a terrible diet. I am now a meat eater again. The base of every meal is some kind of meat, a source of fat and a double serving of veggies. The things I have eliminated from my diet is all things made from flour, all cereal, all fruit and of course sugar. Everything else I can eat. My favorite meals are a bunless bacon cheese burger or a small steak. For breakfast bacon and eggs is fantastic for my bgs. Will your dad eat salad, if so try to throw a few more veggies in it. Often I will cut up celery and put cream cheese or peanut butter on it. Instead of crackers and dip, use veggies and dip. If he wants to manage his diabetes he is going to have to learn to like a few veggies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts