The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends,
I was diagnosed with type2 diabetes 3 days ago. I am going through an emotional pain.

I feel I have let every one down.

I am 38 and I have a 5 year old daughter and 1 year old son and aging parents. All of them depend on me. I really have some huge responsibilities over the next 25 years.
I am willing to fight this disease. I need help and support from you. I need friend like me.
-FTTF

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hi There: :)

I'm sorry to hear that. I can imagine that you are in shock right now. If you need to, have yourself some Good crys preferrably when the Kids aren't around. Then pick yourself up, and start living your New Life. Did your Dr. or Certified Diabetic Educator(CDE) or Dietician give you any information or do you have to take classes? Your Kids will be Fine. Just make them feel secure.

There are some Good books on Diabetes. If you can, do get the book: The First Year Type 2 Diabetes: An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed (Paperback) by Gretchen Becker. Until then, any questions that you have, please ask. We'll try to help.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Welcome to our community! The adjustment to being a diabetic is more difficult for adults than for children. I was 6 when diagnosed 63 years ago. I was carefree and it did not affect me much emotionally. I hated needles and giving up candy but i adjusted rather easily. Your adjustment will be more difficult but you will do it. Just be patient. Time heals all wounds. Terrie recommended an excellent book. A CDE and a dietitian are also great choices. Good luck to you!

Richard

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi there!

Seeing you came on the internet to look for information about diabetes, means that you are willing to learn more about it. That is a good sign. Being in denial wouldn't help you any further.

Your kids will be fine. In fact they will benifit from your new lifestyle. You will be healthier, you will eat healthier and they will enjoy you longer. See it as a positive way of life.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Terrie and Richard and Everyone,

Thanks for all your support. I means a lot to hear back. I am just a
little overwhelmed right now.

I will get myself a copy of the book that Terrie recommends.

When the doctor covered the possible complications of the type 2, I was absolutely taken down and felt a lot of guilt.

I really need all your support and hope can provide the same to others

- Dan

·
Registered
211 Posts
Terrie and Richard and Everyone,

Thanks for all your support. I means a lot to hear back. I am just a
little overwhelmed right now.

I will get myself a copy of the book that Terrie recommends.

When the doctor covered the possible complications of the type 2, I was absolutely taken down and felt a lot of guilt.

I really need all your support and hope can provide the same to others

- Dan
Hey Dan,

I understand your worries, believe me. But did your doctor also tell you about good control? It minimises the chance on getting complications. You can do this Dan! You can learn about diabetes and get in good control. I give you a hug, if that helps...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi mystruggleSPV .You made a great choice by entering this group .You will need all the support you can .It's difficult at times but if you follow your diet, exercise .Did the doctor put you on medication or only diet an exercise.You will find that having the support from this group will help you to cope at times when you need it .And maybe you can help somebody with your experience.Good Luck and take care of yourself. Bye Ricky

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ricky,
Thanks for your good words. ..

Its on my shoulder. I need to be there to support my family. This is a promise I will not fail on.

The doctor put me on Amaryl M2, diet and exercise

- Dan

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hello Dan: :)

I'm not sure why you are feeling guilty but throw that guilt away.
You don't need it. You are starting on a more healthy Life and that is more important.

I was young and my Dr. back then(bless his heart)didn't tell me anything about Diabetes. He told my Mom some things about Diabetes. It wasn't a popular disease back then and much was unknown.

I know what you are talking about. I did hear what would supposedly happen to me until age 30. Then death. :eek: This info was told to me at around age 8 by some "well-meaning Folks".

Well, I still have all my parts, I can see Fine except I wear glasses for reading and I'm pretty sure that I'm still alive. :D So, if you're willing to put your Best into it most of the time, your Kids will be married and having their own so you can Baby-sit them. ;)

I hope that you are testing and keeping a log of it. Show it to Your Dr. so he can see how you are doing. It's a Good idea for Diabetics to test when they wake up, before they eat breakfast, lunch and supper, 2 hrs. after each meal and at bedtime. Also if they feel Very tired, weak, dizzy, sweaty, can't think straight, unusually irritable, etc. Also if they are ill since sugars rises in this situation usually. After they figure out what's working for them and have a decent regime then Type 2's can test about 3-4 times a day.

Some Doctors don't think Type 2's need to test much but how else are you supposed to know how your sugar levels are or how foods or activities affect you more?

Anyways, just take it slow. I hope that you will not be overwhelmed by too much info. And please ask if you have any questions.

Many Good words from Cathy, Richard, and Ricky.

·
Registered
279 Posts
MystruggleSPJ, you're going to do okay. There are many people here who have lots of experience who can guide you along. See if your local hospital has any Diabetes Education Classes. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in March of 2007 and attended the classes. They were very informative and a good base of knowledge there. Also, you can call on them anytime with questions, they are a good resource if that is available to you. I still consider myself a 'new' diabetic as I feel I am still learning a lot along the way. Test your glucoses as your doctor told you to do and share those numbers with him/her so the doc can follow your progress. Good luck and God bless. Let us all walk down this path together!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Just relax!!

Take a deep breath MystruggleSPJ, and take the advise a bit at a time. This is a shock to some people and they think it's food that they think it's wrong and it just a turn for the better food & exercise. Look at food that gives you energy and do something with it. For instance there is some yummy ice cream but you have to work it off and create some sort of sweat and drink water. If you do this, just be sure that you have some sweet things within easy reach if you experience a low. Low's are times that you feel weak and disoriented and shaking. At this time take this sweet thing and rest and sit down until you recover. :) This may be true to type 1's but also type 2's too. ;)
Welcome to our world and enjoy our company. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello everyone,
Thanks for all the support and encouraging words. I will be an active member of this and lets travel together. I feel a lot better today then the weekend. I looked my family this morning and everything is easy after that.
- Dan

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Oh I'm so Glad to hear that Dan. :D You'll have your ups and downs with Diabetes and its treatment but Life has those bumps anyway. Good for you! One step at a time. We'd be Happy to read your your questions, comments, ideas and experiences. YW!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts